Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

^Could be worse.

When I went to KD Friday I had to take my belt off to get past the wand. Asked me if I had one on before he even run the wand over me. Poor guy seemed really aggravated over it, said he got yelled at for not doing it with prior customers. Did not have to do it a Carowinds, though.

I hope that's the only time I have to do it.

• Like 1

Even more so with Ohio weather.....

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Forecasting the afternoon from 11:30 is hard enough.

Be that as it may. It will still give a far better guess than what the average folk can do. It still frames a good guess... it's still just projected weather patterns.

Actually, according to a study done by the American Meteorological Society in the late 90s, forecasts that far in advance are no more accurate than what the lay-person can do.  At that point, it is just as accurate as flipping a coin.  It turns out the weather is very...unpredictable.

• Like 4

Per Greg Scheid's Twitter account, @KIGMGREG.

CfNH_eDWEAAEheS.jpg

Looking good! Less than two weeks now until the second most important Opening Day in Cincinnati!

Has it been announced how many passholder lanes there will be and if these (I would think) would be automated?

Just had a thought.....

I'm wondering if the island (where the tree and bushes have been planted) will feature The Peanuts Gang in shrubbery form. 

That'd be a great touch!

I agree, plus I find it possible considering Cedar Point has the same thing.

• Like 1

CfNH_eDWEAAEheS.jpg

Looking good! Less than two weeks now until the second most important Opening Day in Cincinnati!

Has it been announced how many passholder lanes there will be and if these (I would think) would be automated?

Just had a thought.....

I'm wondering if the island (where the tree and bushes have been planted) will feature The Peanuts Gang in shrubbery form. 

That'd be a great touch!

So did King's Dominion

Be that as.... patterns.

Actually, according to a study done by the American Meteorological Society in the late 90s, forecasts that far in advance are no more accurate than what the lay-person can do. At that point, it is just as accurate as flipping a coin. It turns out the weather is very...unpredictable.

I was speaking out of assumption. If that study is accurate still, and maybe predicting the chaos has gotten slightly better, then ai predict clear skies, with no rain! Warm weather that is neither too hot, nor too cold.

• Like 2

Be that as.... patterns.

Actually, according to a study done by the American Meteorological Society in the late 90s, forecasts that far in advance are no more accurate than what the lay-person can do. At that point, it is just as accurate as flipping a coin. It turns out the weather is very...unpredictable.

I was speaking out of assumption. If that study is accurate still, and maybe predicting the chaos has gotten slightly better, then ai predict clear skies, with no rain! Warm weather that is neither too hot, nor too cold.

There may just be a moment or two when that occurs.  If you don't like the weather that morning, wait 10 minutes, it's Ohio.

Since the opening days in the past several years have been pretty good as I recall...I'll take a stab in the dark here.  IT'S GONNA RAIN!  :)

CfNH_eDWEAAEheS.jpg

Just had a thought.....

That'd be a great touch!

So did King's Dominion

If it does light up, that's going to look absolutely amazing!!!  I'm very resistant to change and was not exactly all for ripping out the old tolls and building new, but I have to admit, this looks SHARP!!

• Like 5

I've noticed that forecasting the weather this far in advance is mostly unpredictable except for the temperature. It's usually things like precipitation and cloudiness that change a lot. But that 68 degrees I can imagine staying for the next week and a half. So that's good news to me.

• Like 2

Have they repaved the parking lot at all?  Last time I drove by, it didn't appear so, and I know it can't be done in the winter, so it would have to be fairly recently, but now would have been a great time to take care of that.  I don't know how long a project like that would take, and how easily it could be done in sections later in the summer when things warm up and work like that is easier to perform, but the parking lot is in sore need of some repaving.  Seems to be poor form to build a brand new entry way, then offer guest the bumpiest ride of the day as they maneuver to their parking space.

^Could be worse.

When I went to KD Friday I had to take my belt off to get past the wand. Asked me if I had one on before he even run the wand over me. Poor guy seemed really aggravated over it, said he got yelled at for not doing it with prior customers. Did not have to do it a Carowinds, though.

I hope that's the only time I have to do it.

Thank God that KD still has security checks....I worry immensely about front gate security at Kings Island ever since the 2012 removal of the metal detectors

• Like 3

Going back to my weather statements I seem to make on here every so often.

Weather prediction is based on modes created by mathematical formulas that incorporate a bunch of data points (wind, temp, direction, humidity, etc). Because it's a formula and multiple models it spits out different outcomes. Weather people pick one and use that mode. It's most accurate no more than 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I totally understand them detectors, 100%

I do not see why taking your belt of makes any difference, at all.

