Coco Key Water Resort closed over fire code violations

It is quite surprising that they had that many violations, among which include fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems not being operational.  

My brother worked at the water park at Coco Key in Sharonville for a while.  From what I understand, the owner was a less than pleasant person to work with.  In fact, after my brother left Coco Key (and not by choice), he was informed by his former co- workers that the owner wanted to go against Department of Agriculture orders to keep a portion of the water park closed (lazy river), until the filtration system was fixed.  And they have had closures before at Coco Key before.  My brother stopped working at Coco Key back in early April.  So this is not news to me.

Certainly seems like they have been having lots of issues.  Given the choice, I would much rather go with a visit to Great Wolf Lodge verses a trip to Coco Key.  There can be too many life safety things that it seems like Coco Key skimping on to save a few bucks.   Everything seems to stem from the owner and his refusal to properly fix items.

Edited by CoastersRZ
Updated based on new links provided by The Interpreter
  • Like 4

I'm not sure why that one WLWT article is dated today. They did post another article (with the exact same date and time stamp) with the correct info... http://www.wlwt.com/news/sharonville-water-park-shuts-down-for-safety-compliance/36381908

I do find it funny that they have to post on their Facebook page that "safety is our number one priority". Really? 100+ fire code violations does not convince me of that.

• Like 4

"Life safety" issues is typically a result of building code or fire protection issues.  If the building was designed to have a certain occupancy and to be sprinklered and it is found that the sprinkler system is not operational, that is a big life safety issue if there were to be a fire.  There is a reason that building plans are reviewed by fire departments.  

The building codes typically adjust after a major disaster, such as the Beverly Hills Super club fire in Kentucky, which ended up changing many of the "life safety" issues in the building code.

This post is not to be taken as architectural advice.  Prior to doing any renovation work to a building, you should consult a design professional (architect) that is registered in the area the project is to be located in.

• Like 8

Speaking of violations and water parks..

http://www.wthr.com/story/30494586/waterpark-owner-camps-out-atop-slide-to-save-park

Telling that the owner's Go Fund Me Campaign has, to date, raised barely 1% of its goal.  As the saying goes, People Gotta Eat, but they're also smart enough not to patronize places where their health and/or safety will be at serious risk.

• Like 3

I did not realize Coco Key was still open.

I much prefer resorts like Great Wolf over these much smaller and somewhat questionable resorts. Anyone ever been to Fort Rapids in Columbus? Never again says this former patron.

That bad?

Yes it was bad, the rooms are in very bad shape in the main tower(original section of the hotel) and the expansion is getting there

Wow!  I have been past it several times.  Thought it looked fun, but have never had the time to visit it.  Good to know.

The waterpark has great potential but the upkeep is subpar and the cleanliness is very lacking.  The overall resort is on a continual downslope, on TripAdvisor it is barely above a 2 star rating and roaches are becoming more and more of a problem.  I can tell you in our 2 stays a few years ago we saw a drastic decline in the overall resort and had issues with the front desk staff and how they billed a few things.  I always have hope these things improve but periodic review of the reviews continue to emphasize the problems we saw and they seem to be getting worse.  We won't be back.  We now opt for a trip to Great Wolf, video of our last trip here. (This was from our February Trip this year)

Or if you want to head to Pigeon Forge for Winter festivities I highly recomend Wilderness at the Smokies.  Awesome resort and we always stay in the Wyndham Vacation Resort Condos on property every New Years.

• Like 4

We are really not fans of water parks. And this is largely why. As our Terpy often says, " I have no desire to bathe with x number of people, most of whom need one" I substitute x, to compensate for park size. 

That said, Great Wolf is an awesome destination, and seems cleaner than any other I've been to. I will soon smell the chlorinated water of that HUGE space again. And likely spend most of my time in the "adults only" hot tub. The quotation marks are for those that don't read the signs, much like "line jumping is prohibited". 

• Like 6

Went to Coco Key one time, less than six months after the place opened.  Not a real fan of indoor places like that, the chlorine smell just kills me. Nice enough, clean at the time, good deal on a bucket of beer.   Had the place nearly to ourselves. 

Never been to Great Wolf, just seems way, way overpriced for what you get. 

• Like 2

Latest update from their website says they're waiting "for secondary inspection to show compliance" and that "Water Resort should resume operation at 4:00pm on Friday November 20th, 2015". No updates on their Facebook page at all. The only recent posts are from May and seem to have been made by a disgruntled (former?) employee.

• Like 2