Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I wish I could watch a POV of Diamondback and wear the Oculus Rift thats so realisitc it made this guy think he was actually falling!

That would be pretty cool and uber weird at the same time! :)

Observations and thoughts for today. Snipped from Kings Island's Diamondback Webcam, found here:https://www.visitkingsisland.com/online-fun/webcams-7315_34349

DB%20OBSERVATIONS_zpszfzi8mjs.jpg

If my handwriting is illegible to you guys I will tell you what I am saying.

THE RED AREA BY DB

This area I could see them putting a small midway type area with a couple of flat rides. Other Red thing is pointing at a possible new path someone was talking about earlier.

Orange Thing

Pointing to the fact that Diamondback is now testing, with its Splash Pool now full!  :) 

Yellow Thing

Pointing to the fact that the new Funnel Cake place is now nearly complete!!

Green Area by WWC

Land Clearing is continuing in the area that used to have the old WWC path. The old Funnel Cake building and some paths near the Train station look to be cleared out. New WWC path is looking like it is being installed. This area could be the possible Project 2017 area!

I hope everyone has an absolutely great and fantastic day!

• Like 9

But what I wonder, if a dark ride is to come.. where is the entrance going to be? With WWC now closer to the old Crypt entrance.. It feels like an illogical choice for an entrance in a new ride now in terms of crowd flow. Do we remember how much freaking space TR:TR originally had? And that was pretty necessary when it was a good ride still. See the utilized path space in front of all the major coasters.

Diamondback is testing today... but where is train three?

Another thing to note, Are we getting some new brick paving, or some concrete at the Rivertown Potato Cake section? (The Potato Works and Funnel Cake patio is what I mean if you didn't get that fun little tape on the location name.)

• Like 3

Hopefully its third train makes an appearance soon.  Hopefully they don`t do what they do with the third Adventure Express train (they haven`t ran three trains on AE recently, because the third train didn`t increase capacity much more than when there are two trains).  They rehab the third train during the regular season, and then when the off season hits, they only have to rehab one of the two trains over the winter, as they already rebuilt one during the regular season.

There was a tweet or Facebook post by the park the other day saying "Work being done by the entrance and exit of the train station" and that was exactly what I thought about.  Technically, they are called pavers.

• Like 3

No question is a dumb question! :) Someone earlier pointed out they were building a new path from the slaughterhouse to Diamondbacks hammerhead turn. The new WWC path goes from near Diamondbacks first drop, crosses the train tracks and I presume joins the pathway somewhere in the woods.

• Like 2

Diamondback is testing today... but where is train three?

Another thing to note, Are we getting some new brick paving, or some concrete at the Rivertown Potato Cake section? (The Potato Works and Funnel Cake patio is what I mean if you didn't get that fun little tape on the location name.)

Diamondback has simple looking trains, but is one of the complicated ones to rebuild. It'll be there.....there are still 2 weeks until it's needed to be there for opening weekend. It doesn't take all that long for a train to be commissioned for use once past it's opening season.

Hopefully its third train makes an appearance soon.  Hopefully they don`t do what they do with the third Adventure Express train (they haven`t ran three trains on AE recently, because the third train didn`t increase capacity much more than when there are two trains).  They rehab the third train during the regular season, and then when the off season hits, they only have to rehab one of the two trains over the winter, as they already rebuilt one during the regular season.

There was a tweet or Facebook post by the park the other day saying "Work being done by the entrance and exit of the train station" and that was exactly what I thought about.  Technically, they are called pavers.

I highly doubt that they will use the 3rd train as a rehab during the season. Diamondback is a people eater and utilizes all 3 trains well, no matter how many enthusiasts claim it stacks, ruins capacity, etc. The general public doesn't see that or care that it "stacks" and often hasn't. It really depends on the crew each day. The numbers for RPH are generally higher than many think.

No question is a dumb question! :) Someone earlier pointed out they were building a new path from the slaughterhouse to Diamondbacks hammerhead turn. The new WWC path goes from near Diamondbacks first drop, crosses the train tracks and I presume joins the pathway somewhere in the woods.

I highly doubt there will be a path from Slaughterhouse to Diamondback's Hammerhead turn to the midway by the train. 

Directly under the hammerhead there is a drop off....it's not as flat as some may assume. I'll never forget during training my supervisors took us out there and told us to make sure we didn't get too far out from under the track, especially at night be cause the land becomes incredibly steep. When I got to the point where I was close enough to be safe, sure enough, it was steep.  

We've also got to look at the area from the hammerhead to the train area. It's definitely not flat and is used for access roads. There are several lock out areas around there for low zones. Unless they would smooth out that land, place bigger fences to prevent folks from getting close to the lockout areas, it's not viable.

• Like 4

I was talking about a new access road/path that would not go all the way over to the train to be used for other purposes. Not a new midway. :)

During haunt last year you would cross over the railroad track then would lead into the woods, but it felt like a temporary queue (like mainly used for haunt)
  • Like 2

The Fast Lane and Fast Lane Plus lineups have been updated for the 2016 season and they are sure to make a splash!

The FL lineup seems consistent with last year while FL+ has Banshee, Firehawk, FoF, Beast, AND Soak City attractions!

Yes, you are reading that correctly. Tropical Plunge, Rendezvous Run, Zoom Flume, and Thunder Falls all are now on FL+.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/fast-lane-32615_32702 

• Like 4

Interesting, I believe both Dorney and Carowinds has done this as well with some of their slides. Curious to see how this'll work for Sidew- er, Thunder Falls since there are 2 slides; will one side be FL and one side regular line? And how will getting the tubes at the slides exit work now? I guess we'll find out when Soak City opens up.

• Like 3

The Fast Lane and Fast Lane Plus lineups have been updated for the 2016 season and they are sure to make a splash!

The FL lineup seems consistent with last year while FL+ has Banshee, Firehawk, FoF, Beast, AND Soak City attractions!

Yes, you are reading that correctly. Tropical Plunge, Rendezvous Run, Zoom Flume, and Thunder Falls all are now on FL+.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/fast-lane-32615_32702 

Your link has an extra space at the end (which seems to be happening a lot here lately). Here's a working link: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/fast-lane-32615_32702

• Like 3

I still think they should have taken my suggestion from several years ago and made Soak City's line-skipping pass a separate product called Splash Lane. :P

jcgoble3, who may or may not be serious (after all, today is... [signal lost])

• Like 8