Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Interesting to note the ticket prices for 2016.

Online, single-day tickets to Kings Island as of now (they may go up when the park opens) are $39.99, and are advertised as saving the customer $24 off front-gate pricing.  If this is true, then front-gate tickets this season will be $63.99.  For the 2015 season, I believe front gate was $61.99 and online was $41.99 for weekdays and $43.99 for weekends.  

So they have lowered online prices but raised front gate prices.  They've widened the gap.

• Like 4

To those who mention it... There will be a season pass preview night this year. More than likely to preview the new gate and renovations in Rivertown more than anything. But there is still going to be one. It will be on the 15th of April this year (One day before Opening day)

Friday Night everyone!

• Like 5

...and the new big ride? Twice. IF you pay for the highest level, and most expensive, The Flash Pass. After that, you can buy it again or wait like everybody else who didn't.

SIX also does a far, far better job of blending the two lines--as opposed to FUN. On Banshee opening day, for instance, some regular liners waited five hours while Fast Lane buyers not only hogged shirt after shirt (many later sold on EBay) but also ride after ride after ride. One young lad claimed to have gotten 24 rides that day, and 14 shirts.

Just wanted to touch on this.  I completely agree with what's written here - particularly in regards to SIX blending lines better.  The vast majority of the time the Flash Pass line and the regular line don't run right next to each other.  As such, Flash Pass users and those in the standby line often don't see each other until they arrive at the station.  This makes for a much better experience for those on both sides as the lack of interaction between the two lines makes things a lot less uncomfortable for everyone.

The other thing that SIX does better than FUN in the skip-the-line game is their ability to manage Flash Pass users electronically.  This has two major benefits:

1.  Flash Pass users don't need to physically stand in a line until they're reservation is ready.  Flash Pass users have a lot more freedom to do what they want when they want.
  2.  SIX can better allocate manage Flash Pass users and better disperse them throughout the park.  This is really critical if you have a park that has one or two really popular rides and a bunch of mediocre stuff after that.  Six Flags New England is a great example.  Bizarro/Superman has by far the largest Flash Pass demand there.  If left unchecked you would have crazy amounts of Flash Pass users roll through and the normal line would move at a glacial pace.  In reality, SIX simply adjusts the reservation time so that it spaces amount Flash Pass users much more evenly.  It's much fairer for all parties.

Cedar Fair hasn't gone to virtual queuing for one reason and one reason only - they see 100% of the benefit because they don't have to split the proceeds with anyone.  The current Fast Lane system has positives - it's easy to understand for guests, there's no electronic device to worry about losing, and the system is cheap to operate from Cedar Fair's perspective.

Fast Lane's only major flaw is its complete inability to manage the wait times for popular coasters, particularly at Cedar Point.  I haven't run in to any major issues at other Cedar Fair parks with Fast Lane users, but there are simply too many Fast Lane users at Cedar Point concentrated at the popular coasters there for me to justify spending the money.  Cedar Point needs to seriously re-evaluate its Fast Lane pricing structure.  They're clearly not maximizing revenue because price increases haven't diminished Fast Lane demand.  There has to be a point at which you can pull in maximum revenue and still keep the number of Fast Lane users down to a more manageable number.  I'm betting that price is somewhere around $100 on non-peak and around $150 on peak days.  Spending additional money to still physically have to wait in a half hour (or longer) line doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Like 8

...and the new big ride? Twice. IF you pay for the highest level, and most expensive, The Flash Pass. After that, you can buy it again or wait like everybody else who didn't.

SIX also does a far, far better job of blending the two lines--as opposed to FUN. On Banshee opening day, for instance, some regular liners waited five hours while Fast Lane buyers not only hogged shirt after shirt (many later sold on EBay) but also ride after ride after ride. One young lad claimed to have gotten 24 rides that day, and 14 shirts.

Just wanted to touch on this. I completely agree with what's written here - particularly in regards to SIX blending lines better. The vast majority of the time the Flash Pass line and the regular line don't run right next to each other. As such, Flash Pass users and those in the standby line often don't see each other until they arrive at the station. This makes for a much better experience for those on both sides as the lack of interaction between the two lines makes things a lot less uncomfortable for everyone.

