Dark Ride at Kings Island

Beasttamer

I think it would be nice to have something in that building, but in a fantasy world I'd rather have it leveled and they start over. That building is absolutely hideous and kills any charm the park's trying to give off. The Disaster Transport building at CP was a kindred spirit.

• Like 7

I'd enjoy a dark-ride be well done in the current building we have a dark-ride.. Not necessarily a shoot em up ride, but it'd probably be just that.

I think if the ole' Tomb Raider building isn't ever leveled, which would be nice for expansion, it'd make a suitable building for a far more complex dark ride than you usually see.. something that utilizes most of the building's space.

• Like 5

I'd like a good classic family dark ride in the current dark ride's building. Kind of hoping with the new Peanuts movie coming out it will raise popularity and they will eventually just switch it into a Peanuts ride. with the look of the characters and things I think you could do a Peanuts dark ride cheap and have it still look good too. Don't care if it's a shooter or not but would prefer at least one dark ride in the park that isn't.

Would like to see a new one though go into the Action Theatre building. I think it would be better for it as there is a larger base floor space whereas the Crypt building would need multiple levels. Ideally would love something like Curse of DarKastle but would settle for something like Voyage to the Iron Reef even. 

Then in the Crypt's building put in a new flat ride or roller coaster (Eurofighter most like to do tight turns and sudden drops, something like Mystery Mine at Dollywood) themed to a mine/mine shaft. IF it was a coaster it could even duck in and out of the building some. I do agree with KI Guy that the building is a bit of an eye sore but if the ride was themed to mine or something the entrance already has a bit of a mine look and the building proper could be painted or fitted to look like a wooden mining building or something.

• Like 3

A ride like Hershey Park's Laff Trakk would be a great use of that building space and height. Four people can ride together - whether all together or two sets of two. It's a fun ride that has the surprise turns and drops like a Wild Mouse but include a dark building with glow in the dark artwork. It says it spins but it wasn't wild or spun enough to cause me to get sick. It has enough elements for it to be a family ride but not too "little" that adults won't want to ride it. 42"-48" can ride with a responsible adult. My niece and nephews would have loved that ride. 

Take that idea and theme it around Peanuts...you have a great experience that can connect different generations. 

• Like 5

I would love to see a Mack Wild Mouse coaster in the old Crypt building. If they utilities the theming already there and maybe give it a little more theming as a mine. it would fit soundly into the Rivertown area, and also cater to both adults and family. I think boo blaster would be better suited for a video game type dark ride.

• Like 10

That pic looks like it'd be an awesome ride in there Thrill_Biscuit. Is that supposed to be something like Soarin' at Disney? that could be a perfect attraction in there. Be a more unique flat ride and could theme it to whatever they want, update it over years or do a special Halloween one for Haunt. Plus something like that would hold a decent capacity.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like a good classic family dark ride in the current dark ride's building. Kind of hoping with the new Peanuts movie coming out it will raise popularity and they will eventually just switch it into a Peanuts ride. with the look of the characters and things I think you could do a Peanuts dark ride cheap and have it still look good too. Don't care if it's a shooter or not but would prefer at least one dark ride in the park that isn't.

Would like to see a new one though go into the Action Theatre building. I think it would be better for it as there is a larger base floor space whereas the Crypt building would need multiple levels. Ideally would love something like Curse of DarKastle but would settle for something like Voyage to the Iron Reef even. 

Then in the Crypt's building put in a new flat ride or roller coaster (Eurofighter most like to do tight turns and sudden drops, something like Mystery Mine at Dollywood) themed to a mine/mine shaft. IF it was a coaster it could even duck in and out of the building some. I do agree with KI Guy that the building is a bit of an eye sore but if the ride was themed to mine or something the entrance already has a bit of a mine look and the building proper could be painted or fitted to look like a wooden mining building or something.

You have a good point about the Crypt building needing multiple levels but check this video out 

if they did something like that (not scooby doo of course) they could use that building without leveling it
  • Like 4

Would like to see a new one though go into the Action Theatre building. I think it would be better for it as there is a larger base floor space whereas the Crypt building would need multiple levels. Ideally would love something like Curse of DarKastle but would settle for something like Voyage to the Iron Reef even.

