Blackout Reviews

Dane

jcgoble3, MNFriedOreo and I went through - with jcgoble3 "leading" the way. We were oddly paired with a group of young teenagers, so the monsters completely ignored us adults in front. Not a fan of being paired with a stranger's children in this. I was grabbing (and being grabbed) by people the entire time - I didn't know who was with us, who was part of another (lost) group, or who was an actor.

I like the concept, and overall I enjoyed the experience. With low capacity and personal space issues, I personally think it should be an upcharge with a fee charged per group.

• Like 3

Went through Blackout last night. Flow through the maze has VASTLY improved with the rope system. It's not perfect, but it's so, so much better. The scareactors actually had the opportunity to, y'know, scare people, and they were doing an excellent job of it. The only thing I could possibly complain about was the lowish number of scareactors in there, but I could also see an argument for not really having good places to put them if they added more.

SO improved. Kudos to the folks at KI! Last Friday it was a mess, and last night it stood its own in KI's house lineup.

• Like 7

I'm waiting on some glowing faces or sudden flashlights under faces, scarier sounds.

Sometimes your imagination can run wild just from scents and sounds alone....see ExtraTerrorestrial Alien Encounter (Disney ride).

For example....how about a dark room with a nasty smell and the sound of crypt doors opening and closing all around you...then perhaps the feeling of bricks with bones / skulls sticking out of holes... and maybe old cloth or quilted coffin silk.... simple stuff but gets the point across...

• Like 4

The concept seems intriguing but KI seems to be sacrificing the experience for capacity increases... unlike Dorney Park who acknowledges that an attraction like Blackout has a lower capacity and thus limits the queue line to Fright Lane only to maintain the experience.

See https://www.dorneypark.com/haunt/ride/Blackout/cat/Mazes

Edit: Seems like a catch-22 though. Limiting guests improves the experience but limiting the line to Fright Lane only could cause problems. What happens when no one is buying or using Fright Lane? Does the maze sit empty and the employees waiting?

• Like 4

I'm waiting on some glowing faces or sudden flashlights under faces, scarier sounds.

Sometimes your imagination can run wild just from scents and sounds alone....see ExtraTerrorestrial Alien Encounter (Disney ride).

For example....how about a dark room with a nasty smell and the sound of crypt doors opening and closing all around you...then perhaps the feeling of bricks with bones / skulls sticking out of holes... and maybe old cloth or quilted coffin silk.... simple stuff but gets the point across...

I like the glowing faces idea, but how could that be shockingly revealed?

The actor wearing a dark cloth mask until the surprise?

Or make like that Edward Mordrake and have the glowing face on the back of the head of the scareactor?

• Like 1

There was a (non-haunt) maze where I worked that had motion sensor boxes. I can't remember if it was triggered by a timer for a certain number of passes or distance the person was from wall. It played a short burst of sound as a person walked past. That small effect made so many people scream. The goal wasn't to terrify but to add ambiance. Small things like that can be very effective.

• Like 5

Or make like that Edward Mordrake and have the glowing face on the back of the head of the scareactor?

Basically the flashlight idea, but with blacklights in place of regular flashlights. Universal had a maze a few years back reliant on silicone masks with a luminescent gel "baked" into the masks to have them glow from the inside out. They would sit under blacklights to "charge" before the night began, and the effect would essentially be a quick strobe light on the character, but the UV light would place greater emphasis on the glowing masks to make them appear like ghosts.

• Like 3

Have masks like this:

http://festivalfanatics.com/el-wire-mask/

• Like 2

I went through last Friday, and was able to lead the group I was with- about 6 people. I had a blast. I would imagine that it is significantly more fun being in front than in the middle/rear of the group though.

There was one particular moment that got me better than any Kings Island haunt experience that I can remember. I walked (literally) right into their trap, and it was fantastic. I won't go into detail so that I don't spoil it for others.

There is a lot of potential for this maze, and I am interested to see how it evolves going forward once the logistics of it are worked through.

• Like 6

I will echo what coasterfanatic2012 said. Being in the front significantly improves the experience. My first two times going through it, I was first. It was really fun - and terrifying - attempting to make my way through the maze. There were multiple times where I got cornered into a wall or accidentally walked into the backstage area...whoops! (the scareactors are good at directing you out though). 

One thing that's been bugging me when I'm not in the lead is...YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KEEP YOUR HAND ON THE WALL! Last time I did it, the people in front of me decided to meander their way to the middle of the room. You aren't supposed to do that! 

• Like 4

I went through Blackout last night and was in the front of the group.  I thought the experience was really cool and a big improvement over Club Blood in regards to the scare factor.  For those thinking the maze is complete dark the whole time it is not.  There are flashes of light and things to see and touch!  I would recommend  this haunt and liked their creativity in designing it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, love to hear everyone's thoughts on Blackout. I was lucky enough to be one of the actors within the maze and hearing what people had to say really rings true of what truly happened in the maze. Some groups would follow the wall, some would just wander the room and get lost, some would get terrified and others would barely blink at the scares. I'd love to hear more of what you all had to think about the maze!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, love to hear everyone's thoughts on Blackout. I was lucky enough to be one of the actors within the maze and hearing what people had to say really rings true of what truly happened in the maze. Some groups would follow the wall, some would just wander the room and get lost, some would get terrified and others would barely blink at the scares. I'd love to hear more of what you all had to think about the maze!

Hey...I was in there too.  I haven't been on KIC in such a long time due to being a Full Time college student and currently going through a divorce fighting for custody for my son.  I had the best experience at KI EVER inside Blackout and everyone is right.  The first weekend...was just blah trying to keep the guest moving as we were instructed to just "be a wall".  BUT...it improved vastly each week and I never had so much fun in my all my life as I did spooking guest in my "scare zone".  Thank you KI for giving me the opportunity to have been part of the new and innovative attraction for KI HAUNT!  It was the best job ever!

• Like 2

"...we were instructed to just 'be a wall.'"

Sounds like really bad IMPROV Theater! B)

Separately, welcome back. And I hope your custody battle ends with the best possible outcome. So emotional, so straining. I feel for you. And full-time in college, too. Wow.

With all sincerity Mr Terp, thank you.  I am taking the State of Ohio Board Exam for Real Estate in two weeks and I am back Full Time starting Tuesday for Spring Semester to become an ASL In"Terp"reter.  (see what I did there?)  Learning funny from the best Mr Terp.  I'm already looking to schedule myself for a few trips to Dollywood with Coaster Crew in March and April to give myself a much needed Mini-Vacation and then KI in May.   My soon to be ex wife had a lot to do with me also having to leave early this Season from KI.  But that for another time.  Staying positive. 

• Like 1