Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

lpSAHki.jpg

This project involves widening Kings Island Drive to better support incoming traffic off of I-71. Improvements also include the addition of a left turn lane into Kings Island for southbound traffic, new medians, new curbs and gutters, new traffic signals, overhead signage, decorative lighting and a bike path from Western Row Road to Great Wolf Drive.

Construction crews are working on the installation of an underground storm pipe on Kings Island Drive. There will be occasional single lane closures in both the north and southbound lanes while this work is taking place, with some lane closures occurring overnight Monday through Thursday.

All lanes will be open to traffic Friday through Sunday.

Signage will be placed in the project area to alert drivers of changes to traffic patterns.

- See more at: http://www.imaginewesternrow.com/projects/kings-island-drive-improvements/#sthash.2b3qAC11.dpuf

Happy New Years! I know I posted this just a few short hours (6 hours) before the new years, but since I will be busy at the midnight hour when I wanted to post this... I decided to post it now.

With a new year, that means a new discussion thread for Kings Island! This year is the 2016 season, or 45/44th season at the park.

• Like 16

I am honestly ecstatic for 2016. New waterslides at the waterpark, a new enterance, it's going to be amazing. Hopefully i can do more this year than last year, and maybe get to more meetups than before.

Oh, and i have the utter most privledge of being the first to post in this topic!

Happy New Year!

• Like 7

Thank you CoasterOhio for making this thread. I think 2016 will be a great year for Kings Island with the new water slides, new huge parking entrance, and (rumors circulating) a repaved parking lot! The navigation panel seems like a great idea for those who just simply want to catch up on the thread and be able to go to the section that they want to read about. Thank you!

Happy New Year Everybody and to all, Have a great 2016!

• Like 6

I've seen a lot of asphalt trucks over there. A lot of 'em.  ^_^ Methinks the parking lot is going to be pleasantly comely ere yonder summertide!

Looking at some pictures of the construction... I don't think they're putting new asphalt in, (At least around the entrance) The reason why I state this, is because they already asphalted the parking lot near the entrance, and that just makes me think that they are not going to do that area. Maybe in the other areas like near the walk way. Could we see a new grassy area near the sign just like the path from the road to the entrance (The road between the grassy areas is what i'm referring to.)

CXfjhKUWwAU7AQk.jpgtwit-pic

I could be wrong, but it looks like they're not going to add more to the parking lot, but then again, that edge does look very rough. Time will tell, time will tell.

Drink pass?

I believe the person meant the multi-park cup offer.

• Like 7

Figured I'd add a banner to this post of Banshee. :D I'll change it to a photo of either the new waterslide set, or the Parking toll once opening day is upon us.

The parking tolls would be best IMO. They would work better as a horizontal banner, and make a nice metaphor as the "entrance" to the thread. :)

• Like 2

Magenta Lizard, this year I was able to purchase a 2016 cup (in advance) that will allow me to have free drinks all season long...not just on the first day.  I believe it was $24.99.  They do not add it to your gold pass.  They gave me a receipt, told me to keep it all winter, and bring it back on my first visit.  I was told that I would then get a cup which would have a bar code for unlimited refills.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm probably going to do this because with a little guy a big thing of lemonade is delicious. I'm so split on what they do. The cup is great, but drink cups would be better for some of us. But paper costs would get expensive quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you were to take a closer look at the way the new gate is set up, it takes you almost directly next to the old graveyard. Sure, it would be a nice setting for Haunt, but I don't know how I feel with starting out my day going right past dead bodies in the ground at the FUN park during the Summer. 

• Like 3

Forget that. What about the families who have loved ones buried there?

I can assure you the park will never commercialize that cemetery. It is hallowed ground.

Regardless of what blarney Cedar Fair spewed about Haunt in the early years, there ARE limits.

As well there should be.

That's exactly what I mean. It's blasphemy to touch graves and it's against the law, but to have set the entrance a little bit over would have been better than right next to the graves. 

On the subject of the cemetery, if a relative or loved one of somebody buried there wanted to come and pay their respects, how would that work? Do they have to pay the parking toll? Could they even do so during the offseason when the park is closed? My curiosity had been piqued.

On another note,

Holiday World and Alabama Adventure....

See also Hartland, for some early buyers of season passes. Even they can manage "free" drinks in paper cups. Not that their business strategies are ones that other parks necessarily want to mimic.
  • Like 2

Considering the age of the graves, it would have to be a distant relative, and their loved ones are most assuredly dead and buried themselves.

Looking at a photo I took of Missouri Jane's stone, it looks like the date was 1846. The other graves in the cemetery are of similar timeframes.

I don't like that the nearness of the new entrance may bring more interest and vandalism to the cemetery, so I hope some attempt to at least make it less obvious with fencing or landscaping is added.

Edited to add:

A listing of the graves at Dog Street Cemetery (which I just learned is the name)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2157659

• Like 4

We know Cirque Imagine is moving to Carowinds.

I have heard more than that (and had inferred quite a bit on my own), but was asked not to repeat it. I think that fans of Cirque Imagine will not be terribly disappointed by this year's replacement in the KI theater, even if we will miss the performers we came to enjoy, the same way we missed the ones who were part of Cirque 2014 but not '15. That was how I felt since I first heard Cirque Imagine would not be returning in 2016, before I had even heard any other rumor: sad to see it go, but confident in those who made the decisions to bring us Cirque in the first place, and excited to see what they bring next.

As for the rest of live entertainment, I haven't heard a whole lot, and I'm not very invested in it emotionally. I did enjoy the roaming entertainment last year, in particular the KI Paint Dept. drummers and KI5 on the too rare occasion I saw them, and would love to see more of those types of things.

• Like 11