Fight inside Carowinds Halloween Haunt

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/fight-involving-dozens-teen-breaks-out-scarowinds-/nnj6c/

I highly doubt this is a joking matter that other Carowinds Enthusiasts are taking it as on another site.

I added another link, original link only said in parking lot.

Edit: http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_346301/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Y26RUMwP

• Like 5

A lot of parents consider the parks themselves to be a babysitting service. I've seen girls dropped off at the park that had to been younger than 12 at KI (one of those girls I wouldn't be shocked was 10 or younger). My grandpa would never let me venture around CP by myself when I was that young without my cousins with me.

• Like 9

So, what is the solution for parks to prevent these situations? What are steps they can take to show there is due dilligence to make these events safe and fun for their guests?

I'm asking as I'm curious; I don't attend these events as they aren't my cup of tea so I have no experience with what could be the main cause and solution.

Can the parks make these events completely safe?  No, because they bring a different crowd and the atmosphere within the park creates a heightened mood (fight or flight).  The 2 best options parks have is the hire more off duty officers as security and to require guests 16 and under to have a responsible adult for entry.  Would it solve these issues?  No, but I think it would be step in the right direction.

• Like 5

The event brings in a lot of money, so it's highly unlikely the park will start restricting certain age groups, etc..

It would be the consumer who doesn't attend due to the atmosphere that will have to decide the nature of the venue.

I used to go two nights, then down to one. Last year I went to the daytime event.

This year I doubt if I'll be going.

It's not the workers or the Scaractors, it's the patrons. 

Last year during the daytime event, we stayed long enough to see the Haunt begin. And the creepiest thing were the patrons.

My cousin said to me, "It's getting a little sketchy around here, isn't it?"

And I wouldn't not have even minded, if it weren't for the fact we had two elementary school age children in line with us.

I know this event is geared towards the type of person who appreciates darker things, but it started to feel real carny, real fast.

And the monsters weren't even in place, yet.

• Like 2

But why do people search out fights and drama? Why do some haunted/scare events seem to be a target for such things?

I personally dislike the saying "blank will be blank" as I think it gives people a blanket excuse for poor behavior. I know many calm level headed teenagers and I know some adults that fly off the handle at the hint of an slight because they jumped to the wrong conclusion.

• Like 5

The two easiest answers are A)Demographic of the patrons of said park... Location, location, location as Terpy said and B)Darkness and that atmosphere combined just BEG for this kind of stupidity.  Im a former LEO, and Ive walked around KI during Haunt, and with the asinine amount of theatrical fog in the place I counted no less than a dozen places for unscrupulous characters to do nefarious things to other patrons in just the area surrounding the Tower.  I wont even get into the perils of Rivertown and the train.

• Like 2

It's mob mentality and it's happening everywhere. It happened several months ago on Fountain Square and spilled over into Government Square. It's happened at malls,fairs and sports venues. All it takes is a look or a shove and the hormones take over. As I recall, it happened in the Paramount years in Action Zone during a summer DJ rave. It could and has happened in queue lines at parks. There is a noticeable lack of compassion or empathy among part of this generation and I would be surprised if there weren't even some badge of courage attached to these gang attacks. I don't see a foreseeable solution except a change in culture which could take many years.

• Like 7