Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I'm ready for 2016

Edit- simultaneous! Horray!

--

And there lies the answers for 2016

<Train crossing pic>

Good catch; looks like it's official! #traincrossing2016 lol

In all seriousness, the storm warning could be just a "hey, we are certifiable ready for storms", or mean they are ready to take on Kentucky Kingdom's Storms of Thunder and Lightning. This could warrant a new KI addition similar to the 1999/2000 new millennium additions.

...or it could be nothing... ;)

• Like 7

Cedar Point was first certified StormReady in 2012, as one of the first commercial sites to do so. Other Cedar Fair parks have followed suit; this may be the first year for Kings Island.

I'm fairly certain that jdawg was being sarcastic.

• Like 6

Looking through old posts here, it appears Cedar Point was the first park in the chain (as well as the first amusement park period, according to a WKYC article at the time) to be certified StormReady. I thought KI was certified a few years ago as well but maybe we're all wrong about that.

• Like 6

How do they do it over at the Soak City bypass?  Security guard or ride op?

Security, IIRC. However, that is a four-way crossing, with park guests crossing both ways on foot on a public path while park vehicles cross on backstage roads. This creates a slightly more complicated procedure where, after the trains have passed, park guests will continue to be held while waiting vehicles are waved through, and only then are the gates for the guests lifted.

The crossing on the WWC entrance won't involve roadways, just a mostly one-way foot crossing (mostly because you will occasionally have guests chicken out, or a breakdown/weather shutdown causing people to leave the line), so it will be much easier to manage, and so I would guess that it will be handled by rides associates, most likely part of the KI&MVRR crew given the proximity to the Rivertown station (and the likelihood of incorporating the gate closure into normal dispatch procedures).

As for StormReady, this is the first I've heard of KI getting that certification, so I do believe it is the first year for it.

Just thought of something, what if Cedar Fair is relocating the railroad crossings at Shoot The Rapids to KI? Just a thought

It would not surprise me if some of the materials (signage, gates, etc.) from STR's crossing were sent down here and reused on WWC.

• Like 8

How do they do it over at the Soak City bypass? Security guard or ride op?

Security, IIRC. However, that is a four-way crossing, with park guests crossing both ways on foot on a public path while park vehicles cross on backstage roads. This creates a slightly more complicated procedure where, after the trains have passed, park guests will continue to be held while waiting vehicles are waved through, and only then are the gates for the guests lifted.

The crossing on the WWC entrance won't involve roadways, just a mostly one-way foot crossing (mostly because you will occasionally have guests chicken out, or a breakdown/weather shutdown causing people to leave the line), so it will be much easier to manage, and so I would guess that it will be handled by rides associates, most likely part of the KI&MVRR crew given the proximity to the Rivertown station (and the likelihood of incorporating the gate closure into normal dispatch procedures).

As for StormReady, this is the first I've heard of KI getting that certification, so I do believe it is the first year for it.

Just thought of something, what if Cedar Fair is relocating the railroad crossings at Shoot The Rapids to KI? Just a thought

It would not surprise me if some of the materials (signage, gates, etc.) from STR's crossing were sent down here and reused on WWC.

I've seen them get the "StormReady" stuff, but I don't think I've seen it posted on social media for a few years
  • Like 3

Cedar Point got a coaster the year after certification. If this is indeed the first year for KI, jdawg could be on to something. :)

I am screenshotting my post so that when Kings Island does in fact announce a coaster this year (and it is thunderstorm themed), I'll repost it here and you all can bow down to me.

#TheStormIsComing #KI2017

• Like 5