Phantom Theater Pepper's Ghost Effect

KIghostguy

Welcome to KIC, love the avatar. Like many of us I love Phantom Theater and you should also check out my PT haunt forum along with my Boo Blasters TLC forum. I read that you never got to experience Phantom, well I promise you it was a very special ride and hopefully in the near future we will have something like it. I will try to explain the Peppers Ghost trick. It was one of my favorite scenes. Basically you have a big glass mirror and the characters stood above and below the glass. And also the canon and other props were placed there. Basically what your seeing is the reflection which appears to make the characters float. the video on Youtube doesn't do it justice. You really had to see it in person to get the full affect. I hope that helped you some. Just a memory of mine that I thought I'd share. There is lots of Phantom Theater stuff still floating around today. Especially during Haunt. If you look around there's lots of stuff in the mazes. I knew right when I saw this post I would try to answer it off my memory of the ride. Hope this helped you and I hope for a Phantom-like ride in the near future. Thanks!, Maestro.

• Like 2

Caution: Unless you're good at suspending disbelief, once you've seen it, you can't "un-see" it, so the experience will be lost with your newly-trained eyes! So if you haven't yet experienced an attraction that uses the classic effect, don't spoil yourself by knowing the effect going in. Be amazed first, then peek behind the curtain!

• Like 6

Oh, I was speaking generally. It's one of those things where, if someone hears about something, and they can look it up in the instant-information world we live in, and then, if they should happen to later visit a Pepper's Ghost attraction, they won't experience it with the intended wonder and amazement first. That is all.

• Like 2

^If you are looking into more effects produced in the golden era of Haunted Houses, check out some of Disney's Haunted Mansion literature. I have a few books at home with key effects detailed, I can't exactly show you the book, but I will say that if you are very interested, it's a good investment.

• Like 2

Yea, I'm obsessed with Disney's Haunted Mansion. I have so many books about it it's ridiculous BB1.  Like I said above, I'm trying to figure out what characters were in this scene and what they were doing, since as far as I have seen there are no good photographs of this room and no good videos. 

-Ghost Guy

• Like 2

Well basically during this scene all the characters from the theater are doing their speciality acts. Maestro is on the organ, Garbonzo shoots out of the cannon. Hodelini is floating while doing his magic trick, Helga Bolvine is singing, there is audience members watching the scene looking down in the balcony, and basically thats it. There is also a castle in the background and a couple of other props but basically during the peppers ghost scene, the characters just do they're acts. Hope that helped you some and if you have any more questions on Phantom, I'm sure me or someone else can answer it. Thanks!, Maestro

• Like 2

Not from what I can remember, I think those two just had that scene in the beginning. Although I seem to remember Lionel being in the Peppers Ghost scene. Sorry my memory is foggy, the last time I rode Phantom was 2002 and by then most of the original effects had stopped working correctly. Like during one ride The furnace guys arm fell off. Lots of times during its final seasons the ride would stop halfway through or some of the characters would be missing arms,legs, or even heads. It fell apart like all great rides do. If by some miracle this year they get the animatronics out for Haunt like they used to, you can clearly see the shape they're in. Also the furnace from Phantom is used on Slaughterhouse and the Phantom Mouse on Board to Death.

• Like 1

The primary reason the ride stopped in its last days was guest misbehavior. Getting out, doing things wildly inappropriate for a family ride, etc.

Yea, I heard that vandalism was pretty prevalent as well. I guess people thought that since this isn't Disney, the consequences woudn't be as big as if they had vandalized, say, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And also, adding on to what terp said, guest in the queue would throw food at Maestro. And also when riding I remember seeing spit and gum on the glass during scenes on the ride like the beginning portraits and Peppers Ghost scene, where immature kids would spit there gum on. Us who really loved the ride hated to see it like that in Phantoms later years, and the park rarely cleaned it up.

And also not sure if the first post worked, but some really immature teens would try and break the characters fingers or steal props from the ride. That really (pardon my French) ticked me off.

I've not heard of this happening at Kings Island but more at Disney with the Pirates and It's a Small World attractions.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On most Disney's dark rides they have sensor pads along the edge of the ride systems to detect if someone steps out of the ride unit. (Mansion, Mermaid, Splash, Buzz, etc) Thus immediately e-stopping the ride.

I was able to go under Haunted Mansion and see the Peppers Ghost effect during operation one day. Very cool effect and a lot more characters then I realized while riding.

Indeed

• Like 6

On most Disney's dark rides they have sensor pads along the edge of the ride systems to detect if someone steps out of the ride unit. (Mansion, Mermaid, Splash, Buzz, etc) Thus immediately e-stopping the ride.

I was able to go under Haunted Mansion and see the Peppers Ghost effect during operation one day. Very cool effect and a lot more characters then I realized while riding.

Indeed

Lucky! One of my dreams (though I don't think it will ever happen) is to walk through Haunted Mansion with the lights on.

Yeah they're pretty much the same character except one is a magician and one is a stunt performer. Man all this talk of Phantom makes me miss it more everyday. But at least we still have a dark ride that's fairly spooky and "decent" but it's still no where near Phantom or Enchanted Voyage.

Hopefully though some of the Phantom Theater props will be used during Haunt this year.

They likely will, but not in a way you want.

The past few years they have been covered in burlap and displayed outside of Madame Fatal's. Those were never really meant to be outdoors so they are in really bad shape now. It was fun while it lasted.

• Like 6