Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Preview night info was mentioned earlier in this topic...

To those who mention it... There will be a season pass preview night this year. More than likely to preview the new gate and renovations in Rivertown more than anything. But there is still going to be one. It will be on the 15th of April this year (One day before Opening day)

Friday Night everyone!

Important to note: The Preview Night in the spring is for passholders who renewed by the November 6 deadline in the fall. Only passes renewed by the deadline will be valid for admission to the preview event. 

• Like 2

Here's a construction picture of the Rivertown funnel cake stand courtesy of the KI Twitter account (posted a few days ago):

https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/700487529162788865

CbihskBWEAAXqkn.jpg

I'm thoroughly confused by this picture, but...whatever...it'll all make sense come mid-April.  :-)

In the above picture, it seems to me like it'll be the same type of stand as the one on International Street. The only difference really here is that it's being built from ground up where the other was built onto a structure. I'm assuming you'll enter one door, go through the "queue", go to the counter and state what you want and exit out the other door.

• Like 3

99% ?

I dont know of anyone that can accurately predict weather nearly 2 months in advanced haha

well, I figured I'd leave myself an "out" for "somebody"

There isn't a "somebody". The current state of science simply does not permit accurate forecasting more than about one week out, give or take a couple of days.

Accuweather's alleged "45-day forecast" is pure fraud; see the data I collected in April 2012 when they first began offering a 25-day forecast: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/25285-accuweather-claims-25-day-forecast/ That ought to show you how impossible it is to forecast more than 5 to 7 days ahead. :)

• Like 2

99% ?

I dont know of anyone that can accurately predict weather nearly 2 months in advanced haha

There isn't a "somebody". The current state of science simply does not permit accurate forecasting more than about one week out, give or take a couple of days.

Accuweather's alleged "45-day forecast" is pure fraud; see the data I collected in April 2012 when they first began offering a 25-day forecast: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/25285-accuweather-claims-25-day-forecast/ That ought to show you how impossible it is to forecast more than 5 to 7 days ahead. :)

science, smience.  I'll bet there's some monk living in a remote cave that hasn't seen, let alone talked to another person in 40+ years that spends all days studying the stars, moon, tides and gravitational fields that knows exactly what the weather is going to be for the next 30 years in all points of the Earth.  :)

• Like 3

Maybe we should just let Interpreter interpret the weather, he's usually right......usually.

I honestly am impressed that Don can rouse an enthusiast base with a photo of some dirt and sticks with words on them. He seriously knows what he is doing, and kudos too! Personally i see it nothing more than a possible new flower bed, or sign area for a certain 2017 attraction?

• Like 3

99% ?

science, smience.  I'll bet there's some monk living in a remote cave that hasn't seen, let alone talked to another person in 40+ years that spends all days studying the stars, moon, tides and gravitational fields that knows exactly what the weather is going to be for the next 30 years in all points of the Earth.  :)

Another bogus weather forecasting tool is the Farmers Almanac. I remember them specifically in July of 2015 forecasting a Tropical Storm for the Florida region that never materialized when we were their. They also predicted a hurricane for Texas in September and a Hurricane for Florida in late September which both never happened.

I am thinking about going to Opening Day this year with some friends like I did last year. I hope it is as nice as it was last year, 75 degrees and sunny!

• Like 2

I feel that I need to drag out my old man knowledge of meteorology:

Weather prediction is a science and an art at the same time. Predictions are made using a scientific formula that uses a bunch of current data (think temps in and around the area, barometric pressure, wind, humidity, etc). Depending on the meteorologists, some have created their own formulas, some modify others, and some buy formulas. These formulas are all out into the computer systems that help crunch the data. These formulas then create multiple models based on differing degrees of predictability. The chief meteorologist and/or the others will look at the data and models and pick the one that fits the area the most. (Some models may say yes it's 90 now but there's a 5% chance of 15 inches of snow in 3 days).

The models all include weather patterns and high low pressure systems. The more data points the more likely they can predict out and the closer you are predicting for the higher the percentage of being right. Realistically, 1 day our you are 85-95, 3-5 days you are sitting at 50-60, 5-8 days your sitting at 25-40%, 8 days or more it's about 10% accurate. Those numbers can change slightly with a bunch of data (think if you take 100 data points you increase your predictability by .5%. )

Most weather prediction software and models can predict out years and they are comical to look at. Because they predict/model weather on a continent basis they can show high/low pressure formations switching polar blasts changing directions, permanent cold spots settling over Mexico, etc.

The problem is that there is a lot of science involved and people don't understand all of the variables that influence weather. The easiest way to think of this is imagine driving down 275 shooting an arrow at a car that's in front of you. The closer the car (day) the easier it is to hit. But if the car changes lanes, hits traffic, has a cross wind, etc it becomes difficult.

So yes meteorologists can be wrong but it's difficult to be accurate when literally you are taking in every major variable of all of space and time to predict what may happen in a day or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Just think, when I was a lad, weather prognostication was done largely sans computer. It was notoriously inaccurate.

Now, most forecasts are fairly accurate. The public largely doesn't understand or get it. Even some forecasters think that when NWS says 40 percent chance of precipitation that means 40 percent of the area will get it. Then many know not the difference between a watch and a warning.

The Scientific Forecast Discussion can teach much. Here's the one for DC:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=LWX&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

• Like 7

Just looked at webcam. New building wall structure is going up directly across from the arcade under the helix. Looks like a new building might be going in now.

Edit: but why start construction on a wall without a poured foundation?

I'm sure I don't know what they're doing, but seeing as the new funnel cake stand is going right next to where the smoking section under Diamondback was...could they just be clearing out a spot for smokers to sit?  Not very exciting to some, but you don't want the smokers right by the new food stand either.

• Like 3

Was it actually confirmed that the soccer game and basketball game we're going into the old funnel cake location? Surely they are not going in under the helix... Wouldn't be safe without Lots of netting to protect the coaster from stray balls and the folks below from stray objects.

Was it actually confirmed that the soccer game and basketball game we're going into the old funnel cake location? Surely they are not going in under the helix... Wouldn't be safe without Lots of netting to protect the coaster from stray balls and the folks below from stray objects.

Don't call me Surely.

• Like 6

Backlot's  red train is back on track

The white train is as well!

The tweet that announced it said just in Rivertown. I'm assuming it's going in the old funnel cake building location based on congestion. The old basketball game is gone. While there is a good space there, it's not what I perceive as deep enough to support kicking a soccer ball. Plus with guests walking literally right in front of that area, it may be harder to deal with there. The Funnel Cake Stand spot is a little further back off the path and the area it's opened up seems to be deep enough to support the "field" and an area for spectators. 

But it's pure speculation on my part.

• Like 2