Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I was very glad to see and hear Off the Charts Friday night at the park performing. Always enjoy their horn section performing and the live music on a Friday night at the park is a bonus before ending the night with fireworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Pseudo trip report...

Had our first visit to the park this past weekend. Got in Sunday evening for a few rides with the youngest. We hit Banshee and Diamondback. I still need to get an actual night ride on Banshee, but front row at night on DB was an amazing experience (I usually prefer the back row for its different ride experience).

During our walk from Banshee to Diamondback, a Sprite bottle landed ~3ft in front of us and exploded. This happened right under the Banshee track that is over/near the ice cream stand. The only explanation I can muster is that it was in someone's pocket on the ride and fell out. I hope this is the case and not someone actively throwing it (but I wouldn't be overly surprised at this).

On Monday, despite minimal crowds we got held up at the same ice cream stand because of some confusion over cups. Honestly, it seemed to me like the guests were trying to scam a free cup or two, but I didn't truly pay attention until we'd been held up by about 10min by this single transaction. It had all the classic trappings of a scam - swapping different people from their group in/out, changing their count on things from time to time etc seemingly in an effort to confuse the cashier). The employee dealing with them handled himself professionally (props to him, I'd have lost my cool), but I think it would have been best to pull the customer to the side to deal with them so the line could continue to move along. It was to the point that I was willing to pay for them to get another cup just to move them along, it would have been worth and extra $15 to me just to get the ice cream that my family and had been waiting 45min to order.

Overall, though, we had a great time and can't wait to go back.

edit: spelling and a few missing words

• Like 10

First time registered with this forum, semi- on/off reader.  Just some general observations as our family bought Gold Season Passes for this year... 

We've been to the park multiple times already for the 2016 season.  Was interesting to see the new entrance go up for WWC- as I had previously read some rumour reports that WWC may be taken out for the 2017? Season.. with the area being fenced off for the "Watch for falling trees signs"... 

Onwards to my post though- 

I was curious to know- especially since I am a bit new here on the forums (lived in CIncinnati for almost 30 years and have visited KI many times over the years... sorry if this is an old topic.  Does anyone know what is going to happen with the old Tomb Raider/The Crypt?  Obviously it is blocked off and the building is still visible from The Beast cue line... I am guessing it is being used for Storage?  Also- has the 4-D Theater been resorted to Halloween Haunt storage and/or an area for an Indoor Halloween Haunted House? Just curious as we will probably be going to the Haunt related stuff later in the year.  I already know the former SOB cue line is used for Halloween Haunt too (maybe?)  

Just a newbie here, so just curious if anyone had any insight into my questions? 

• Like 7

Yes, 2ndsout.  All your comments about Haunt attractions and storage are correct.  

There may be a future for the Action Theater beyond Haunt.  Similar theaters at Carowinds and California's Great America were renovated into new dark rides this year (Plants vs. Zombies and Mass Effect).  The Son of Beast station and queue are probably less likely to be re-used.

• Like 5

I was very glad to see and hear Off the Charts Friday night at the park performing. Always enjoy their horn section performing and the live music on a Friday night at the park is a bonus before ending the night with fireworks.

Well, saxophones make everything better, obviously. B)

Also....sigh..... -_-

• Like 5

Well, saxophones make everything better, obviously. B)

Also....sigh..... -_-

Just ask Lisa Simpson.

• Like 4

...Even during awesome, memorable holiday parties!  :)

If someone deliberately threw that soda towards you, I would hope they got bum-rushed out of the park and banned - OR even arrested! (Throwing objects at someone constitutes assault in many jurisdictions, with degrees of aggravation based on such things as material of object, size, weight, speed, etc.)

There's this thing among spoiled, jock-ish punks, where they think it's funny (or self-gratifying) to throw things at people. I once had a bottle thrown at me deliberately. Some people can be that criminally un-caring.

