Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

On the subject of the cemetery, if a relative or loved one of somebody buried there wanted to come and pay their respects, how would that work? Do they have to pay the parking toll? Could they even do so during the offseason when the park is closed? My curiosity had been piqued.

I've been to the cemetery during the off-season, I park in Great Wolf Lodge's parking lot and I just walk over to it.

• Like 3

It seems to me that nearly the entire month of August is being under-utilized. Have they always closed at 8:00 that early in the season? And ended daily operation that early in the season as well? I don't know if it has always been this way or if it is a recent change, but that seems rather inefficient to cap the operating hours of such a potentially profitable time...

• Like 3

^It's not just local schools.  Colleges and technical schools start even earlier than them, including the likes of activities like band camps (a lot of KI employees are in bands I would imagine), orientation, moving in, etc.  

Also, why staff longer days on ones you know will be less crowded? That 2nd week of August is usually pretty dead. 

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but  is April 16th a bit earlier in the month than the park had been opening in recent seasons since coming under Cedar Fair ownership? I welcome the change if so, it's been the last week or so of April in recent years (with the caveat being that the park was still technically open the same amount or more days than in the past because of an earlier start to daily operation) correct?

Side note: I love the picture of The Beast at the top of the page, a very unique perspective that I hadn't seen before!

• Like 3

This is one of many reasons I do not believe the TEA attendance figures. NJFTP opens earlier, has more days of operation, doesn't go to weekends only post summer season until after Labor Day, draws from two VERY large metropolitan areas, seems far more packed during BooFest, yet we are to believe Kings Island and Cedar Point have more attendance.

Horse hockey!

• Like 4

Has it always been this drastic? Closing at 8:00 during the second week of August seems to be a bit of a stretch to me.

I'm wondering if the local schools are starting earlier this year.

2016's calendar makes the effect more pronounced, with August starting on a Monday.

• Like 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but  is April 16th a bit earlier in the month than the park had been opening in recent seasons since coming under Cedar Fair ownership? I welcome the change if so, it's been the last week or so of April in recent years (with the caveat being that the park was still technically open the same amount or more days than in the past because of an earlier start to daily operation) correct?

Side note: I love the picture of The Beast at the top of the page, a very unique perspective that I hadn't seen before!

Opening day indeed used to be the last Saturday in April for a while, but it was moved up to the third weekend in April in 2014 for Banshee's opening, and it's stuck there ever since.

• Like 7

including the likes of activities like band camps (a lot of KI employees are in bands I would imagine), orientation, moving in, etc.

You'd be surprised how many there actually are. I've met a few. A lot come straight from Kings HS.

Could weather have something to do with it?  Spring is kind of unpredictable in SW Ohio, especially between March and mid-April.  Any of you guys who went to Banshee's media day should know that pretty well.   ;)

I believe with the El-nino weather we have, the team took that into account and had a decision to open the park a little earlier than normal. Though recent years it has gone up, but the park has opened even earlier than this before.

• Like 3

PSA for anyone planning a trip, especially in April: dates & times are subject to change, so check the park calendar in advance of your visit.

Last year, if I'm recalling correctly, the date of the (Cincinnati Financial?) park buy-out in April changed after the calendar was first published. (Originally shown as the second Sunday, later corrected to the first Sunday.)

• Like 3

Just a reminder that the current season pass offers expire Sunday, January 10 at midnight.

Looking at Knott's Berry Farm's website, where prices have already gone up, new & renewed platinum passes are going up $12, and platinum dining plans are going up $27.

• Like 2

That does not appear to be the final layer of asphault. Looks more like a sub base or temporary surface. Way too rough looking to be a final.

I was just past the park earlier. The top layer of the whole lot appears to be scuffed. So I would say the whole lot will be paved. Why would they put a nice new roll up with just a short section of new blacktop. You know the 45th is next year. Sure they want to make it pretty. ;)

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 7

That does not appear to be the final layer of asphault. Looks more like a sub base or temporary surface. Way too rough looking to be a final.

I was just past the park earlier. The top layer of the whole lot appears to be scuffed. So I would say the whole lot will be paved. Why would they put a nice new roll up with just a short section of new blacktop. You know the 45th is next year. Sure they want to make it pretty. ;)

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 4

I'd guess that prices at the tolls will remain at $15 daily, at least until Haunt. No need to kill the goodwill associated with the investment by tying it to an(other) incremental price increase. Offering upgrades at the "same" price is a good customer service move.

• Like 1