Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

So, I ask platinum passholders who have season long dining-is this slow speed of service/poor caring evident in other parks in the chain, or is it Kings Island specific?  It seems strange that they do not appear to do much to correct it, especially since it seems to be the biggest complaint on the list.  (At least from my perspective.)

For reference:  Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom-minimal wait times.  Dollywood-very long lines, but having only been twice, and during the Christmas event, not a fair sampling.  And the employees were trying to do the best they could, and seemed concerned.  Unlike the 25 minute wait at Skyline in the area formerly known as Coney Mall where there were only 3 in front of me and the workers were leaning on their elbows making orders. ;)

• Like 2

I'll be honest having a little guy the new plan makes sense. He gets hungry and hot so it's cool to not have to trek to the car but...

Good golly the employees are terrible. I'm sorry if one of them is on this board but the food service is straight up terrible (except reds hall of fame and chick Fil a and supposedly Panda, I never ate there yet).

The kids are lazy and unmotivated. This year ill make sure to get names and complain. Last year I remember that one of the employees got off the bus and didn't even look at walked right I front of the cars and flipped off the car that almost hit her (again she walked out in front of the car).

Man it makes me upset thinking about how terrible those employees are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I ate at Panda Express a few times last year, and it was mostly a good experience, besides the long wait times.  However, on the last day of the season, an employee was so busy on his phone that he almost dropped a load coming out of the wok to the serving pan.  That is not multi-tasking, that is being inattentive.  Not to mention the thoughts of the phone and how many germs reside on it...

• Like 4

I get the fact that most workers do not want to be in food service, and have other opportunities, and there is only a certain pool to select from.  But my goodness, take the best and make them examples and have others aspire to be like them.  Motivate with raises or awards for compliments.  Dismiss the elbow leaners.  Or do something simple like add a cashier and open up a side for drinks only---or add drink stations (they beat me to that!)

• Like 2

One need not have a platinum pass dining plan to observe food service in other Cedar Fair parks, but since you limited your inquiry to those who do...

...perplexed Terp

Sorry, The Interpreter.  Did not intend to leave you or others out who do not have the dining plan.

Please share your experience.

And if anyone has any ideas as to why this seems to plague Kings Island, please chirp in.

It is no different at Kings Dominion or Dorney. Conscious decisions to understaff to cut costs since you have a captive customer base who has either already paid or largely won't waste time leaving the park. Kings Dominion food service makes Kings Island's look like a paragon of efficiency. And KD "food." Sigh.

• Like 4

I was always taught to do your job, and do it well.  Even if you didn't like that job.  Some day it could get you somewhere better, and you will look back and appreciate your accomplishments.  A majority of kids today are lazy, and expect everything to be handed to them, or given the best job right away.

OK, I'll get of my soapbox.

***But there are some exceptional kids that strive to be the best and work hard; because they have great parents instilling that in them.  Right LoraX?  :)

• Like 11

You page low rates you get low quality. I have a friend who works in another department who stated how poorly some of the employees are that he is supposed to manage. But he says he has no power to reward or punish he's just more reliable than the rest

• Like 3

I was always taught to do your job, and do it well. Even if you didn't like that job. Some day it could get you somewhere better, and you will look back and appreciate your accomplishments. A majority of kids today are lazy, and expect everything to be handed to them, or given the best job right away.

OK, I'll get of my soapbox.

***But there are some exceptional kids that strive to be the best and work hard; because they have great parents instilling that in them. Right LoraX? :)

Thank you for that last point. Yes we all KNOW that not all kids are poor workers, but it's nice to acknowledge the truth after expressing how you perceive things/ feel about the kids you've met.

Someone pointed earlier to boost employee morale. Wage increases arent the best thing to do in terms of team performance, or company budget. They need to feel like they are doing something important, that they've actually made a difference, that their performance was well appreciated. The ones that don't perform well will see others getting praise and may rise to reach that level. Wage increases may just make people jealous because you can't necessarily promise a lower employee a wage increase when they pick up their act.. also.. why should they recieve more money for finally doing what they should've done all along?

• Like 7

I think a really good argument could be made that rather than being overly critical of the young folks making our food (some criticism deserved, no doubt), the bulk of the issue is management of the food service at KI.  Who is in charge?  And how much money are they costing the park in lost sales?

• Like 4

Well, he ignored the question about RHOFG, but apparently wraps ARE off the plan.

"@maglizrd we have taken a look at improving line speed and we have identified the wraps as an opportunity, we are looking at replacements."

https://twitter.com/kichefnate/status/707753597048635392

Actually that sounds like wraps may be gone entirely, dunno. Line speed was never the problem, though. The backup invariably was at the cashier.

• Like 3

Depends on the restaurant haha (about line or cashier speed)

And look i get not wanting to hurt the youth of America by being overly critical but criticism is a way of life. If they can't hack it at 16 and take criticism about poor work habits, hygiene, attitudes, or engagement when can we criticize them? At 18 when they are in college? 22 during their career? 30 when they have kids?

If you have a job you have responsibilities. Who cares if you hate your job, but if you want nice things you work for them. And working with the public entails a certain amount of criticism. Unrelated, sort of, I had a waitress friend state she hates getting refills for people and says she's not there to fill their every need. If you are a waitress/waiter or in the food industry your job is to make other people happy with their food.

Now not all kids are terrible workers but for some reason the lowest seem to present themselves mostly in the food part of the park (again not RHOFG, CFA, or Panda).

Where is management? That's a good question.

Thanks to this recent topic i have restructured what I want from the park.

My dream list for KI:

Shaded areas to relax on hot days

Smoking areas no located in middle of midways (see Coney Mall, Rivertown(?))

Competent and fully staffed food and drink locations

Emptied trash cans

Parking lines in the parking lot

Craters in parking lot filled

Trams

More shows/entertainment maybe a parade

• Like 7

Wanted to clarify:  The reason Chick-Fil-A and Panda are so quick is probably because they are staffed by CFA and Panda themselves.  They have their own name tags, that is, the ones not adorned with the Kings Island logo in either a white, blue, or yellow strip of plastic.  All other food service locations in the park are staffed by Kings Island's food department.  The only food service restaurant that KI seems to be operating correctly is RHoF Grille.  I concur with the other's that KI needs to fix this issue.

Howwweevvveerrrr I really really really want them to keep the wraps.  I know they probably weren't the most popular option.  And I definitely know it took employees forever to make them, but it really is a great healthy option closest to the front entrance of the park.  #SaveTheWraps2016

• Like 3

I will be really bummed if wraps are gone. We got one almost every trip. Those things were great! Unfortunately, I didn't find out about them until a couple months into the season. #teamsavethewraps

• Like 4

Its sad state of affairs when complaining about food service , and KI trying to do the best job they can to keep staffing going throughout the entire season. I know they are trying to make it a best day ever experience for everyone. Kids just cannot grasp the concept of being more and doing more. :( I have great hope for 2016 season ! viva Kings Island!

• Like 5

Apologies for not starting the countdown lately. My schedule has been so hectic lately I really have had no time to do it. I will try to finish the countdown every day now that we're almost a month away!

Now then... back to the countdown.

Gosh, it sure is getting warmer outside! That can only mean one thing... it's almost Spring! Wait a minute... it also means that we're 36 days away from Opening Day at Kings Island!! It'll be here before you know it!

45523236cfdc6702ff48067ef7a7b5a2.jpg

Edit made by me

Original pic: https://instagram.com/p/BCbs-jjuOCx/

• Like 11