Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Maybe those raising arms will only operate when the gate is being used as a scan only gate... Assuming the scan only gates can be randomly changed...And that the other gates will remain up during regular hours. I don't believe I've been to any other amusement park with a raising arm gate system. To me they could slow down the processIng of guests. Also gates malfunction. That could be a mess in the making.

• Like 3

^ That's what I thought when I first looked at those. I was like "Oh if those don't work..." But I believe there is probably the option to raise them and keep them raised, and if they don't work an associate can lift it up. Anyone know how hard it is to lift one of those?

• Like 1

^ That's what I thought when I first looked at those. I was like "Oh if those don't work..." But I believe there is probably the option to raise them and keep them raised, and if they don't work an associate can lift it up. Anyone know how hard it is to lift one of those?

Not very.  I'm not going to incriminate myself, but I know quite a few people down at UC who would lift the gate up for others to drive under.

• Like 2

How should somebody approach the park if they are coming from the south? The road isnt wide and I feel like it will get backed up a lot. I am visiting my old friends in West Chester and I forget the area.

Since it's a 13 lane toll, I highly doubt there would be issues unless they're like Walmart and only have 2 lanes open.

• Like 7

They put a counter weight on the arm so that the motor has to do less work to lift the arm.  Which also makes it easy to manually lift the arm when needed.

I go by the park every day. It looks like it's going to be easy to find your way there. If you're used to coming from Western Row, just go about another 4,000' and make a right-hand turn at the beautifully-aesthetic intersection that leads right to the entrance plaza (be sure the park is open, and follow all posted traffic signs and drive safely).

• Like 7

I go by the park every day. It looks like it's going to be easy to find your way there. If you're used to coming from Western Row, just go about another 4,000' and make a right-hand turn at the beautifully-aesthetic intersection that leads right to the entrance plaza (be sure the park is open, and follow all posted traffic signs and drive safely).

On top of this. Stay in the right lane. This lane turns into the entrance on it's own. :D

• Like 3

How should somebody approach the park if they are coming from the south? The road isnt wide and I feel like it will get backed up a lot. I am visiting my old friends in West Chester and I forget the area.

Since it's a 13 lane toll, I highly doubt there would be issues unless they're like Walmart and only have 2 lanes open.

Had to chuckle. I was picturing some senior in a blue vest leaning on a grocery cart saying "Welcome to Kings Island" every time a gate raises... TB, got a Photoshop for that? Lol!

• Like 4

I meant the actual road that Kings Island sits on isnt wide. I recall it only being 2-3 lanes.

Oh I see what you mean

Due to construction there is only 1 lane. But as It stands, and looks from the nearmap satelite images. There will be four lanes up to the right hand bend in the road (This is if you're going north bound) and the right most lane will end, turning it into three lanes.

The Entrance to the park will have two lanes. The right most lane must turn right into the entrance, while the second lane has the option of turning right or continuing straight.

After that it is two lanes down KI-Drive until it ends.

• Like 3

Taken about 15 minutes ago (thanks to Rivers Crossing for giving me permission to take pictures from their property).  I love this new entrance/exit that leads to the new plaza, which is out-of-view (the entrance road  (which is on the right side of the sign shown here)  appears to curve to the right/south, appears to go behind the old cemetery and meet the plaza at the edge of the parking lot).

KI2.jpg

Here's a closer look:

KI3.jpg

It appears that there has been some road-widening, and crews appear to be working diligently to prepare for Saturday:

PassengerWindow.JPG

• Like 15

From what I understand, the new entrance sign is between the left turn lanes at the light for those coming in from the north and the direct right turn lanes for those coming in from the south.  That way everyone will pass it as they enter the park.

• Like 2

Self-scan also seems like a surefire way of avoiding situations in those hours later in the day when there are no parking attendants at the booths, and people are driving straight through without paying for parking...

TRFTW, observing.

My understanding was that the park had an unwritten rule that after a certain hour, parking was free, hence why they turned all the lights green without staffing any lanes. Late in the evening, the vast majority of people entering the park are going to be season pass holders anyway, so at some point, they lose money with the cost of paying employees to staff the tolls not being offset by revenues.

• Like 1