Rough Winter for Disneyland Ride Lineup

I'm in the midst of planning a January trip to Disneyland. I was all prepped to visit in late January. Late January / early February is about all that's left of the "off season" anymore, so I expected very low crowds. Of course, in exchange, I knew that quite a few attractions would have their annual refurbishments. 

But wait...

This winter, Disney will begin construction on a new Star Wars land being built in the northwest corner of the park, on the northern shores of the Rivers of America. So on January 11, the following attractions will close for at least a year to facilitate that:

• The Rivers of America
  • The Sailing Ship Columbia
  • The Mark Twain Riverboat
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Explorer Canoes
  • Fantasmic!
  • Big Thunder Ranch (closing permanently) 

But that's not all. January 11 will also mark the official end of the Holiday Time promotion, so we'll have a few seasonal closures:

• Haunted Mansion (closing to remove the Nightmare Before Christmas inspired Holiday overlay... Should open by the end of January, but that's not official yet)
  • Jungle Cruise (closing to remove the Jingle Cruise holiday overlay, and supposedly due to remain closed until summer for an extensive refurbishment.)
  • Autopia

Now don't forget, we're talking about January so it's logical for the water rides to have their annual break: ALSO on January 11, Grizzly River Run closes. Splash Mountain won't be far behind.

THAT SAME DAY, JANUARY 11, the magnificent Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular closes forever to be converted into a (you guessed it) Frozen themed stage show due to open this summer despite 19,000 signatures on a petition, a dedicated Twitter account opposing the change, and almost unanimously negative reaction to the replacement on the official, moderated Disney Parks Blog.

Luigi's Flying Tires has been closed all year as it's replaced with a trackless, LPS flat ride that won't be open by my trip.

Oh, and a week earlier, on January 4, Soarin' Over California closes, maybe for the last time before it becomes Soarin' Around The World (which is absolutely illogical in Disney California Adventure where the original, classic, California-themed ride still attracts massive crowds.)

So it's POSSIBLE that Haunted Mansion and "it's a small world" may be open for some or all of my trip depending on how quickly their holiday overlays disappear, but absolutely everything else in bold above will be closed. Can you imagine?

As long as Indiana Jones Adventure is open, I can bare to press forward with the trip if I have to. However, I'm going to do everything I can to change it to any date before... January 11th... *lightning and thunder, horses whinny, maidens shriek* 

• Like 8

The Disneyland Railroad is also closing for up to a year.

http://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/closures

Personally I think a Marvel/Star Wars makeover of Tomorrowland would be better. Tomorrowland has always had problems staying in the future.

It's hard to say.

Fans argued that Disneyland – Walt's original park – shouldn't have a whole land themed to a single IP a la The Wizarding World or Cars Land. But it would especially be a slap in the face to have a single intellectual property take over one of the original lands that date back to Walt's time and his dedication and his attractions, etc. etc.

And it WOULD be weird. Fantasyland, Frontierland, Adventureland, Star Wars Land? It doesn't jive.

Granted, putting it in the back of the park is really no better. It STILL doesn't fit in with the intimate, classic, tiny original park. But what you're seeing happen in Tomorrowland right now (the Season of the Force event) is probably a lite version of what a Star Wars Tomorrowland would've looked like. And it's... not great.

Not to mention, just shoving Star Wars into the existing Tomorrowland – even if it was a quality shove – would not hold a candle to the immersion and storytelling and detail of Cars Land or the Wizarding World. If Disney's going to do it, they ought to do it big and from scratch. That's the only way they can prove that they can do Harry Potter sized design. Hyperspace Mountain isn't enough. 

• Like 5

For parks open year-round, there is never going to be a good time for maintenance.  Something will always be under refurbishment at any one given time.  At least in this day and age, Disney posts the closures on its website (they're also found on other third party Disney planning sites as well), so people can plan accordingly.  In the past, transforming some of the rides with overlays has only taken 2-3 days, so I wouldn't count on 2 week closures (no guarantees though).  Be thankful you're not Clark Griswold, who drove cross-country to find a whole park closed haha!

• Like 6

This winter may be different than others for Disneyland. The strongest El Nino in 50 years is taking shape, even stronger than the $69 billion Super El Nino of 1997-1998. This means that California will have MUCH more of a chance to have a VERY rainy winter, a very very rainy winter if it turns out like the 1997-1998 one. This probably could affect the construction schedule too since flooding is much more of a possibillity.

It looks like this park will have an even greater lineup next year! 

• Like 2

I'm in the midst of planning a January trip to Disneyland. I was all prepped to visit in late January. Late January / early February is about all that's left of the "off season" anymore, so I expected very low crowds. Of course, in exchange, I knew that quite a few attractions would have their annual refurbishments. 

But wait...

This winter, Disney will begin construction on a new Star Wars land being built in the northwest corner of the park, on the northern shores of the Rivers of America. So on January 11, the following attractions will close for at least a year to facilitate that:

• The Rivers of America
  • The Sailing Ship Columbia
  • The Mark Twain Riverboat
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Explorer Canoes
  • Fantasmic!
  • Big Thunder Ranch (closing permanently) 
But that's not all. January 11 will also mark the official end of the Holiday Time promotion, so we'll have a few seasonal closures:

• Haunted Mansion (closing to remove the Nightmare Before Christmas inspired Holiday overlay... Should open by the end of January, but that's not official yet)
  • Jungle Cruise (closing to remove the Jingle Cruise holiday overlay, and supposedly due to remain closed until summer for an extensive refurbishment.)
  • Autopia

Now don't forget, we're talking about January so it's logical for the water rides to have their annual break: ALSO on January 11, Grizzly River Run closes. Splash Mountain won't be far behind.

THAT SAME DAY, JANUARY 11, the magnificent Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular closes forever to be converted into a (you guessed it) Frozen themed stage show due to open this summer despite 19,000 signatures on a petition, a dedicated Twitter account opposing the change, and almost unanimously negative reaction to the replacement on the official, moderated Disney Parks Blog.

Luigi's Flying Tires has been closed all year as it's replaced with a trackless, LPS flat ride that won't be open by my trip.

Oh, and a week earlier, on January 4, Soarin' Over California closes, maybe for the last time before it becomes Soarin' Around The World (which is absolutely illogical in Disney California Adventure where the original, classic, California-themed ride still attracts massive crowds.)

So it's POSSIBLE that Haunted Mansion and "it's a small world" may be open for some or all of my trip depending on how quickly their holiday overlays disappear, but absolutely everything else in bold above will be closed. Can you imagine?

As long as Indiana Jones Adventure is open, I can bare to press forward with the trip if I have to. However, I'm going to do everything I can to change it to any date before... January 11th... *lightning and thunder, horses whinny, maidens shriek*

Well, there goes my pop's placard, with Tom Sawyer Island.

• Like 1