Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Hey all, I went to the park yesterday for quite a bit of time and had a blast; here is some highlights/impressions from the day:

-On the average, lines were not that terrible for a Saturday

-Invertigo valleyed in the station while I was in line... I got out quick!

-Diamondback was... fun! (and I got a good view of the Banshee Brew festivities!)

-I did ride RFYLCB and it was enjoyable, so I'll miss it a bit if the rumors of its demise are true

-I rode Shake, Rattle and Roll for the first time since the re-paint and it was fun

-Delirium may be my new favorite flat... Drop Tower is awesome, but Delirium just feels great, especially on a hot summer day

-WindSeeker is magical at night, and Adventure Express is crazy awesome at night as well

-I rode the train and saw some branches near the fort; I also saw wood near the train's first bend out of the station.

-Rode Beast with a first timer who loved it!

-Met up with some KICers briefly at the end of the day, which was fun.

All in all, it was a good day! :D

• Like 11

It was nice seeing you, even if it was briefly! :) ^

I had a great time at the park yesterday. It was a great time. Was with Ohiocolts for about 1/2 the day and we met some KICers working in the park and others that were in the park in the last hour of operating.

I guess I will put my list of things I noticed yesterday.

- Banshee is a great ride, every time I ride it, the more and more I love it. 

- I could try and fit on the regular seats in Banshee, but from what the test seat attendant said, "It depends how comfortable you want to be". I only rode in the big boy seats, but when the park is dead, I will wait for the front seat and see what happens.

- The clearing for 2K17 is getting interesting. The Woodchipper was in, The Bobcat made tracks from the WWC turntable all the way over to where the train turns..

- Reriding the Train is fun!

- Saw at least 5 people working in the area for 2017.

- Diamondback, I still cannot fit in, and I did not even try, just tried the test seat. 

- The only person I was expecting to see from KIC was Ohiocolts, I did not expect to see about 5 others.

- Food lines are still extraordinate....

- WindSeeker at night is awesome. 

- Adventure Express the first time, I was assigned to the last row of car 3. It was WAY more tighter than the 1st row, and yet even though it didnt look like it, I fit!

- Fireworks from the Eiffel Tower is AMAZING!

• Like 9

From the park, take I-71 south to Exit 7, Norwood Lateral. Head west until the Lateral ends and then south on I-75 towards Downtown.

Once on I-75 take Exit 4, I-74 West. Take I-74 to Exit 17, Montana Avenue.

Keep going straight through the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp. Putz's is on the left.

• Like 5

From the park, take I-71 south to Exit 7, Norwood Lateral. Head west until the Lateral ends and then south on I-75.

Once on I-75 take Exit 4, I-74 West. Take I-74 to Exit 17, Montana Avenue.

Keep going straight through the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp. Putz's is on the left.

Or you could just take I-71 to Ronald Reagan to Colerain Ave. that leads all the way down to where West Fork starts, turn right and it will be about a mile down the road from there! Or you could instead turn right on Galbraith from Colerain, turn left onto Blue Rock Road and then take Cheviot Road(Cheviot from Galbraith to the Blue Rock merging is closed) all the way down to where it merges with North Bend near Kroger, continue straight,  and then turn left onto West Fork and it is just a short drive!

(I know this side of town very well!)

I rode Banshee yesterday and I did not hear the dramatic 300 music on the lift hill.

• Like 4

I know there are a couple of different ways to get there. My aunt lives over off of Blue Rock.

Traffic, depending on what route you take, could be a nightmare. I-71 near Kenwood is a good example of this.

Not sure if they're still working on I-75 around that area. It's been quite some time since I've been over that direction.

• Like 2

Yeah, I would instead take Ronald Reagan Highway instead of going down to the Norwood Lateral and the horrible mess of a highway they call I-75 during Rush Hour. And I just forgot! Ronald Reagan is the only viable option. Norwood Laterals Southbound ramp to I-75 is closed for another week and a half. The detour is instead either exiting off at Paddock and reentering I-75 S at the exit north of the LAteral. or taking Ronald Reagan to the West Side

• Like 5

That sounds like a pretty good little side trip I might do sometime when I visit the park.  That's been one of my favorite things I've done over the years is to explore the area(s) around Kings Island. 

