What really drives you crazy about waiting in line (it actually isn’t the wait at all)

KIfan73

There are two things that make lines acceptable or tolerable (I will never "enjoy" them) for me, and that is A)Someone that has come with me  that I can carry on an intelligent conversation with or B)Headphones plugged into my phone and my Pandora account.  The former usually works better in amusement park lines, as the person with me keeps me from wanting to break my foot off in the a** of basketball bouncers or line jumpers.  Now, in the "parallel vs. serpentine" debate, the parallel system makes the wait "seem" shorter even if its the same.  Id actually like to see a park attempt to have a queue for each row of seats on a roller coaster, with a separator at the end to distribute people away from the rows that are full at the time (usually front and back row).

• Like 6

Line jumpers (and nothing done about it) are number one. I realize some of the ques lend themselves to this (Backlot, Vortex, and Shake Rattle and Roll), and nothing is done. I have let these go only to politely say "Thank You" and just gotten in front of them when we reached the line. I think they knew and said nothing back.

Another thing is seeing lots of empty seats and then realizing that there is no technical issues but ride ops either not assigning seats, paying attention, or just not there (see Banshee end of season). I have no issue with folks wanting a particular seat, but no need to hold up everyone else.

Ok. Enough for now. Minor rant done. Now for happy thoughts about the park.

• Like 5

The main thing I took from that article was the different perceptions of those that wait in line (or queue).  So much more attention to detail used to go into queues, and I can't help but think that has played a part in the enduring popularity of some attractions (and vice versa).

• Like 4

I rather liked the DJ's Cedar Point utilized back in the late 90's.  They were engaging with guests and made for a positive line experience if ever there was one.  

On that note, there was a DJ sitting in a booth playing music while I waited over an hour to ride Millennium Force back in 2011. That experience made the wait more enjoyable.

Now with the Fun TVs, it's most likely going to be the only time I've experienced something like this...

As for waiting in line, I have often found it to not be as grueling if I have something to keep me occupied (which for me would mostly be taking pictures, enjoying a small conversation, or surfing the Web if the place has WiFi).

• Like 3

Normally when I'm at a park, I'm with my husband. 80 percent of the time, we run out of things to talk about after a couple minutes and just stand there mostly silent. I always thought it would be fun to go to a park with friends or family but nobody we know likes rides quite as much as we do. So we definitely get bored waiting in lines. I can handle boredom, I daydream a lot. What bothers me about lines is standing still for so long and having my knees and ankles hurt. X_X Walking is no problem, but standing relatively still for an hour or more hurts. I've found the Fast Lane Plus passes to be totally worth the expense.

• Like 6

I try to pick days that a park won't be crowded to avoid lines as much as possible. I generally won't go to a park on a summer weekend, Saturday's during Halloween events, any day a special event is planned like a concert etc. When I have to wait, the one thing that I hate is when a line moves slowly, when you are standing in one spot for a few minutes and don't move at all or just a few steps. On some high capacity rides when the line barely stops moving it is much more tolerable for me.

• Like 7

Honestly, the only two things that bother me about waiting in line are:

1.) When people (namely kids) bump into me repeatedly, and

2.) When I am in line at a Disney park and am in the vicinity of guests complaining about FastPass.

Like, the passing nudge doesn't matter to me, but if it's an hour wait and you and/or your child repeatedly bump into me over and over, I'm strongly considering if the ride is worth it to me. I was somewhere (a Six Flags, I think?) once where a child was definitely leaning on me just about every time we stopped walking. It drove me up the wall. I guess I was raised differently.

With the Disney thing... I could scream. I visited my first official Disney parks last month (Magic Kingdom and Epcot) and endured two hours of waiting in line for Soarin' near two families who were so sure that the reason the line was moving slowly was because the cast members were only letting FastPass+ people on. For all I know about Disney parks, perhaps that was the case (I never heard an announcement about the ride going down?) but just being around that for so long was nearly unbearable. (Worst of all, I endured all that just for Soarin'...) My point: you get access to FastPass+, too! Stop it.

• Like 6

I try not to let little things bother me and some things are out of KI's control, but one thing that could be done by them are the basketballs. They are the worst. Kids (and some rude adults) are more worried about dribbling them like Jordan in a busy walkway or queue than enjoying the park. I didn't come to KI to listen to basketballs bounce, or be in The Beast station and feel it under my feet every 3 seconds because of the wooden floor. I am all for them airing them up so they are not flat, but not enough air for them to bounce. There is a balance there that could be done by the park. If you win one great, but put it in a locker or take it out to your car.

• Like 7

I hate the basketball jumpers, spitters, and adults and children that sprawl out across the queue bar like they're doing gymnastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned an interesting lesson from this myself one time. I was hanging/sitting on a queue bar at an Arby's* and I lost my grip, swung backwards and came super close to smashing my head on the floor (somehow I caught myself with either my hands or legs). Don't do it; it's not worth a busted head!

EDITed for details.

*Or a Wendy's- I can't quite remember...

• Like 2