Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

It is true. I feel bad for the ride op(s) who were stuck enforcing the policy change that allegedly happened about 4:00 yesterday. Apparently it is a corporate wide decision to have this policy in place, or so I was told repeatedly from the ride ops, a supervisor, area supervisor, full time manager, 3 people in guest services. I may have forgotten a person or two.

I am probably more upset in the manner in which this was handled. With it being an enthusiast event, they knew people would want to snap during the event because many snap throughout a normal day. I know people who specifically went to the event just to have ERT minus smaller children.

The park left it up to ride ops to enforce the change and did not have a supervisor handle people who would be upset. An area supervisor was hid in the shadows did not approach me until he knew I asked to speak to a full time supervisor. He allowed the ride ops to deal with people who they knew would be upset.

The announcement should have been made during dinner. The ride could have just not remained open for ERT because it is known why many enthusiasts would want to ride.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 7

What? I attended ERT at 9:30am on May 21st and rode Woodstock Gliders and even asked the ride op if I had successfully snapped.  She said I did and that yes, the ride was designed to be able to do that.

You're tellin me that a chain wide decision was made at 4:00pm that afternoon and it must have been enforced immediately?  Did someone get hurt or what?

• Like 6

I will say that there was some debate about this last night. Some people had been told it had to do with a concern about the tubs striking the center. I have also heard it is not chain wide and that it may only be in effect this weekend. Not even sure if the decision was from corporate or was made at the park level. It seems strange for this change to occur in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend if it is from corporate.

If it is true that it is purely about the flyers striking the center. The easiest way for this to occur is if the ride is e-stopped. I am not aware of this occurring recently. During normal operations the centrifugal force will make it more difficult to get enough inward speed.

• Like 4

The ride ops kept saying yesterday "Oh we can't wait to see what you do tonight". The ops kept promoting the event up to 1 minute before the ERT began. When I was getting into a dive, while close to snapping, they E-stopped and sent me nearly into the center pyramid. For that I got kicked from the ride.

• Like 1

Today was a great day to be at the park. We left around 1 due to toddler shark fatigue.

New family center is great.

LaRosa's on International street was doing great bright before noon. Only problems were the guests. They had 1 cashier at each exit and everyone kept going to the same side.

Kiddie land rides did well and the train was nice. Toddler shark even got to wave to don.

Interesting tidbit I asked about the Eiffel Tower and how do they inspect it and know it's "safe" every year. The ride op said that during the off season the "cage" is removed and then put back on. Thought it was an interesting thing and also sort of frightening to think about wiring or walking up there without the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

As I recall from my distant youth... My memory is foggy.... But it seems that the ride opened with either no cage or a partial cage with no "ceiling " cage. I remember freaking out seeing kids climb on the fence.... Then the next season having the "roof" of the cage.

• Like 4

You are right. I did a quick Google search

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/kings-island-ohio-august-1973.html?m=1

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bananaphone5000/media/Gorillamydreams/KingsIsland_8-22-73-B.jpg.html

Wowsers. Thanks upstop.

Now something I thought of while we trudged along the little kid train tracks today. I know that area used to house a car ride. But on the Peanut Trains (used to be Quick Draw Trains) each train has 19LGB75. I assume 1975 was the year they were built or installed. But what does LGB stand for?

• Like 4

So, I just go off Invertigo (which I hardly ever ride) and being by myself, they paired me with a family of 3.

There couples youngster had just hit the 54 mark and it was her first time riding it. The look on her face throughout the ride was great.

At the end they ask her if she wanted to ride again, to which she replied "nope".

Priceless.

• Like 13

Something about the parking today. The line from the tolls to the lot was backed up and I'm sure it's because of laziness and the inability to drive of the drivers. Everyone wants that close spot so they will fight tooth and nail for it.

Here's my story. As I was driving north to the entrance I noticed the outside one in the park had no cars and the left lanes were completely full.

Knowing this I merged right at the tolls and went to the farthest right toll booth. Handed over my pass and went in.

From here it goes from 5 lanes to 3 lanes to 2 lanes relatively quickly. We all merge into the left lane and no one is in the right lane. After a few mins of inching forward (no one still in the right lane), I merge right and move I stopped from about 200feet pass the tolls all the way to aisle 35 which is about halfway between south exit and the drop off. I got some horns beeped at me for passing everyone (legally) but I got out of my car had my son in the stroller and was walking towards the park when I saw the car I had originally got behind try making it down the same aisle I was parked in.

Moral of the story, that right lane doesn't end.

• Like 6

Ya, like they did with finishing the paving of the new toll booths right before season pass preview night, they seem to be doing this fencing and WWC entrance at the last minute as well.  

My main concern is those workers are in a lock-out area...was Diamondback running when they were in there? They had to be awfully careful.

• Like 2

When I rode the train earlier in the year the young man told us all that it would open on memorial day weekend. I assumed that many on Saturday. But when I rode the train this past Saturday the young man said that wwc would open up later on in the season... I don't know if that means this Saturday or later on but I hope it's this Saturday because my kids really want to ride it...as do I.

• Like 3

I posted this just now in the decoding thread, but I'll put it here too to add a third confirmation of the previous two posts.

When I rode the train Saturday, the announcer mentioned WWC would only reopen "later this summer" instead of Memorial Day weekend as was previously posted here.
  • Like 2