Most belts have these metal things called buckles.

I have never gone through security in any high security area without being asked to remove my belt (and dress shoes). And I'm probably in those areas far more often than most.

• Like 5

I have never gone through security in any high security area without being asked to remove my belt (and dress shoes). And I'm probably in those areas far more often than most.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't imagine them NOT asking you to take your belt off, otherwise it kind of defeats the detector part.
  • Like 4

Then why do it at one park and not the other?

I mean I can see an airport, Pentagon, white house, etc, etc. Yea, I do believe safety is VERY important, always have. We're not even talking walk through detectors, they use wands, which go off whenever i runs over anything with metal in it. So it is kinda obvious when they wave the wand over it.

But it's a belt. A belt on a guy going into an amusement park. And you can see it's just a belt. I've never seen a belt hurt anyone unless you take it off and use it as a weapon. Which I would never do anyway. Them detectors would be useless for that.

I was never even mad that I had to do it.  I mean I could see where someone would be, not everyone is as laid back as I am. 

And yes Terp, I know most buckles are made of metal. :D

• Like 1

The day I have to take my belt off to get into Kings Island, is probably the day I find somewhere else to spend my money.  Absurd!  And yes, I'll take my chances, thanks.

Then why do it at one park and not the other?

I mean I can see an airport, Pentagon, white house, etc, etc. Yea, I do believe safety is VERY important, always have. We're not even talking walk through detectors, they use wands, which go off whenever i runs over anything with metal in it. So it is kinda obvious when they wave the wand over it.

But it's a belt. A belt on a guy going into an amusement park. And you can see it's just a belt. I've never seen a belt hurt anyone unless you take it off and use it as a weapon. Which I would never do anyway. Them detectors would be useless for that.

I was never even mad that I had to do it.  I mean I could see where someone would be, not everyone is as laid back as I am. 

And yes Terp, I know most buckles are made of metal. :D

Why at one park and not another? Visit a nice suburban park like Kings Island, then take a trip to Kennywood or Six Flags America. Long and short is that some parks really should screen their guests more intensely. Maybe that's not politically correct, but c'est la vie.

The belt isn't removed because it could be a weapon. It's removed to ensure that it's not being used as a scapegoat for anything else with metal pieces.

*scanner goes off* 

"Oh, that's just my belt." *flashes belt*

"Oh, alright. C'mon in, then!" 

Notice that you take the belt off, then can put it back on once you've passed through security. They're not confiscating it; they're making sure that once the belt is off, you don't set off the scanner. 

• Like 8

There was a day not too long ago, you did. 

You also may not want to visit on Memorial Day/4th of July and/or anytime during Haunt.

Been to Haunt, 4th of July, but not Memorial Day.  Never once have I seen a body scanner at the park.  Ever.  I missed some years in the 2000's...after 9/11, etc, but the past 3-4 years I've been going many times a year and they just scan my pass and let me in.  

12523837_10209663494610166_7740390842147

Source: Kings Island Instagram

Guests are going to get great views of Diamondback as they enter the queue for White Water Canyon! 

I like the old entrance a lot more. It had that "old" Rivertown feel still, but I guess this fits in with "new" Rivertown. That turn of the century settlement along the Ohio river that had that giant steel roller coaster towering over everything. I'm sure once it turns back into the woods towards the ride it'll feel the same again, but not a fan of the new entry point.

Hopefully the move is for a good reason.

• Like 1

If you imagine hard enough, Diamondback's supports are almost like trees with no branches or leaves!

I'll be watching this carefully. You all know I've said for years that the most unfortunate thing about Swan Lake becoming Diamondback's splashdown was the short-sighted planting behind it. IF the park had taken care to re-plant dozens of trees, we'd already be seeing the results as they grew in and around the lake. Even now, just a handful of years later, they'd be filling in and giving us a beautiful forested lake back. Instead, they planted a few dogwoods, which means that in 30 years, that concrete splashdown with a well-manicured lawn around it will look... well... almost exactly how it looks right now.

At least based on this (to be fair) very early photograph, it looks as if even less care has gone into the landscaping of this new path, which is really pretty abysmal. I realize Cedar Fair isn't Disney or Universal and we can't expect them to transplant full-grown trees just for the sake of beautifying, but c'mon. At least give us long-term hope. Allow us to say, "Well, sure, it's pretty weak now, but just wait! This is a long game but it'll all be worth it and when my kids are here one day, the place will be a towering forest again." Instead...

• Like 4