Dark Ride at Kings Island

Beasttamer

Paddlewheel Excursions was one of my absolute favorites. I was so sad that it disappeared when we made our 2013 trip to Cedar Point (my husband's first trip). I love those sorts of calm rides that you can do between waiting in long lines and riding coasters.

I wish they'd have USED the boat ride as part of Dinosaurs Alive if they just HAD to have it. A walking attraction can be done anywhere and there's plenty of similar dino attractions throughout the eastern US (maybe not animatronic, but from what I've heard most of these dinos are no longer moving either). A boat ride where you can see dinosaurs on the side of the water is pretty unique.

Instead they decided to waste some pretty good real estate so that people can walk some more (as if you're not doing that enough in the park), climb on/trash expensive equipment, etc. *sigh*

At least they still have the train, and the skeletons. I love the skeletons. :P

• Like 6

If a dark ride does come (fingers are crossed) I would not want it to be a bunch of screens. To me, that just isn't a dark ride. It's like a movie that you are inside of. To me, a dark ride has to be with physical props. A Wild Mouse coaster in the Crypt building actually sounds like a good idea! Maybe, with the Rivertown theme, it could be themed to a haunted mine, perhaps? Or it could be a return of Phantom Theater with the characters interacting with the track (Example: Maestro could curse your car before going down a hill or backwards).

In looking at the old online catalogues of dark ride gags, i was surprised how much I remembered from Lesourdsville's dark rides. There's something about three dimensional figures that leaves a more lasting impression.

I can recall a figure on a ride from when i was eight years old, but i honestly can't place too many gags and props from Boo Blasters.

• Like 5

I really hate to see empty buildings around Kings Island during the regular season, so I'd love to see something go into the old Crypt building. Personally, I liked the idea of an old mine coaster-- but I also agree with not wanting it to be total 3D technology and screens like many other parks have. To me, that's missing an extra spark that makes a dark ride special. 

But before another dark ride is brought in, I REALLY think that something needs to be done with Boo Blasters. I feel like Kings Island has focused on bringing new attractions to the park instead of just doing upkeep on their already existing rides. While I'm not a Peanuts fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Boo Blasters get updated to a Halloween themed dark ride. With the simplicity of the Peanuts cartoons, I think that it wouldn't be too hard to upkeep. 

• Like 4

What I think will happen to Boo Blasters is the same thing that happened to Phantom Theater back in 2002. Next season it will most likely run till half-season, and then close to begin the transformation process. I rode Phantom Theater right before they closed it down and it was clear that something needed to be done. Boo Blasters is still way less functional then Phantom ever was, even at the end of its life, Phantom was still fun. Hopefully Kings Island has a bright future with dark rides. And hopefully with the popularity of the Peanuts movie, we will get a Peanuts themed dark ride.

• Like 7

It amazes me how many things in Boo Blasters rarely work.  I can't remember the last time I had a gun that worked properly.  And what about the tourist being chased?  How many times have you actually seen him working?  Not to mention the Boocifer projection on the fog screen that worked for all of a few months.  There are even targets on that ride that I've NEVER been able to activate.  What's up with that?  The ride is a mess.  It was a cheap re-theme from the very beginning and has remained a half-working, generic attraction ever since.  If this ride follows the same 10 year rule as the other rides in that building, we've still got to deal with that thing for a few more years, which is unfortunate.  Hopefully they'll put Boo Blasters out of it's misery sooner than that.  We can only pray.

• Like 5

Yes, the music does loop throughout the entire ride. And yes it is frustrating for those of us who remember past rides such as Phantom Theater. And Phantom had a great original score which was made to play different parts in different parts of the ride, such as beginning, rehersal rooms, theater, and the prop room. Even Scooby-Doo had great music from the show and actually generally the guns on it worked. I actually rode it in 2003 when it was brand new and was very impressed with its simplicity and fun overall family ride. But now I just wish that Phantom Theater would make another apperance. Like Ive said before I rode Phantom Theater in its final season in 2002, and it was clear that it was old and broken, but still I enjoyed every bit of it. But now with Boo Blasters I just wish they would add something new and put it out of its misery. But I also would be thankful for a Peanuts themed dark ride. That would actually fit in with the area, as Phantom Theater was never right in its place near Hanna-Barbera Land. As kids were very afraid of it and especially of Maestro in the balcony when you walk in. Cheers, MaestroJr

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

BUMP

With the addition of Mystic Timbers and the mysterious shed at the end of the ride do you think we'll still get a Triotech dark ride? If we do I really want it to be right next to Adventure Express between Flight of Fear and Racer. 

dark.png

However with the way Cedar Fair has adding dark rides in preexisting buildings I would not put it past them if they did something in the old Crypt building. 

I don't want another big ugly building to look at. If a Triotech comes, I only want it to go in the Rivertown box. Sure, a new building would be fine if it would be hidden with theming or, as your drawing shows, trees. However, this is Cedar Fair and we all know they would never do that.

Plus, a dark ride there would remove the only viable location for X-Base expansion.

• Like 1