Hulk trains in trash

All I know is that Hulk – at least in its previous form – was rough. And not just from worn-out tires. It was very like an Arrow multi-looper where you could physically see awkward transitions in the track ahead of you. You could look ahead and see where the track would bend unnaturally. I'm not at all sure why that's the case with Hulk. My hope is that those strange moments are smoothed out in the new coaster, but my gut tells me that they literally just recreated the pieces they had before. 

Because it's so rough, the OTSR were too much. A vest would be fine. Ideally, just a lap bar. Hoping we'll find out soon.

• Like 1

I hope not. I hate the new B&M restraints the vests are so constrictive. I'll take the old ones over the vests any day. Plus I've learned that when it comes to restraints Universals philosophy is the simpler the better so I'm hoping for the old style.

You are the only person I've heard that doesn't like the new restraints. I think they are quite comfortable.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 3

All I know is that Hulk – at least in its previous form – was rough. And not just from worn-out tires. It was very like an Arrow multi-looper where you could physically see awkward transitions in the track ahead of you. You could look ahead and see where the track would bend unnaturally. I'm not at all sure why that's the case with Hulk. My hope is that those strange moments are smoothed out in the new coaster, but my gut tells me that they literally just recreated the pieces they had before. 

Because it's so rough, the OTSR were too much. A vest would be fine. Ideally, just a lap bar. Hoping we'll find out soon.

I can confirm that this version of Hulk is not an exact recreation of the 1999 version. Their have been a few design changes. Now how much these new changes will smooth out some of those awkward transitions, if at all, has yet to be seen. And a big reason why it was so rough was because it was old. I know that older B&M coasters exist but their is not a beemer on the planet that hit at minimum 40 cycles an hour every day for almost 16 years. I'd be willing to bet that Hulk had more total cycles than any B&M anywhere. 

And yeah I've just never been a fan of the new restraints. They make me feel claustrophobic. So I'll be hoping for the old restraints... Or even better yet maybe hyper restraints. But like I said I really, REALLY doubt it. 

• Like 1

It wasn't any smoother when it was new.

It didn't ride the way it did "because it was old."

I'd have to disagree with you. Sure Hulk has always had a couple awkward transitions that led to head banging but I remember the ride developing much worse head banging and heavy vibrations as it got older... But then again when it comes to anything Universal, if you can't already tell, I tend to see things through rose colored glasses. So my view might be a little biased. 

• Like 1

I posit that the biggest thing that changed your perception during that timeframe is you aged nearly 10 years. In 1999, I was already 43 when I rode it. From 43 to 60 is a lot less different than from, say, 15 to 24...by middle age, one already "appreciates" roughness far more than when one was younger.

Again, I don't think Hulk changed much. Your tolerance for roughness did.

• Like 3

The general public appreciates smooth rides, hence why Universal is re-tracking.  When a ride is run 365 days a year for 15 years, yeah, it's gonna get rough. Your opinion may be that you like rides rough, but I can tell you that the general public does not.

Then why aren't we seeing a major refurbishment with Dragon Challenge, which also opened in 1999 at Universal?
  • Like 2

The general public appreciates smooth rides, hence why Universal is re-tracking.  When a ride is run 365 days a year for 15 years, yeah, it's gonna get rough. Your opinion may be that you like rides rough, but I can tell you that the general public does not.

Then why aren't we seeing a major refurbishment with Dragon Challenge, which also opened in 1999 at Universal?
And I can add to that list at neighboring parks with B&M's such as Buesh Gardens Tampa. Kemba 1993 and Montu 1996 both of which are older haven't seen a major refurbishment such as the Incredible Hulk.
  • Like 3

1st Universal/ Comcast has never ending pockets and can afford a refurbishment of this size and Busch really can't. 2nd just because a ride is newer doesn't mean they've aged the same. Think of it like a car. An older car with fewer miles usually runs better than a newer car with a lot more miles. IOA sees at least twice as many people a year as Busch Tampa and so Hulk has had to run a whole lot more than Kumba or Montu has ever had to. 

And yes your age probably effects your sensitivity to rough rides. However most everyone I've talked to seemed to agree with me that Hulk has gotten rougher over the years. Just as every coaster does. Regardless it doesn't matter anymore because that Hulk is gone and we have a new one on the way so let's hope it's much more comfortable. 

• Like 3

Maybe they don't see much value in the ride and they will be getting rid of it soon? 

Also, Busch has much smaller pockets than Comcast.... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a video from YouTube of the new queue line of the new Incredible Hulk Coaster:

At the end of the video it seems as if the new Incredible Hulk Coaster is using the old wheel driven launch system from the previous coaster. The themeing looks incredible! ( no pun intended )
  • Like 1