Then in the Crypt's building put in a new flat ride or roller coaster (Eurofighter most like to do tight turns and sudden drops, something like Mystery Mine at Dollywood) themed to a mine/mine shaft. IF it was a coaster it could even duck in and out of the building some. I do agree with KI Guy that the building is a bit of an eye sore but if the ride was themed to mine or something the entrance already has a bit of a mine look and the building proper could be painted or fitted to look like a wooden mining building or something.

You have a good point about the Crypt building needing multiple levels but check this video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLtwrUL7PI if they did something like that (not scooby doo of course) they could use that building without leveling it
what about a wild mouse, dark ride in one lol
  • Like 5

Maybe they could build something similar to Verbolten from Busch Gardens Williamsburg using most inside and some outside as well. Verbolten has different scenarios with their coaster like Wolves, and the Guardian of the Black Forest etc. Maybe instead KI could use the old goddess that was inside the Tomb Raider/Crypt and use that as a scenario instead! That'd be so cool!

• Like 4

If they were too, they would have to make some modifications to it, heres an idea for a scenario, fire and the old Goddess, (says something here) then simulator to tomb raider you fall in a free fall drop and launch, ideas are floating in...

Perusing through Dark ride catalogues in reference to another post, I'm missing the three dimensional artwork of the dark rides from when I grew up.

I found myself on the Sally Corp. page, where they still manufacture dark ride figures. They have a neat look, but what about the upkeep?

I don't know if Sally did the Phantom Theatre models, but I recognized the running Shaggy from KI.

And let's face it, it was a relatively short time for Shaggy to go... well really shaggy.

I know it's cheaper to have virtual reality haunted houses now, but if there were to be a dark ride, it would be nice to have some figures to add depth to the dark ride, if the upkeep and repair of the figures were possible.

• Like 4

It seemed like KI managed to perform upkeep on figures early on with Enchanted Voyage and Smurf's Enchanted Voyage.  Then came Phantom Theater and everything went to crap.  Not sure what the different was here.  Perhaps the animatronics were a little more involved or something or maybe they just stopped caring and knew they were going to rip it out in the near future.  Whatever the case, it would be nice for them to invest in a nice dark ride and also set some money aside for maintenance of that ride.  I, too, am getting tired of the cardboard cutouts and I really don't want a dark ride that consists of nothing but screens.  To me that kind of thing is not unique and falls flat and lifeless. 

• Like 3

If a dark ride does come (fingers are crossed) I would not want it to be a bunch of screens. To me, that just isn't a dark ride. It's like a movie that you are inside of. To me, a dark ride has to be with physical props. A Wild Mouse coaster in the Crypt building actually sounds like a good idea! Maybe, with the Rivertown theme, it could be themed to a haunted mine, perhaps? Or it could be a return of Phantom Theater with the characters interacting with the track (Example: Maestro could curse your car before going down a hill or backwards). 

• Like 5

If a dark ride does come (fingers are crossed) I would not want it to be a bunch of screens. To me, that just isn't a dark ride. It's like a movie that you are inside of. To me, a dark ride has to be with physical props. A Wild Mouse coaster in the Crypt building actually sounds like a good idea! Maybe, with the Rivertown theme, it could be themed to a haunted mine, perhaps? Or it could be a return of Phantom Theater with the characters interacting with the track (Example: Maestro could curse your car before going down a hill or backwards). 

A mine ride would fit perfectly in RIvertown, I would definitely ride it. I wish that Kings Island would get something like Cedar Point does, for example

I rode this in 2009 I believe, it would be awesome if Kings Island got a dark ride with a similar theme.

• Like 5

Unfortunately that no longer is an attraction at Cedar Point. It was removed to make room for the grand experience that is: Dinosaurs Alive!

Nothing like replacing a fairly unique, classic ride with a bunch of plastic dinosaurs that move*.

* - Unless they're broken

• Like 8

Wow, I never knew Cedar Point had a ride like this!  I've been there several times over the years and some how missed it every time.  This ride is very similar to Jungle Cruise and I was surprised to see how unique it was for a regional park.  Why in the world would they get rid of something like that?  I guess the same reason KI gutted all the theming on the train ride.  It would be nice to see something like this put back in the parks.  I hate to see that we're losing original attractions for the sake of cookie-cutter ones.  It's a shame really.

• Like 8