Universal Orlando announces replacement for Twister

Sounds interesting! The Studios park needed something like this because each and every year, the "studios" part of it is fading away. 

Dang...Universal is getting the Volcano Bay water park, Reign of Kong ride, Fast and Furious ride, and now a Jimmy Fallon ride. They're crazy!

• Like 4

I think it would be difficult to find anyone who listed Twister: Ride It Out among their top reasons for planning a trip to Universal Orlando.

Maybe people won't for Race Through New York either (and I can think of a half dozen better names off the top of my head), but at least it's current.

NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast.

• Like 2

Universal's ticket prices are insane... I could justify a Disney season pass much more than a Universal season pass.... I loved Universal over Disney for a while now i'm starting to feel the opposite... 

We had to fight with Customer Service for an hour maybe more because we lost are season passes (I mean are pieces of paper....)

I don't hate twister and actually sort of like it. But when we went a few years back, counting my wife and I there were 5 people who experienced the ride. Mind you that day there was walk on lines for Mummy but hour waits for Men In Black and Simpsons and over an hour for Rip Rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Universal's ticket prices are insane... I could justify a Disney season pass much more than a Universal season pass.... I loved Universal over Disney for a while now i'm starting to feel the opposite... 

To be fair, Universal's prices have risen STEEPLY over the last few years, but if you consider where they started, what you're getting for (and what they're doing with) the money, and how they compare to Disney's, maybe it's justified. Even ignoring all of that: 

Park Tickets

Universal 3-Day Park-to-Park ticket: $204.99 ($69 per day)

Walt Disney World 3-Day Park Hopper ticket: $325 ($108 per day)

Annual Passes

Universal Medium-Tier No-Blockout Pass: $334.99 (nearly equal to that Walt Disney World 3-Day ticket, btw)

Disney World Medium-Tier No-Blockout Pass: $749.00

After Disney's latest meteoric rise in ticket pricing, hordes of Disney fans are currently proclaiming that they'll never give Disney another dollar, but will instead switch to Universal Annual Passes. You – as a Universal Annual Passholder – say the opposite.

Put another way: 

The grass is always greener.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

• Like 8

Just now heard about this addition and I'm actually really excited to see what Universal does with it. As a big Jimmy Fallon fan, I'll be highly anticipating this new ride. Sounds like Universal is planning on adding some other solid new attractions too. Definitely beats Disney in terms of thrilling, unique rides.

• Like 1

Unique?  Not so sure I would call their attractions outside of Potter World Unique.  The majority of their new attractions are simulators or simulator based.  Yes sorry the Adventures of Spiderman was unique and awesome, but everything since that uses that technology is just average for me.  Then again I am a fan of immersive attractions that don't rely on screens for effects.  The Mummy, MiB, Jaws and Jurassic Park (I even loved the original Kong) are some of my favorite Universal Attractions.  Why?  Because they use or used real effects not a projector and 3D glasses to get the job done.  Then again I would argue that the mine scene on 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is better and more immersive than any simulator/movie screen ride Universal has done.  I am not hating on Universal but I feel they have fallen in to a rut with everything they do outside of Potter and IOA.  I also greatly hope that Kong is more JP River Adventure and less of the tram tour version, but I doubt it.

• Like 7

I am really trying to be open minded because I really loved my last trip to Universal and Disney... But with that being said... I really don't get this ride idea.

With Spidey and Harry Potter there was a world to go to, this seems... Odd? Maybe when more info comes out it will make more sense but I'm just not sure I get the idea of a ride like HP but with Jimmy Fallon and New York.

As for immersionable experiences and unique rides I feel that each park can be seen as equals. You can look at the Harry Potter ride at Universal or you can look at Haunted Mansion for immersion into a story. You have Toy Story or Men In Black. You have Spider-Man or you have Star Tours... Jurassic Park, Tower of Terror, Mummy, Pirates, Etc

If you look at Thrill Rides you have Hulk, Jurassic Park, the Dragons, or you have the Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Big Thunder Mountain....

The only real difference (from someone who loves and appreciates both parks) is the properties being used. If you Love Jurassic Park or Harry Potter that's going to seem better than Stat Wars or Mickey Mouse.

Both are fairly unique parks.

• Like 3

I am really trying to be open minded because I really loved my last trip to Universal and Disney... But with that being said... I really don't get this ride idea.

