Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

THAT is great news.

One thing I've been not only suggesting, but hoping for quite some time, is a diverse ERT lineup. Having the same rides the whole season for Early Entry just gets somewhat repetitive, though I will say that getting a couple warmup laps on Banshee was a great way to start most visits last season.

With this new lineup, it gives you something new to look forward to each month.

Thanks KI !

• Like 11

Changing up the Early Ride Time rides from month-to-month.  Shame to see Banshee off the list until August, but I think I'm more happy to see additional diversity in the choices.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/passholder/offer-detail/Passholder-Early-Ride-Times/?mobile=0

Gee, I wonder what ride will be on the ERT in 2017...hehehehe

• Like 2

Could you confirm?

What is the paving company's name?

When are they going to do it?

Just figured it's best to confirm.

John R Jurgensen is the paving company and I was told the project should be completed in the spring which makes sense since the park will be opening in April. How long it takes to repave an entire parking lot that size I have no idea?
I was in the parking lot (with permission - of course) I didn't see any evidence of repaving. As someone noted before, it may not be able to be done in extreme cold. Just remember: not only do they have to repair the lot but they have to repraint the thousands of parking spots. It sure is going to be a crunch this spring.
  • Like 2

Maybe they should have a paving schedule--start this year near the new entrance and repave X acres and progress each year.  Coasterohio, I haven't had a chance to grab the photo from my Facebook, Ive been swamped with work this week.  I'll try to get it done tonight if snowpocalyse doesn't require to board at the hospital.  (I am a nurse.)  

• Like 4

Doing calculations... The size of the lot is 76* acres. (As a guestimate really, since the new parking lot does not show up on google earth which is why the * is there.) and I'd say that's probably how much is really going to remain, there might be new parking areas where the old south lanes were once at.

Just as a quick sketch in Google Earth in a minute or two, I got ~88 Acres. The imagery date is October of 2015. Obviously, this is in no way precise, but just a relatively decent idea.

23892572684_fd05dec1ef_b.jpg

• Like 11

I would have to do some digging on the Halley`s Comet.  I believe when Coney Mall was extended in 1975, Halley`s Comet was moved more towards where Flight Commander used to reside/where the entrance to Dinosaur`s Alive is at.

Flying Eagles was located on the current site of the 3-Point Challenge, which is next to Juke Box Diner.

• Like 4

Flying Eagles was originally located in the area formerly known as Coney Mall in the spot where Dogem is currently.  It came from Coney Island in 1972 and in 1986 was moved back to where the basketball game is near Shake Rattle N Roll/Vortex are now.

The original Bat was located where Vortex is now--Vortex reuses the station.

Halley's Comet was removed in 1979.

• Like 9

Just as a quick sketch in Google Earth in a minute or two, I got ~88 Acres. The imagery date is October of 2015. Obviously, this is in no way precise, but just a relatively decent idea.

23892572684_fd05dec1ef_b.jpg

Ahh. I see how you got 88 acres compared to me getting 76 or so.

I did not include areas of the parking lot that were already repaved. (Preferred + Handicap) Due to obvious reasons of why tear up road that was nicely redone and happy the way it is.

• Like 9

Ahh. I see how you got 88 acres compared to me getting 76 or so.

I did not include areas of the parking lot that were already repaved. (Preferred + Handicap) Due to obvious reasons of why tear up road that was nicely redone and happy the way it is.

Ah, I haven't been to the park in a couple years now, and was unaware a few parts have been redone. I actually considered it, but from the satellite the whole lot appeared to be roughly the same condition (just a guess based on the color).

Either way, researching a bit online (for what that's worth), it appears the average cost to repave a lot with asphalt is $1.25-$1.50/sq. ft. So if the lot that needs paving is closer to 76 acres (or 3,310,560 sq. ft), that means the full lot would cost anywhere from $4,175,700 to $4,965,840. If it is closer to 88 acres (or 3,833,280 sq. ft.), then you're talking anywhere from $4,791,600 to $5,7499,920. Youch! That is no small investment! Of course it can vary based on things like if it needs restructuring to fix runoff issues, curbs need replacing, etc. This is strictly a cost just to mill and repave. Just goes to show how much it can cost to upkeep the things we don't really think about and not every year can be a big, bad new ride!

• Like 4

They used to have a "Busytown Grille."  It is now known as the Planet Snoopy Grill.  It is right next to the stand that serves blue ice cream.  The restrooms that are located right near the Grill are near where the blue elephant fountain used to sit.  I have many childhood memories of watching that elephant shoot water out of its trunk.  That elephant now resides at Jungle Jims in Fairfield.

• Like 7

They used to have a "Busytown Grille." It is now known as the Planet Snoopy Grill. It is right next to the stand that serves blue ice cream. The restrooms that are located right near the Grill are near where the blue elephant fountain used to sit. I have many childhood memories of watching that elephant shoot water out of its trunk. That elephant now resides at Jungle Jims in Fairfield.

Actually the old Busytown stand is now Chick-fil-A.

Disregard, I'm wrong. Planet Snoopy Grill was indeed Busytown Grill, while Chick-fil-A was Magilla Gorilla's Grill.

• Like 4