Virtual reality rides set to invade theme parks in 2016

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-vr-coasters-virtual-reality-rides-20151215-story.html

Canada’s Wonderland amusement park outside Toronto will add VR headsets to the Thunder Run roller coaster in 2016 for an upcharge fee after testing the devices on the ride during the offseason, according to company officials.

Thunder Run riders wearing VR headsets will fly on the back of a fire-breathing dragon above a medieval village and experience an imaginary corkscrew element on the inversionless mine train coaster. The VR experience will require riders to travel twice around the track without knowing exactly when the second lap begins. Daily capacity for the virtual reality experience will be limited to continue to allow non-VR riders on Thunder Run.

VR headsets will likely be added to another coaster at one of the 11 locations in the Cedar Fair amusement park chain, said CEO Matt Ouimet during a recent interview.

Much more in the article as well.

• Like 5

This may appeal to some guests, but there seems to be something that you are taking away from an outdoor coaster experience doing this. Indoor coaster or dark ride okay, that makes sense, but not an outdoor coaster. Maybe it is the combination VR with a normal coaster experience that seems odd to me. If there was a coaster built specifically designed for it, and that was your ride experience I would buy into it a little easier. Maybe it is just me?  B)

• Like 3

If as the article said 'VR will be used to boost ridership on coasters that aren’t running at full capacity' I just don't see why they chose Thunder Run for it... The 40" height requirement makes it accessible to almost everyone... If the ride isn't at 'full capacity' it's due to empty seats beside riders who are part of odd numbered groups, not due to the ride not being popular... Adding VR isn't going to make me sit squashed beside someone else...

The money could've been spent on sprucing up the ride (maybe more lighting effects or a makeover for Herman?)

And then there's the issue of headset cleanliness...

• Like 4

I'm very much against VR on roller coasters (enjoy the natural view!), but part of me is a bit curious what this might be like. And yeah, like IndyGuy said, I'd rather have a brand-new coaster that's built with the VR tech in mind rather than trying one on an existing coaster. Also, I could see other issues with VR and coasters such as screen malfunctioning/computer glitches. Other questions include: If the VR syncs with the ride, what happens in the case of an e-stop or another type of emergency situation? How easy would the headset be to remove in the event of an emergency? Would a rider be able to perceive a potential emergency if they are wearing a VR headset? Just some things to think about...

• Like 4

I hope they offer the option not to wear them.  While it might help the parks rekindle old attractions, the technology is up to par now-a-days, and some people may clamor for it, I for one go to amusement parks to get outside, away from electronics and such.  

I could see it working on indoor rides, such as a certain theater with moving seats between The Racer turnarounds...

Why wasn't this around when Tomb Raider needed re-theming? :P

• Like 5

If as the article said 'VR will be used to boost ridership on coasters that aren’t running at full capacity' I just don't see why they chose Thunder Run for it... The 40" height requirement makes it accessible to almost everyone... If the ride isn't at 'full capacity' it's due to empty seats beside riders who are part of odd numbered groups, not due to the ride not being popular...

I wonder if for testing purposes, choosing a ride that they know is popular will better guide their decision? If a ride typically sees a fair number of rides, seeing the number stay stable change drastically either way, could let them know if it's worth a larger scale adjustment of a lesser performing ride?

Edited to finish my thought. Not sure how I managed that!

I hope they offer the option not to wear them. While it might help the parks rekindle old attractions, the technology is up to par now-a-days, and some people may clamor for it, I for one go to amusement parks to get outside, away from electronics and such.

I could see it working on indoor rides, such as a certain theater with moving seats between The Racer turnarounds...

Why wasn't this around when Tomb Raider needed re-theming?

They were too preoccupied figuring out a way to reduce maitenence from the physical wear of The Beast of a machine. Their solution was not praised.
  • Like 1

I hope they offer the option not to wear them.  While it might help the parks rekindle old attractions, the technology is up to par now-a-days, and some people may clamor for it, I for one go to amusement parks to get outside, away from electronics and such.  

Why wasn't this around when Tomb Raider needed re-theming? :P

They will only allow so many users per train... The loading process is already slow due to a large percentage of the riders on Thunder Run who can't buckle their own seat belts, and due to the nature of the ride, there is only one train...

• Like 1

Because they wouldnt wanna invest enough to include it as a staple experience.

I think most people will enjoy it once or twice.. and then never touch it again. Unless some deal or discount is given to pass holders & employees?

We could all probably assume it won't be the most wallet friendly purchase to make every visit.

• Like 1

My stomach can't handle the VR or motion simulator type experiences. I try, hoping that this time will be different from the last, and nope. Still makes me nauseated. This is not a experience that I will likely want to even try.

As others have said, I too wonder about the logistics of adding this experience. The syncing of the video with the coaster. The sanitation after use against germs and bugs. How are they going to keep something attached to the person's head while the coaster is in motion. The time for adjustment of the headpiece to each person.

I'm sure these are things taken into consideration but it will be interesting to see how each are addressed when this becomes reality next season.

• Like 4

....rust.

Apparently.

Which evokes an interesting question. Why IS Diamondback's water THAT color?

Brown Algae.   I hope KI would make sure that water stays pretty clean. I don't see how hard it would be to recirculate that water, chlorinate and filter it? It would be nice to look at instead of nasty water.

• Like 4

I see this as a way for Cedar Fair to gain more money since the VR is an upcharge.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I am curious as to what other coaster they are debating adding this too. 

If the VR-on-an-existing-coaster experience is in fact an upcharge, then I certainly won't be trying it!

-MDMC, who is already on the fence about wearing VR headgear on a roller coaster. 

• Like 3