The other thing that SIX does better than FUN in the skip-the-line game is their ability to manage Flash Pass users electronically. This has two major benefits:

• Flash Pass users don't need to physically stand in a line until they're reservation is ready. Flash Pass users have a lot more freedom to do what they want when they want.
  • SIX can better allocate manage Flash Pass users and better disperse them throughout the park. This is really critical if you have a park that has one or two really popular rides and a bunch of mediocre stuff after that. Six Flags New England is a great example. Bizarro/Superman has by far the largest Flash Pass demand there. If left unchecked you would have crazy amounts of Flash Pass users roll through and the normal line would move at a glacial pace. In reality, SIX simply adjusts the reservation time so that it spaces amount Flash Pass users much more evenly. It's much fairer for all parties.
Cedar Fair hasn't gone to virtual queuing for one reason and one reason only - they see 100% of the benefit because they don't have to split the proceeds with anyone. The current Fast Lane system has positives - it's easy to understand for guests, there's no electronic device to worry about losing, and the system is cheap to operate from Cedar Fair's perspective.

Fast Lane's only major flaw is its complete inability to manage the wait times for popular coasters, particularly at Cedar Point. I haven't run in to any major issues at other Cedar Fair parks with Fast Lane users, but there are simply too many Fast Lane users at Cedar Point concentrated at the popular coasters there for me to justify spending the money. Cedar Point needs to seriously re-evaluate its Fast Lane pricing structure. They're clearly not maximizing revenue because price increases haven't diminished Fast Lane demand. There has to be a point at which you can pull in maximum revenue and still keep the number of Fast Lane users down to a more manageable number. I'm betting that price is somewhere around $100 on non-peak and around $150 on peak days. Spending additional money to still physically have to wait in a half hour (or longer) line doesn't make any sense to me.

Especially when you can play the Plinko-style game for 5-10 bucks that gives you a very reasonable chance to win a pair of front-of-the-line passes on the rides with traditionally the longest waits.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

To those who mention it... There will be a season pass preview night this year. More than likely to preview the new gate and renovations in Rivertown more than anything. But there is still going to be one. It will be on the 15th of April this year (One day before Opening day)

Friday Night everyone!

Important to note: The Preview Night in the spring is for passholders who renewed by the November 6 deadline in the fall. Only passes renewed by the deadline will be valid for admission to the preview event. 

• Like 14

...which I still don't understand why it's not gambling.

At least with the Plinko-type game, you do win something for your money.  If you go by traditional definitions of gambling, you pay to play, with the knowledge that you may end up with nothing.  Of course, there are other games in the park where that's the case.

As I've often noted, games of chance on Ohio amusement park midways have been played since long before modern laws regulated gambling. Had the office of the Ohio Attorney General wanted to act, it has had plenty of time to do so.

I suspect that it's not considered gambling simply because it's traditionally not seen that way. Also, removing arcades from amusement parks to meet the letter of recently enacted laws might not be a very popular action, especially in a state where amusement parks are an important part of the tourism economy. But see Florida.

• Like 4

Someone stated about the White Water Canyon Lockers being torn down as well?

I'm looking at the Webcam right now and I can still see the lockers there, right where the Soccor game is going to be. So I don't believe they're being removed. Or else they would've at least been gone by now.

• Like 1

Someone stated about the White Water Canyon Lockers being torn down as well?

I'm looking at the Webcam right now and I can still see the lockers there, right where the Soccor game is going to be. So I don't believe they're being removed. Or else they would've at least been gone by now.

Im sure they will take care of the lockers location when it's time. We (probably) dont know their timeline, there's still plenty of time to relocate lockers. Id expect lockers to be installed at least after the queue has has concrete/ blacktop poured.
  • Like 1

I just thought about something regarding the new toll plaza. Gold and Platinum Pass holders are supposed to get dedicated, automated lanes just for them. But we all know how dumb some members of the general public can be.

So what happens when a non-passholder ends up in the Gold Pass automated lanes, either accidentally or because they're too stupid to read the signs before picking a lane? Not to mention that the Gold Pass lanes are likely to be the shortest when the tolls are busy, meaning that some people will say "hey, that line's a lot shorter; I'm going to cut over there!" without realizing that they can't use that lane (after all, people did exactly that with Diamondback's single rider line).

I really hope they have a solution to prevent a non-passholder in an automated lane that can only handle passes from bringing the whole lane to a complete halt.

• Like 5