With Spidey and Harry Potter there was a world to go to, this seems... Odd? Maybe when more info comes out it will make more sense but I'm just not sure I get the idea of a ride like HP but with Jimmy Fallon and New York.

As for immersionable experiences and unique rides I feel that each park can be seen as equals. You can look at the Harry Potter ride at Universal or you can look at Haunted Mansion for immersion into a story. You have Toy Story or Men In Black. You have Spider-Man or you have Star Tours... Jurassic Park, Tower of Terror, Mummy, Pirates, Etc

If you look at Thrill Rides you have Hulk, Jurassic Park, the Dragons, or you have the Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Big Thunder Mountain....

The only real difference (from someone who loves and appreciates both parks) is the properties being used. If you Love Jurassic Park or Harry Potter that's going to seem better than Stat Wars or Mickey Mouse.

Universal's actually been shying away from the "studio" schmaltziness (which was big in the 1990s) in favor of turning the studio park's areas into immersive, Islands-of-Adventure-style lands (see Springfield, Diagon Alley, etc) so I see this – at least in a small way – in that vein: they'll no doubt completely renovate the exterior of the Twister showbuilding (which currently is flat, tan "soundstage" style) and craft it into an accurate recreation of Fallon's studio with the marquee outside, etc. So at least partially, I think it'll craft the park's New York into a better, more accurate area overall.

It's also very Universal in that it's "new and now." It's a ride that, presumably, will no longer be at Universal Studios in 15 years. As silly as that sounds, Universal Orlando has two (maybe three?) attractions left from opening day (which, while it seems distant, was only in 1990...). They're in a constant race to keep their parks relevant. They don't have the longevity in properties the way that Disney does, but that know that. So they're aggressive about keeping things up-to-date.

Sure, that has its downsides (as beloved attractions disappear frequently - Back to the Future, Jaws, Kong, etc) it does keep the park fresh. If those three rides were still the headliners, I don't think Universal would have the market share that it does. Those classic attractions are missed greatly, but what replaced them is almost certainly better for the business. Fallon probably won't be hosting his show in 15 years, and I expect that this ride will also be done. It is what it is. For now, it's a property people really enjoy. 

• Like 5

I really like what Universal does. So I get what you are saying but why is this ride going to be enjoyable.

Unless you have insider information.... So are we going to be in the audience? Are we going on a walking tour of NY with Jimmy Fallon? I just don't get the idea of this ride right now. If it turns out with a great premise I'll line up and see it but I don't get a story from it right now....

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I only know as much as anyone else. But Universal seems to understand the questions that would arise:

But what kind of story would we tell? How could we create a compelling guest experience that emerged organically from the world of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon? That was the challenge facing the entire Universal Creative team, but considering their track record, I was pretty sure I was surrounded by the people who could crack it.

Jimmy wanted a fun and hilarious adventure that was also a valentine to his hometown of New York City—and that’s exactly what you’re going to experience when “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” opens at Universal Studios Florida in 2017.

So, what’s the attraction going to be like? I can’t tell you everything, but I can tell you our team found inspiration in the outrageous celebrity races that have become one of the most popular segments of Jimmy’s Tonight Show. The source material already features a wild and crazy ride almost every week! And since Universal Studios Florida has long been famous for placing guests in the middle of their favorite movies and TV shows, we thought it was a perfect fit.

Soon, you will get the full Tonight Show experience as you make your way to the fabled Studio 6B for a very special taping in which Jimmy challenges his studio audience to the ultimate race through the greatest city on earth.

You’ll rocket through the streets—and skies—of New York City, from the deepest subway tunnels to the tallest skyscrapers, encountering colorful characters, famous landmarks and anything else that comes to Jimmy’s mind—and “that is some weird, wild stuff,” to quote an iconic previous host.

– Via http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/jimmy-fallon-new-ride/

Remember that the rumors for this attraction started awhile ago, often suggesting that it would be a "spoof" of Disney's Soarin' Over California, utilizing a similar ride system. (Insiders referred to it as "Soarin' Over New York" though I'm sure that was never intended to be the actual name lest Disney get miffed...)

But according to Universal, you'll get the whole set-up in the queue as you tour the studio, then board the ride for a fast-paced, no doubt humorous tour of the city. Maybe compare it to Twister. What was the "story" of Twister? Were we an audience? Were we supposed to feel like we were really there, experiencing a real tornado? Was it a special effects show? That didn't have a very clear premise at all.

