Alcohol stands reduced for Haunt

MagnumFan

First thing I noticed this past Friday at Haunt was that the number of alcohol stands has been drastically reduced for Haunt.  This was one of the things I always liked better about KI vs. CP for Haunt.

The only stands I was able to locate were near the Crypt (Bloodweiser draft), the small stand next to the cafe across from Vortex, of course the bar by Viking Fury, and the sports bar by Diamondback.

The stand at Larosas by The Beast was not open, nor was Festhaus, nor any of the smaller carts with Bud/BL/Mikes Hard, etc. 

I'm figuring this was intentional on the part of KI.  Has anyone else heard anything about this via a statement or change in policy?

• Like 6

By spreading these stands out more one must walk further to get a drink and presumably wait longs in line due to less stands being open. This makes binge drinking more difficult, especially if they limit how many you can buy at a time. Though I am a drinker I see these changes as positive and probably intentional given the crowd and nature of the event.

• Like 9

It seemed intentional.  Even Friday was crowded, and I've been to a lot of Friday night Haunts. 

I know in years past there have been multiple occurances of the park ceasing alcohol sales earlier than normal.  Normally they quit at midnight, but when crowds get rowdy I've seen them stop all sales as early as 10:45.

• Like 5

So, is slow food service intended to help the dieting by reducing their access to food? B)

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

All it reduces for them in my case is per caps.  If Im going to spend 20 to 30 minutes getting something to eat as it is, Im certainly not going to do it for park food, Im going someplace good like the  Ruby Tuesday up the street.  I will also get that same better food for the same or less money.  Slow ride ops, while incredibly irritating, are one thing because I truly am a captive audience in the case of the rides.  Slow food service??  Not happenin.

• Like 4

...and that's why they sell meal plans. They get your money, you are a captive customer...they hope.

"Hope" being the key word.

As long as I use the dining plan enough times for it to pay for itself (which I easily do and then some), I will gladly take my business elsewhere if lines are that long. And if I leave the park to eat, that means they do not get money for the $4 soft drink I would otherwise buy with my meal, and they might even possibly lose a full-price meal from me (at least once this season, I have purchased an entree at Reds Grille not offered on the dining plan).

Just because I've paid in advance doesn't mean that they don't need to keep me happy, because there is more money to be made from me, and I can and will take that money elsewhere if food service in the park is unacceptable.

• Like 10

...and that's why they sell meal plans. They get your money, you are a captive customer...they hope.

"Hope" being the key word.

As long as I use the dining plan enough times for it to pay for itself (which I easily do and then some), I will gladly take my business elsewhere if lines are that long. And if I leave the park to eat, that means they do not get money for the $4 soft drink I would otherwise buy with my meal, and they might even possibly lose a full-price meal from me (at least once this season, I have purchased an entree at Reds Grille not offered on the dining plan).

Just because I've paid in advance doesn't mean that they don't need to keep me happy, because there is more money to be made from me, and I can and will take that money elsewhere if food service in the park is unacceptable.

Jcoble3 hit this right on the head, I myself a season dining plan holder will not be renewing my plan for 2016. The issues with concessions have obviously, fallen on deaf ears. I am unwilling to waste my time, energy, and money with this plan.
  • Like 4

I don't know if policy has changed as I didn't pay attention leaving the park last Friday. In years past though there was no re-entry after 7P.M. during Halloween Haunt. So in that sense you are a captive customer. I used my meal plan when I first arrived and had no issues with lines. However I did notice long lines while at the park though throughout the night.

• Like 2

I don't know if policy has changed as I didn't pay attention leaving the park last Friday. In years past though there was no re-entry after 7P.M. during Halloween Haunt. So in that sense you are a captive customer. I used my meal plan when I first arrived and had no issues with lines. However I did notice long lines while at the park though throughout the night.

On Friday nights, I typically eat a meal nearby before heading to the park. Then the level of food service will determine whether I get the next meal inside the park or after closing at the McDonald's up the road. On a Saturday, I could, if timed correctly, leave in the late afternoon or early evening, eat outside the park, and return before the re-entry cutoff. Then my next meal would follow the same procedure as on Friday nights. And on either night, if sufficiently hungry and ****ed off, I can simply leave, forfeit the rest of the night, eat somewhere, and head home. I can use my season pass to return for another night (or not, depending on how ****ed off I was).

In short, no, I am not a captive audience during Haunt. I can and will change my plans and/or leave the park early if the park does not give me good reason to stay and spend my money there.

• Like 4

On Friday nights, I typically eat a meal nearby before heading to the park. Then the level of food service will determine whether I get the next meal inside the park or after closing at the McDonald's up the road. On a Saturday, I could, if timed correctly, leave in the late afternoon or early evening, eat outside the park, and return before the re-entry cutoff. Then my next meal would follow the same procedure as on Friday nights. And on either night, if sufficiently hungry and ****ed off, I can simply leave, forfeit the rest of the night, eat somewhere, and head home. I can use my season pass to return for another night (or not, depending on how ****ed off I was).

In short, no, I am not a captive audience during Haunt. I can and will change my plans and/or leave the park early if the park does not give me good reason to stay and spend my money there.

I've done the same. Typically on Friday night I will eat before I go. I didn't this time and went ahead and ate as soon as I got to the park. Saturday's I have my daughter, and she's not ready for Haunt so we leave when the park is changing over. I've had good experiences with the meal plan this year. Except for the pizza.

• Like 3

Considering the only real trouble I've seen so far this Haunt was a woman who was drunk and belligerent, it is a possibility.

Which sucks a little for those of us who just get a little happier and friendlier when we drink. Some people seem to drink for the "excuse" to act like jerks, though. If drinking makes you into an entitled jerk... maybe don't drink.

• Like 9

Considering the only real trouble I've seen so far this Haunt was a woman who was drunk and belligerent, it is a possibility.

Which sucks a little for those of us who just get a little happier and friendlier when we drink. Some people seem to drink for the "excuse" to act like jerks, though. If drinking makes you into an entitled jerk... maybe don't drink.

I agree completely and I enjoy a nice buzz while going through haunts (if I have a ride home). Sadly being 21 or older does not make you act like an adult even if legally you are one. Irresponsible jerks will always ruin the good time for well intentioned folk just seekng a good time at events and places like these, in my experience at least.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I noticed this past Friday at Haunt was that the number of alcohol stands has been drastically reduced for Haunt.  This was one of the things I always liked better about KI vs. CP for Haunt.

The only stands I was able to locate were near the Crypt (Bloodweiser draft), the small stand next to the cafe across from Vortex, of course the bar by Viking Fury, and the sports bar by Diamondback.

The stand at Larosas by The Beast was not open, nor was Festhaus, nor any of the smaller carts with Bud/BL/Mikes Hard, etc. 

I'm figuring this was intentional on the part of KI.  Has anyone else heard anything about this via a statement or change in policy?

Some food places and some rides are closed on Haunt Friday's. Cedar Point is the same way.

• Like 2