• Like 9

It seems to be flipping back and forth a lot this year. Maybe Cedar Fair needs to hire a new app and website developer or vastly improve both because there are so many errors that come out of nowhere. Heck. The Kings Island app in the Google Play Store still has a screen shot of Kings Dominion... Not to mention it is an old map of Kings Dominion.

• Like 3

I had heard that they are done by Zambelli, but that was a few years ago.

Whenever Coney has fireworks (July 3rd and Fire Up the Night in September), they use Rozzi`s Famous Fireworks.  In fact, Coney is the reason Rozzi`s is located in the Cincinnati area.

• Like 6

I had heard that they are done by Zambelli, but that was a few years ago.

Whenever Coney has fireworks (July 3rd and Fire Up the Night in September), they use Rozzi`s Famous Fireworks.  In fact, Coney is the reason Rozzi`s is located in the Cincinnati area.

Ohio

John Greer

Project Manager

513-478-6475

johngreer@zambellifireworks.com

You could contact him, or Don to confirm.

• Like 4

Storytime: I just breezed past several full gold pass lanes in the plaza into a completely empty green lane. "Full" as in stacked all the way back to the merge lanes. y'all gon' learn today!

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 via Tapatalk

• Like 9

June Gold Early Rides are Backlot, Beast, Kite Eating Tree, Flying Ace, and Snoopy's Space Buggies per the official park Twitter.

Still holding out for the return of Windex ERT...

Somehow, I don't see that treat ever coming back...

• Like 1

I made this statement back on April 17th.  Gave it over a month to see if people got used to the new pattern.

So I went to Tower today at 11am to observe traffic patterns.  Granted it is a one time observation and construction is still on-going, but my predictions rang true.  Traffic still backed up to interstate.  It is controlled by the light at Western Row.  And at 11am, the backup was all the way from the new entrance to the interstate.  It was a one-lane backup.  During my observation, the majority of people know the far right lane is a turn only lane into KI.  The second available lane was mainly being used by those going straight although quite a few were using it to turn into KI. 

So basically what was 3 lanes on Kings Island Drive into KI old south entrance has been reduced to what I call one and a half lol.  Further complicating it is with the old entrance, you were traveling in the direction of the toll, whereas you could see ahead of you that the tolls opened up more lanes and and cars would spread out.  When not busy you could approach the tolls at speed limit.  With the new toll, you have to essentially make a 180 turn and head back south to get to the new toll once you turn off KI Drive.  This slows people down more than the old entrance.  Further complicating it is that you have to go over a hill once you turn in KI and you do not see the toll booth and the many tolls until you have gone a good way into the entrance.  So the line is bottlenecked coming off KI Drive.  Yes there are 13 tolls and multiple lanes, but folks don't know it and cant see it for a while so the bottleneck really constricts the flow.  And the flashing signs saying passholder entrance/etc. are too small and folks were constantly being in the wrong lane and when it is all bundled up, it is tough to switch lanes.

Even from tower it was obvious which ones were pass holders because they would drive past the bottleneck as soon as the lanes opened to 4.

I hope once construction is complete and once people get used to it that it will improve.  But I think the reconfiguration will always be more problematic than the old entrance/exit.  I think an expanded south entrance would have been a better solution.

Decided to give the 11am try again at Tower to observe traffic flow - same results as previously reported :(

Now in addition to the FB slams about the crazy long food lines being longer than ride lines, folks are now venting about the new traffic pattern and how much longer it now takes to enter the park and that yes, the problem they hoped to correct of backing up traffic onto the I-71 off-ramp still happens and actually appears worse than years past observations.

For those that like to Putz out of the park around 11am, you may want to Putz on out the north exit as the south exit is essentially coned off now that Soak City is opened and well yes, the traffic pattern to head to Soak City is in direct competition with the south exit (problem didn't exist with the old south entrance).  I saw a few move a cone to leave from south exit but I am sure security will end up needing to be at this location during peak Soak City entrance times now.

• Like 6

Well in all fairness to the park, the major construction to the road in front of the park has more to do with the backing up of traffic to the highway than the park moving the entrance.

The rest yes is totally on the park.

• Like 6