• Like 4

I know the roads around Cincinnati well, so I just use my mind!(For my family obviously, since I cannot drive by myself legally yet!)

Otherwise I just use my iPhone, Google Maps, NOT Maps...

Though my cousin did leave us his TomTom in the 1998 Honda Civic, might want to use that in the future!

• Like 4

Last year when I went to Myrtle Beach, I used my TomTom.

Leaving from Eastgate, it had me take I-75 down to Knoxville, east on I-40 to Asheville, NC, I-26 to Columbia, I-20 there from there to Myrtle Beach.

Seemed like forever to get down there. Return trip I took I-74 to I-77 up to Charleston, I-64 west from there and crossed over into Ohio at Aberdeen.

I love that drive. One of the most beautiful in the world.

• Like 6

Yep, I can't complain about my TomTom either.

He may lead me in circles from time to time, as he did on one trip to Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, and he get's quite persistent and angry when I don't listen to him, he's always got me to where I need to go.

• Like 3

We also used the funnel cake coupon on the first Sunday the park was open. We used it in the afternoon so there were no issues with time constraints, but they definitely need better signage. We got strawberries and whip cream. On the pricing sign it just says "funnel cake: x amount; funnel cake with toppings: x amount;" Upon getting to the register the cashier says that the whip cream counts as an extra topping. I forget how much the cost was, but the sign shouldn't have said ToppingS with one set cost. The cashier then proceeded to accidentally charge us for a refill on the season long cup. She said when they scan the barcode, the refills automatically come up as 75 cents, so they have to hit a button to make them free. Why on Earth would they have the free refill bottles come up as 75 cents, for any reason other than to make money off people not paying attention to the total?

• Like 6

Last year, I know the funnel cakes were one price regardless of how many different toppings you got. Well, one price plain, a second for everything you wanted on it other than ice cream, and a third for a "sundae" which was ice cream plus all the toppings you wanted.

That's how I was ultimately charged this year as well. You may want to visit guest services and see if you can be refunded a few beagle bucks.

• Like 5

I don't know if it's worth the hassle! I just don't understand why Kings Island has so many difficulties doing things consistently in regards to employee procedures.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I don't know if it's worth the hassle! I just don't understand why Kings Island has so many difficulties doing things consistently in regards to employee procedures.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Lack of training. I was at CP last weekend and we had an employee tell us she wasn't trained on Funpix at the Magnum photo booth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Reminds me of my first trip to Cedar Point way back in the day with my dad. We drove down the causeway thinking we could get a better view of the park only to be met by the parking toll booths. Luckily the employee heard our mistake and let us through free as long as we promised to exit afterwards. 

• Like 2

You'd think if she was driving by KI she'd be a local.

If she is a local you would think she has known about construction and changes on KI Drive.

I wouldn't think anyone from outta town would just "drive by Kings Island"

Sounds like a dummy mistake to me.

• Like 1

I think they should install overhead signs like on highways to make it clear from both directions how to get in.

They should also mark where exits are in this manner so drivers know:

a] not to go in them and

b] not to think people coming out of them at 11 in the morning are cutting in line.

• Like 2

Give it a few weeks and the traffic flow will calm down. Now after being at the park I think that south exit needs to be moved or removed. Maybe that's a long term plan when the rest of the road construction is finished.

Is it possible to exit down the employee exit now? Is that a possibility to turn that area into the south exit. So then we would have a nice north exit and south exit and a nice entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Reminds me of my first trip to Cedar Point way back in the day with my dad. We drove down the causeway thinking we could get a better view of the park only to be met by the parking toll booths. Luckily the employee heard our mistake and let us through free as long as we promised to exit afterwards.

I remember when Gatekeeper began its testing I drove up the causeway and I turned around at the booths by instruction. The park wasnt open but I was allowed to turn around. Strangely there was somebody working a toll booth and it was April I believe.
  • Like 2

Maybe the park is hinting that more nostalgia is coming back? One can wish...

Speaking of that, one of my biggest hopes for next year is a 45th anniversary restoration of Racer. New track work, new LED chaser lights running the whole course, and most importantly, restoring the original red white and blue paint job. Perhaps even new trains if the park is willing.

Again, wishful thinking. Been wanting it to happen for years.

I would honestly love to see that happen more than getting a giga.

• Like 4