Coasterstock 2016

Magenta Lizard

Then how did Flying Scooters survive the first 50 years? Virtually no park anywhere allowed snapping.

At Camden Park, for example, snapping once got you a season long park ban. Doing it again was a lifetime ban.

Camden's go fast enough to snap?

Untill we went earlier this year I thought they had everything set on super slow.

• Like 1

Hartland allows snapping. Or rather, I've never been yelled at for it. And sometimes, once in a blue moon, you might be lucky enough to catch them running theirs on the high speed setting, in which case they are snappable. Also, the set at Conneaut are snappable and snapping is allowed. And, when park attendance is low enough to count on one hand as it seemed to be when I was there, they'll let you stay on as long as you like.

Of course, this matters little if they don't ever open again...

• Like 6

I had an amazing time at Coasterstock! I'd like to thank Don and the rest of the park immensely for such a memorable and fun event. Despite some questionable weather the first two days, this weekend has been amazing. Between the park's hospitality for providing the event, the giveaways like the shirt and free photo downloads, tours, ERT, and so much more, it's been one of my most enjoyable trips I've ever had to an amusement park. 

• Like 9

35+ hours at Kings Island, separated only by 8-hour sleeping breaks, and I enjoyed every minute. Thanks everyone!

The scavenger hunt was cool, even though my team (and everyone else) got destroyed by 27yankfan. (Congrats, Dan!) Hopefully we see more ideas like this at enthusiast events. Lots of riding is great, but some variety really enhances the event.

• Like 8

^I agree! The scavenger hunt was a blast, and added a great extra activity to the weekend. However, does anyone know where the footer with the bent bolt was located?? I, along with several other people, spent forever trying to find it but to no avail. We did find one that could have matched except the bolt wasn't bent like the one in the picture. 

• Like 3

^ Those footings are from gas light fixtures that have been removed. ohiocolts, aandjgoods & I scoured nearly every public path of the park looking for the one with the bent bolt. (On the plus side, we got lots of exercise!)

It turns out that was an old picture, and the bolt is no longer bent over like that. The correct footing, which Daniel identified despite the diversion, was in plain sight in the mulch of The Bat's exit path.

• Like 3

^I agree! The scavenger hunt was a blast, and added a great extra activity to the weekend. However, does anyone know where was footer with the bent bolt was located?? I, along with several other people, spent forever trying to find it but to no avail. We did find one that could have matched except the bolt wasn't bent like the one in the picture.

The actual one, (and I heard it from the horses mouth) was located in Congo Falls. Yes...that was an AMAZING scavenger hunt. I'll never get tired Tweeting: #kiscavengerhunt & #coasterstock lol!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had a great time at Coasterstock this weekend.  It really is hard to narrow down my favorite part, so many things were great.  If I had to pick, I think getting to ride Flight of Fear on Friday night with the lights on would be my choice.

Sunday night was so strange because the park closed at 8.  All the general population filed out, but we stayed for more ERT.  It was really strange being in the park before dark with the whole place empty.  I did several laps on all of the ERT rides last night.  

Overall a terrific weekend.  I hope Kings Island continues to see value in doing this event in the future.  Thanks so much to Don and the KI staff!

• Like 5

Had a great time at Coasterstock!

Have been hesitant to ride Banshee in any row but 4 or 5 with the longer belts. Tried last season in 8-4 and the computer didn't register it being locked. Tried it last night during ERT due to an empty station. Was able to ride in the front row, and then after went back and rode in 8-4. First time I've done that in a few years.

I will definitely be at next years Coasterstock!

• Like 3

I am exhausted. I've got blisters upon blisters, my back is screaming. I feel like I've been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson.

And I enjoyed every minute of it.

I met some really great people this weekend, I thank you guys (and gals) and the park for making this a really great weekend.

Even if I really think Malem was tryin to kill me. :)

• Like 6

I also had a great time at Coasterstock, though the re-ride policy is annoying. ERT during an enthusiast event with 90% of the rows on the current DB train empty. I move back a row because someone's waiting for the one I'm in and I'm told I have to get off and go back around to ride again. Why?

• Like 7

It was hard for me to choose between Coasterstock and NASA. My nephew/partner in crime wasn't going to be with me this year and being at a park for a weekend surrounded by people that all seem to know each other sounded a bit daunting. Pushed through the internal nerves and glad I went. It was nice to put faces to names and the people I met and talked with were friendly.

Positive things: Friday dinner even with a missing pass that was later found. Fun rides with folks from here and elsewhere. Talking science and rats with someone's grandchildren Saturday night. Daylight Donuts' apple fritter. Sun and blue skies emerging Saturday evening and staying through Sunday. ERT time. Engine house. Behind the scenes photo ops. All the coaster riding after Banshee's photo op.

Looking at my FitBit, I walked 77,653 steps in the three days and 93 flights of stairs. (Going up that last flight stairs was rough, but worth it!) That is likely lower than those that did the scavenger hunt.

• Like 7

My favorite part was another attendee asking me if I am Princess Sparkles mom (using her real name of course). Then being told that they met her Friday night while she was at BLSC and she is amazing. It made me super proud of my daughter that someone remembered her from Friday night to the ERT Sunday night. There's very little that could top a proud mom moment.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I also had a great time at Coasterstock, though the re-ride policy is annoying. ERT during an enthusiast event with 90% of the rows on the current DB train empty. I move back a row because someone's waiting for the one I'm in and I'm told I have to get off and go back around to ride again. Why?

This, right here, is the reason that we no longer have season passes. The park treats people like they are of no value other than a number on a ride counter. If they were doing this at Coasterstock, an ENTHUSIAST event, I am glad we did not go. We'll take our money to Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, or Indiana Beach where it will be appreciated.

• Like 2

I logged 78,771 steps over Coasterstock. Even though I did the scavenger hunt and took nearly 10k steps in that hour, I ended up taking it a lot easier the rest of the day as a result. We were eating in the Festhaus and I caught my first Hollywood Nights show (fantastic!) and ended up hanging out long enough to see it a second time.

To be fair, I had also been at the park open-close the prior Monday. I've more or less been using the season so far as "training" to get me into shape to be able to handle the three days of Coasterstock this year. I don't think I did too bad of a job. I've been a little sore and tired, but only hobble around like an old lady for a few minutes in the morning before my joints warm up. I had been planning to visit KI today to take advantage of the beautiful weather, but decided to give myself a little more recovery time instead.

There were many wonderful things about this Coasterstock, and a couple things that cast a shadow over the event. Overall, the positive greatly outweigh the negative. I have met so many new people, and gotten to know some better, and spend time with friends I haven't seen much lately. The activities were wonderful, but what stands out most looking back on the weekend is the people.

• Like 9