Kings Island 2016 Major "Birthdays"

BoddaH1994

This will be a big year for milestones.  

The Grand Carousel turns 90 (1926)

The Kings Island Theater turns 40 (1976)

The [original] Bat would have been 35 (1981)

Zephyr and 2nd incarnation Dodgem turn 30 (1986)

Adventure Express turns 25 (1991)

Flight of Fear turns 20 (1996)

Flying Ace Aerial Chase turns 15 (2001)

Last year of the King Cobra was 15 years ago (2001)

Surf Dog turns 10 (2006)

Cedar Fair's acquisition of Kings Island was 10 years ago (2006)

WindSeeker turns 5 (2011)

Some of these are shocking.  AE is 25?  Wow!  Time flies!

• Like 14

I feel very, very old.

2016 -- Kings Island's 45th season.

I thought it was the 44th?

This is a common math error. It is the 44th anniversary and 45th season. When counting the total number of seasons, the count must be inclusive of both ends, but simply subtracting one from the other produces a number that only counts one end (which is correct only for the anniversary).

To illustrate, 1973 − 1972 = 1, but everyone can agree that 1973 was not the first season, but rather the second; it was, however, the first anniversary.

• Like 8

EDIT - Withdrawn.  I was wrong. Wow, memories do tend to jumble with age.

-Tb

Time is an illusion. It goes by faster than you think it will. When I reached my 40s, spans of 20 years began to seem like nothing. Don't dawdle, young ones: that line about "life passing you by" is no joke. Get your lives in order quickly, then savor every precious moment of every day. The mythic, false sense of youthful security will haunt you when it spits you out; and that's coming right up!

• Like 12

Holy crap.  I remember riding Adventure Express one of the first weekends it opened that season.  I was so addicted to that ride that one Saturday, when I went back with a friend, it had hardly any wait so we marathoned it.  Can't believe that's been 25 years ago.  How old am I again? Gosh!

• Like 8

The one that surprises me the most is that WindSeeker is 5 years old, wow it is going to be five years since I got back into theme parks with my August 2011 visit to Kings Island, the first time since 2005. 2005 was ten years ago.... :blink: Then 2017 will hit me like a ton of bricks with 2012 being five years ago :wacko: .  I cannot wait for next season. I will hopefully visit the park much more than I did in 2015 in 2016.....

• Like 7

It's hard to believe that 5 years ago (in 2010), Planet Snoopy was new, Diamondback had just celebrated it's inaugural season, Soak City was still Boomerang Bay and Banshee, Cirque Imagine and The Boyz are Back were perhaps simply amazing ideas for future consideration. Also, The Bat was known as Flight Deck, Xtreme Skyflier remained unpainted and Son of Beast was just there. A lot has changed over the years...

EDIT: I didn't realize we were talking about 2016, whoops... Oh well, my thoughts still remain. Add to this list that 5 years ago from 2016, Dinosaurs Alive had just opened, as did WindSeeker. Diamondback's Single Rider line was no more as Fast Lane came onto the scene. 

• Like 8

Cedar Fair's acquisition of the park.....10 years ago?......That's crazy!

Most boggling piece on that list is that WindSeeker will be five! Seems like just the other day it was Opening Day 2011 and I was walking through Coney Mall towards a strange new tower of giant proportions, only to find that it was nowhere near ready for riders or testing for that matter. :P 

• Like 8

On this New Year's Eve, as I've done across the eleven years I've been a member of this amazing site, I check the members' list, to look for names I haven't seen in awhile. Since so many milestones are coming up, I set the filter to posters who have more than 300 posts, yet whose last visit was before December 31, 2010. A picture is worth a thousand words, and your Thrill Biscuit can get a little sentimental, so interpret however you wish; but while doing so, please have a wonderful New Year, and may all of you (not just those in the picture), wherever you are, be blessed in 2016!

FiveYears.png

• Like 7