Hulk trains in trash

MUST...RESIST...PUN...(FAILS)...

Hulk Smash? More like Hulk in Trash! :P

D'oh I failed... ;)

In all seriousness though, I am wondering what the heck is going to happen to Hulk- it'll have new trains and obviously new track as well next year, and could possibly even seem like a brand-new ride if enough is changed. I'd also bet money there will be a re-theme of some kind too.

• Like 7

Like I've said before, steel coasters can be retracked.

...at very high expense which most regional, seasonal parks and chains cannot afford or justify from a business perspective.

Universal can do it because they are a major year-round tourist destination with way, way higher revenue than a Kings Island or other similarly-situated park. They spent a quarter of a billion dollars on the Harry Potter expansion that opened last year. Kings Island's largest investment to date into building a single attraction is less than 10% of that. That oughta give you a bit of a clue as to their relative budgets and spending capability.

• Like 8

jcgoble3, on 04 Oct 2015 - 8:26 PM, said:

Tr0y, on 04 Oct 2015 - 8:20 PM, said:

Like I've said before, steel coasters can be retracked.

...at very high expense which most regional, seasonal parks and chains cannot afford or justify from a business perspective. Universal can do it because they are a major year-round tourist destination with way, way higher revenue than a Kings Island or other similarly-situated park. They spent a quarter of a billion dollars on the Harry Potter expansion that opened last year. Kings Island's largest investment to date into building a single attraction is less than 10% of that. That oughta give you a bit of a clue as to their relative budgets and spending capability.
Tell that to this guy. image.jpeg
  • Like 10

I feel like there's something to be said for remodeling your 9 year-old Arrow looper into something more comfortable versus replacing the track on your B&M looper that has operated almost every day for 16 years. If you consider that in terms of seasonal park seasons (in which the coasters spend half the calendar year not operating), that's the equivalent of over 30 seasons of service...

The cost for the Arrow remodel was, I imagine, comparable to the cost of a new ride, but there was something marketable as a new ride when it was done. The existing ride was apparently not providing the experience that Kennywood wanted. Parks in the position that Universal is with Hulk--a situation where the ride has apparently reached the end of its service life--would almost never consider paying for what I, admittedly, am assuming will be exactly the same ride all over again. In fact, it hasn't been heard of outside Disney (that I know of.) One is an attempt to improve ROI; the other is the rarely-chosen second option that parks have when their rides reach the end of their service lives. I do not expect that, unless Universal is going to change the layout and/or theming, the park will be touting this as a new ride.

It's been said before, but I do wonder what the future holds for Dragon Challenge/Dueling Dragons. They're the same age as Hulk.

• Like 7

The question everyone is dying to get answered...

Does this count as a new credit?

Wouldn't matter to me, I've never been to Universal.

Well, it is listed as a past coaster on RCDB, so...

In all seriousness, I don't know the answer to that question, and I don't think we will until whatever rehab on the ride formally known as Hulk is completed.

• Like 2

I feel like there's something to be said for remodeling your 9 year-old Arrow looper into something more comfortable versus replacing the track on your B&M looper that has operated almost every day for 16 years. If you consider that in terms of seasonal park seasons (in which the coasters spend half the calendar year not operating), that's the equivalent of over 30 seasons of service...

The cost for the Arrow remodel was, I imagine, comparable to the cost of a new ride, but there was something marketable as a new ride when it was done. The existing ride was apparently not providing the experience that Kennywood wanted. Parks in the position that Universal is with Hulk--a situation where the ride has apparently reached the end of its service life--would almost never consider paying for what I, admittedly, am assuming will be exactly the same ride all over again. In fact, it hasn't been heard of outside Disney (that I know of.) One is an attempt to improve ROI; the other is the rarely-chosen second option that parks have when their rides reach the end of their service lives. I do not expect that, unless Universal is going to change the layout and/or theming, the park will be touting this as a new ride.

It's been said before, but I do wonder what the future holds for Dragon Challenge/Dueling Dragons. They're the same age as Hulk.

I'd say since Kumba is older than Hulk or Dragons, (and operates year round as well) there is a lot more to this than age or service life. 

• Like 8

The entire second half could be redesigned and I don't think a single person would shed a tear. For those who haven't had the pleasure, that iconic, photogenic, and stellar opening act leads to a course that's about as meandering and pointless as Rougarou's with the transitions of Anaconda. For a park with two major "thrill" coasters, Hulk should be an undisputed champ of coasters from start to finish. As it was, that was not the case.

Given that the project is this in-depth, I believe Universal will have the second half of the ride redesigned. At this point, you're well on your way to a blank slate. It would be downright silly to rebuild the uncomfortable ride that was.

• Like 7

The best part of the launch was the zero g roll at the top, but the launch as a stand alone was nothing spectacular.  The pacing at the beginning of the ride is fabulous but the second half like the launch was nothing spectacular.

Also I wonder if the constant misting on certain stretches of track led to a need for replacement and rather than just replace specific sections of track they have decided for a huge overhaul?  Wonder if they will finally incorporate the originally planned glowing paint

• Like 2