2015 KIC Off Season Poll Series Week VI: Favorite Dark Ride In Kings Island History

BB1

As every year brings something new and fresh, we sometimes loose an iconic, classic attraction that we loved. Whether it be a high thrill ride, or a mellow boat ride, dark rides at Kings Island have definitely left a deep mark in Kings Island history and Kings Island's enthusiasts. So this week's poll is Dark Rides at Kings Island, which one was your favorite? Which one left the largest mark in Kings Island history?

• Like 2

Phantom Theater most definitely, an instant classic ride,. I believe it left the longest mark in Kings Island history because I know a lot of people want it back, and a lot of people talk about on here, and a lot of people were dissapointed when it was removed. So my answer is Phantom Theater.

• Like 1

Smurf's Enchanted Voyage is a favorite. I have very distinct memories of the nervousness I felt before climbing down from the rotating platform into the boat. For some reason, it always made me nervous. It was one of a few rides I remember going on with my mom. The darkness, the music, the colors, and characters, being with my mom...it's just one big happy memory.

This isn't going to be a popular opinion but I was on Phantom Theater once and didn't care for it. Summer after Senior year in high school, a huge volunteer group I was a part of visited the park. It was my first visit since the late 80s and I was sad and disappointed that the Smurfs were gone. A group of us rode it and ...eh. Not my thing.

edited earlier to fix my typo - I know it was Phantom Theater and not Phantom Voyage - just reminiscing and wishful thinking...maybe if it was a voyage, I would have like it better? :)

• Like 1

Phantom Voyage?

I somehow missed that one! :)

I think it was the big wooden thing at Action Zone. Or maybe it is the big steel thing in KennyWood?

Any who neither were dark rides so I don't know which one he is talking about.

• Like 2

Phantom Voyage?

I somehow missed that one! :)

Hah! Yeah...hello typo! Farewell typo. :)

I think it was the big wooden thing at Action Zone. Or maybe it is the big steel thing in KennyWood?

Any who neither were dark rides so I don't know which one he is talking about.

Wishful thinking on my part. And I'm a she. :)

• Like 5

Very torn here:

Enchanted Voyage was something near Disney scale immersion. A ride I remember vividly +/- 40 years later. The song is still embedded in my memory. The almost overwhelming sights and sounds. A ride that could be re-rode many times, and see something new each time. A slow boat, that as it left one area, would seamlessly move to the next. The accent and mood changing, but they lyrics still in perfect time. How I wish I could board it again, with my grandchildren. 

Phantom Theater was something quite different. Immersive in its theme from queue to exit. The Maestro warning you from his balcony as you waited to board. The sights, sounds, and even climatic changes pulling you into the story line. Again, something I would love to share with the kids. 

I never got to ride TRTR, sadly. My daughter still claims it as her favorite ride ever, wish I had experienced it.

After much self debate, I must put my final vote on Enchanted Voyage. It was an experience, not just a ride. 

• Like 4

My favorite was Phantom Theater. There were several reasons at the time, not the least of which was what felt like almost Disney-level animatronics in my own backyard.

What has stuck with me over time, though, is the unique storyline. Very little of the intellectual property at Kings Island over the years has belonged to the park itself, it was always just an extension of what I could see on my TV, etc. it was nice to have a story I couldn't get anywhere else.

Not that I think it is bad to partner with the characters children already love, but I just think there is so much KI could do with their own stuff. Make a story about the Banshee and The Beast, for example.

• Like 3

The ride I remember most as a child was not The Beastie, was not the bumper cars, was not the log flume... it was the Smurf's Enchanted Voyage. I still distinctly remember that ride, and it also helps my parents took pictures while inside the Smurf's ride that I can look back and see now. :)

• Like 5