Coasterstock 2016

Magenta Lizard

I had a great time.  Got a chance to meet a lot of people and for at least a short period of time can put a face to the screen name.  I will recognize several people in the future just will never remember the names to go along with it.  I rode Diamondback and The Beast more over the weekend then I have been able to all season long so far.

I hope people will remember the good instead of the bad.  It just feels like last years event was remembered more for how bad the ribs were then anything else.  This years event looks like it will be remembered for the ban on snapping.

Looking at the good we had tons of ERT, a pretty good meal on Saturday night, a fun scavenger hunt, an interesting talk by Dennis Speigel, access to locations that normal park guests are not allowed, and an opportunity to meet a lot of people who have similar interests.  I am a little surprised no one is talking about how good the chicken was.

On the other hand the park really needs to work on the check-in process it would not have been as bad if it had not been raining but only having two people to check-in on Friday night was crazy.  The line to check-in took an hour.  When check-in starts at 6PM and the first event is at 7PM it should be possible to arrive just after 6 and still make it for the first event and yet I did not get my lanyard until 7:15.

• Like 7

I enjoyed my Coasterstock experience.  Although I didn't take part in all events, the ones I did participate in were outstanding. 

The only negatives I took away were not really related to the event--the crowds were insane on Saturday.  Lots of school kids.  Food lines were terrible.

I even enjoyed my first night ride on The Racer (blue) in the pouring rain. 

The ride operators on each attraction were outstanding.  They didn't seem annoyed to be working late and were enthusiastic.  (Especially the guy on Diamondback and his expectation of Fury 325!)

• Like 3

I don't count my coaster rides. I don't really care to say, "I rode ____ x number of times." Really, what's the point? How many people trully care that one guy has over 13,000 rides on Diamondback? How many people really care that a certain someone has over 12,000 rides on Racer? What's the difference between having an exact number and saying, "I really like ____. I've ridden it a bunch of times."

I had an outstanding time at Coasterstock this year. I'll have a trip report up soon about it. I think the good was excellent this time and the ERT was outstanding. I was with my family for most of the time so I missed out on all of the meetups but it was nice to meet some of the members here for the final ride on Banshee.

Do any of you enthusiasts use an app to count your coaster rides? If so, what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an app called 'Multi Counter' produced by akibonn. I use it for the amount of laps I take on a specific ride. It is available for Android. I'm not sure about IOS. No extra permissions on the app and it simple to use. I use coaster count to track all of the coasters I have been on.
  • Like 1

I also had a great time at Coasterstock, though the re-ride policy is annoying. ERT during an enthusiast event with 90% of the rows on the current DB train empty. I move back a row because someone's waiting for the one I'm in and I'm told I have to get off and go back around to ride again. Why?

I cant fathom why they would do this

During the train tour, Engineer Steve showed a picture from one of the employee yearbooks from the late 70s. I couldn't see it very well from my position, but I realized that I owned a copy of either that year or a close one (I bought a couple of the yearbooks on eBay awhile ago).

I finally looked through my '78 employee yearbook for the KI&MV train crew, and I believe that is him, second from the right:

8a744ac132f7bfc9ec4cf31c6c5a2a81.jpg

• Like 12