So we'll see, but I have confidence that it'll be a nice aside for a day at the park. Maybe what would be a C-ticket or slightly better. Depends on the ride system, the details, the story, etc. 

Now, Fast and the Furious? That, I'm not looking forward to. I suspect it'll be gone in 15 years, too. At least, I hope so.

• Like 3

At least with Twister there was a world we entered into. When Twister came out it was a big time movie. So we entered into a world where experienced the tornado. I remember being younger and the tour guide talked about taking cover, etc. so at least there was a story and that as we were about to experience a tornado. The que line used to say it with interviews and weather warnings.

Fast and the Furious ride reminds me of BttF mixed with the original Days of Thunder ride. Again at least it's a world to be emerged in.

Thanks for the description but I'm still not sold on this ride. But maybe it will be great. I like Jimmy but I never thought man that would be a fun world to be in because it's like I live in that world.

• Like 3

Given the size and height of the Twister show building (the ride uses some massive fan equipment for the funnel), I'd expect them to use the Soarin' system of motion simulator. Hopefully both it and the upcoming Fast and the Furious attractions are decent enough to warrant the removal of their previous counterparts, or Disney may finally be able to win back Orlando once Pandora opens up.

• Like 2

I'm entirely skeptical about Fast and Furious.

For those who haven't been following, in 2008, a fire destroyed a large portion of the famous backlot at Universal Studios Hollywood, including a dark-ride style encounter with a giant animatronic King Kong. Instead of rebuilding the 1980s portion of the attraction, Universal brought Kong back in the brand new King Kong 360-3D, where the tram pulls into a dark tunnel and parks between two massive curved screens. The screens suddenly come to life with wrap-around imagery. Combined with motion simulating technology in the road, wind, water, and 3D, the attraction makes it feel that guests are falling, driving, being attacked, etc. It's really awesome. Like, seriously. Video here.

And next year, Universal Orlando is opening Reign of Kong, a full-sized immersive dark ride that's almost 100% certainly going to include the 90-second Hollywood experience as its centerpiece. So, it'll be a full-length dark ride, but built around the signature moment of entering into a clone of the existing 360 3D tunnel, probably using the same ride footage as Hollywood's Studio Tour Kong.

Now, the process is happening all over again. This summer, Hollywood's park opened another new attraction along the Studio Tour which uses precisely the same concept with the 3D wraparound screen, but this time it's based around The Fast and the Furious (which, by the way, I think is strange... Kong is really cool because of its technology... but to pull out of Kong's showbuilding, turn the corner, and head right into another show building with the same trick up its sleeve? Weird.) Shortly thereafter, Florida did the same as they had with Kong, announcing that they were building a FULL Fast and the Furious attraction which will doubtlessly include the wraparound tunnel 360 projection as its signature moment.

fast-furious-external.jpg

While I get that F&F is Universal's new golden child (on sequel #6 and counting), I don't think it's worth having in the parks. Not when Jaws, Back to the Future, Universal Monsters, Dreamworks, etc. are left out. What's worse, Hollywood's Fast and Furious Studio Tour (video here) has gotten dismal, awful reviews, so to build an entire attraction around it seems... unwise. I don't know. I'm confident that it'll bring people into the parks. But quality over quantity for me, and it doesn't seem like Fast and the Furious is worth immortalizing while so many worthy films are left out. 

And call me crazy, but I liked Disaster. 

I liked Twister, too. But Race Through New York will be an improvement. I don't doubt that.

• Like 3

In terms of being a money-making franchise, the Fast and the Furious line is one of Universal's most lucrative franchises now, with the most recent Furious 7 becoming the fifth highest-grossing film of all time. The unfortunate passing of Paul Walker more than likely aided in further sales, as did Heath Ledger's passing prior to the release of The Dark Knight.

Honestly speaking, though, this particular IP would have probably fared much better as a stunt show to rival Disney's Lights Motors Action! show as a replacement for Waterworld (even though I still, to this day, regard WW as the greatest theme park show I have ever seen) or, to a lesser extent, Terminator 2: 3D, with the melding of live-action and film scenes.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I want Universal to gobble up the licensing rights to the Mad Max franchise and do a Mad Max stunt show. I would witness that so bad...

• Like 5