Hotel Advice for Kings Dominion Visit in 2016

PGalati

I apologize if this is not the correct place to put this, but it seemed logical to me given the choices.

We are beginning to make plans to visit Kings Dominion for the first time since the late 70's and I am looking for some suggestions for our hotel stay that is convenient to the park, like say 5 miles or less.  I am not sure when yet but any advice you can provide would be fantastic.  We don't need anything fancy because honestly we are hardly there.  We typically like 2 queen non smoking with a refrigerator.  If you frequent Cedar Point, we stay at the Knights Inn and have been happy with its price, location, and amenities.

Anyone stay here:

<https://www.expedia.com/Doswell-Hotels-Country-Inn-Suites-By-Carlson.h2481040.Hotel-Information?chkin=05%2F09%2F2016&chkout=05%2F13%2F2016&rm1=a2&hwrqCacheKey=080f6924-7645-4952-99ef-d739680e9957HWRQ1449510594486&c=a624a1c7-7fb6-4810-a125-b717a1200029&>

Thanks for your time.

• Like 2

One thing I highly recommend is check the bedbug registry before you pick any hotel. They are a really difficult and supposedly expensive thing to get rid of if you get them, but they are pretty easily preventable if you look at the registries and give the room a quick check.]

Country Inns are really nice.

I dunno about that area in particular but I LOVE La Quinta hotels. We originally tried them out because they allowed pets without a deposit or any finicky restrictions, but we stay there now even when we don't have our pets with us. I've been so impressed by this hotel chain. Some are better than others, the reviews on tripadvisor are typically pretty accurate. Most of their rooms are on par with a Hilton or Marriott, but at a much lower price. Most of them have really nice indoor pools as well! Also, they serve a hot & cold complimentary breakfast buffet, and it's REALLY good. Usually they have eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, juice, milk, fruit, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, etc.

http://www.laquintarichmondkingsdominion.com/

This La Quinta has a shuttle service to Kings Dominion so you wouldn't have to pay for parking. I haven't stayed there but it looks pretty neat! And with rates from 69 dollars a night. Edit to add: That's winter rates though, it could go up once the park is reopened for the season.

• Like 1

I'm not going to be of use if you want a hotel there. If you wanted to camp, the KD Camp Wilderness was nice and pricing was on par with the other park owned campground I've camped at. They offer a discount for AAA and have a free shuttle over to the park. It's super close but not quite close enough that you would want to walk there and back. 

One thing I highly recommend is check the bedbug registry before you pick any hotel. They are a really difficult and supposedly expensive thing to get rid of if you get them, but they are pretty easily preventable if you look at the registries and give the room a quick check.]

Country Inns are really nice.

I dunno about that area in particular but I LOVE La Quinta hotels. We originally tried them out because they allowed pets without a deposit or any finicky restrictions, but we stay there now even when we don't have our pets with us. I've been so impressed by this hotel chain. Some are better than others, the reviews on tripadvisor are typically pretty accurate. Most of their rooms are on par with a Hilton or Marriott, but at a much lower price. Most of them have really nice indoor pools as well! Also, they serve a hot & cold complimentary breakfast buffet, and it's REALLY good. Usually they have eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, juice, milk, fruit, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, etc.

I second Steph88 on the bedbug thing. With how much we travel for work, that is a must to look up. Steph 88 - I didn't realize that La Quinta had upped their game that much. It's been a few years since I stayed in one but then, I compared them to a Comfort Inn - at least for the ones I've stayed at in Ohio.  I personally love Comfort Inn/Comfort Suites - their beds are so comfy and they have a really great rewards system. 

• Like 3

La Quinta is awesome. There's still some dumpy ones out there (Elizabethtown KY for one!), but all the others I've stayed at have been fantastic. Garland Harbor outside of Dallas & Wolfchase outside of Memphis are the coolest. They don't have room service like a Marriott or Hilton, but the rooms are just as high of quality.

• Like 1

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Richmond, VA. I know its outside of your 5 mile range but its a quick 15 miles or so from the park and its all highway. It was close to some food places and decent room. No frills (free wifi and very limited but free breakfast) but if you need a cheap room that is about 12-15 minutes away from the park. I thought it was clean and good enough to stay there again.

• Like 2

Quite a bit more than 5 miles, but allow me to make a different recommendation. Feel free to shoot it down if it doesn't fit with your schedule.

Instead of staying in/near Doswell, stay two nights in or near Richmond. That puts you within an hour's drive of both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. Both parks are worth experiencing. You can visit twice the parks while only making one drive out to that region.

I had a great experience at the Courtyard Marriott in Sandston, VA near the airport. I had originally booked the Motel 6 just up the road. The A/C didn't work and the clientele seemed... rough (they have a local police officer patrol their lot at night...). So we requested a refund and went up the street to the Courtyard Marriott, and it was a world of difference. Fantastic hotel, and from time to time you can catch a pretty good price online.

If you definitely don't have time to do both parks, then sadly, I cannot offer any meaningful advice for accommodations in Doswell. But my recommendation would be to set aside the time and do both parks. Just do Kings Dominion first. If you went to Busch Gardens and THEN Kings Dominion, you may find yourself underwhelmed.

• Like 3

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Richmond, VA. I know its outside of your 5 mile range but its a quick 15 miles or so from the park and its all highway. It was close to some food places and decent room. No frills (free wifi and very limited but free breakfast) but if you need a cheap room that is about 12-15 minutes away from the park. I thought it was clean and good enough to stay there again.

I can second this.  It's on Brook Rd. (US Route 1) and I've stayed at this facility at least once every year since 2010.  If you avoid NASCAR race weekends the rates are more than reasonable - around $55-60 per night on average with an additional 10% off if you belong to AAA.  Breakfast options away from the hotel include a Waffle House right across from the parking lot and a McDonalds just a short walk away.

• Like 3