Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Well in all fairness to the park, the major construction to the road in front of the park has more to do with the backing up of traffic to the highway than the park moving the entrance.

The rest yes is totally on the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True and maybe we will all be surprised once the road construction is complete, but the bottlenecks I identified for the most part will still be there once construction is complete (So basically what was 3 lanes on Kings Island Drive into KI old south entrance has been reduced to what I call one and a half lol.  Further complicating it is with the old entrance, you were traveling in the direction of the toll, whereas you could see ahead of you that the tolls opened up more lanes and and cars would spread out.  When not busy you could approach the tolls at speed limit.  With the new toll, you have to essentially make a 180 degree turn and head back south to get to the new toll once you turn off KI Drive.  This slows people down more than the old entrance so traffic slows on KI Drive even with modest to light entry into the park that didn't exist prior.  Further complicating it is that you have to go over a hill once you turn in to KI and you do not see the toll booth and the many tolls until you have gone a good way into the entrance.  So the line is bottlenecked coming off KI Drive.  Yes there are 13 tolls and multiple lanes, but folks don't know it and cant see it for a while so the bottleneck really constricts the flow.  And the flashing signs saying passholder entrance/etc. are too small and folks were constantly being in the wrong lane and when it is all bundled up, it is tough to switch lanes.)

And certainly the park coordinated their new entrance with the City and the road construction and yes I think that some additional thought should have been put into the traffic patterns, both inside and outside the park.  I believe the new entrance will be problematic long after the road construction is complete.  We used to have 3 lanes that made maybe a 30 degree entrance into the park and now it has been replaced with two lanes requiring a 180 degree turn to get into toll and that will not change once construction is complete.  And as I have mentioned previously, if they would have shut Kings Island Drive down to through traffic during the offseason, they could have had the roadwork completed before the park opened.  Yes some locals would have had detours during the offseason, but the traffic counts when the park is open far exceeds the traffic counts of KI Drive during the offseason.

• Like 3

I agree with the exiting the park from the south exit.  With the cone set up, it is nearly impossible to exit from the south, even though the signs in the parking lot say south.  The whole thing is a mess right now.

I had the opposite problem while getting to the Soak City lot on Sunday. I was heading towards the south exit, but hesitated to go further as I thought I'd end up accidentally exiting the lot. Thankfully, security showed me the correct way to Soak City and confirmed I was on the right path (I was the only person heading to Soak City at the time).  ^_^

• Like 4

Today was an excellent day! Went up at 11 with my daughter and stayed over at Soak City for the first few hours then headed over to the food truck festival for some food to eat (no lines at Kings Island for food, how nice!). After eating food we went and watched the first Origins show of the day then rode Congo Falls, log flume, and White Water Canyon (got drenched!). After doing that we headed over to Soak City and rode a few more water slides then moved my car over to the dry side of the park. When we came back in we caught the last Origins show of the day then ate dinner. After that rode Adventure Express, Racer, bumper cars, and Backlot Stunt Coaster. Then we watched the last showing of Off the Charts, so glad it's back to the stage at the end of the fountains instead of where it was last year, much better atmosphere. After that we caught the fireworks and went home.

Can't say I have ever had a day at Kings Island where we only did 3 roller coaster rides with the first ride not being until 8pm and still be able to say it was a great day, but it was! It was an added bonus that the crowd was light, especially at the water park early in the day, so we got to walk on most of the water slides to start the day.

• Like 8

Can someone give me a rundown exactly of what's wrong with the new parking tolls and exits? 

On my way out last night around 10:40 I saw that Kings Island Dr. was completely full of cars, at a standstill. 

It seems like they should have made the new entrance/tolls at the old south entrance - the south entrance was used every operating day and every hour park was open whereas the north entrance was only used on peak days and/or peak hours.  If you arrived in afternoon or evening you would rarely see the north entrance open.  So almost everybody is aware and used the south entrance.

Now that south entrance is gone, people will mistakenly use the south exit as an entrance - some by mistake and some as a way to avoid paying parking - that happened in the past as well but not to the extent seen so far because in the past the entrance was in close proximity.

A claim made is the entrance was moved to the north to avoid backups onto I-71 - guess what - that is going to be dictated by the light at Western Row - unless that light stays continuous green heading towards Kings Island, traffic will back up to the interstate regardless of where entrance is located.  There are also several lights between Western Row and the new entrance, all playing their part in stopping traffic that will still back up to the interstate.  Yesterday, the lights at the south exit would switch as soon as someone came to the exit - I watched 5 cars get through the short green cycle on Kings Island Drive because a car came up to exit just as the light changed back to green on Kings Island drive.  This didn't happen last year as the entrance was south of the exit - another opportunity to stop traffic on Kings Island Drive that didn't exist last year.

Speaking of backing up to interstate - why in the world was Kings Island Drive backed up from new north entrance all the way to the Western Row light (and partly onto "off" ramp from interstate) at 10:20 at night - that's right at 10:20pm it looked like cars were lined up to go to Kings Island.  Maybe a lot of these were parents coming to pick up kids and now to get to the north entrance, they have to fight and compete now against the exits with lights on Kings Island Drive that they didn't have to compete with previously because the south entrance was south of the south exit?

Light at Soak City exit was flashing - there is an accident waiting to happen as the traffic heading north was at standstill so someone trying to turn left (south) out of that exit risked driving into moving southbound traffic.

Regarding south exit, I mentioned it earlier but may be able to sum it up better and probably more understandable now after dealing with it twice this year.  In the past, KI set up cones at the south exit to allow unrestricted flow to allow two lanes from different directions to enter into exit continuously (only having to stop at light), meaning cars didn't have to stop for traffic from another direction to enter exit.  Now, because of new traffic patterns, KI needs two security guards at the "entrance" to the south exit (roughly 100 feet from light) to stop traffic to allow those to enter the exit from the other direction - this was not a problem in the past and it worked.  Also, the south exit went from 3 lanes out (one dedicated left turn, one dedicated right turn, and one in middle to go either way) and now is one lane left and other lane right out.

As Terp points out, with time some of these will work its way out, but I think some just can't because of the new configuration.

And the line length issues to enter the park continue during close.  At 11pm on a Saturday that wasn't the typical Saturday crowd size, the line to get into the new entrance was backed all the way to the interstate.  Except for it being dark, it looked like an 11am line to get into the park near park opening.  As I mentioned previously, maybe a lot of these were parents coming to pick up kids and now to get to the north entrance, they have to fight and compete now against the exits with lights on Kings Island Drive that they didn't have to compete with previously because the south entrance was south of the south exit? 

And wow these unsupervised kids must be the real brats we see roaming the park causing trouble that the parents would rather sit in that traffic at 11pm to pick their kids up than to deal with the discipline lacking kids   :P   Now I say that sarcastically because I know not every unsupervised kid is a brat!  But I bet quite a few brats are dropped off at the park to get out of the parents hair!

• Like 2

Boy oh boy this will go on forever. But thanks guys for helping me.

electricsun, that's about the closest song I've heard so far. I knew it wasn't Sia though, because the singer in question has a much higher voice.

Could this be it?

Just trying to help!

• Like 3

They typically play it about 10 to 15 minutes before the national anthem.

I believe they are playing it because it has plenty of references to having a fun day, as well as Roller coasters and Eiffel Tower references (Just don't climb it... You'll get into trouble)

• Like 7

My song has still not been found.

Thanks everyone for continuing the search. But I believe it might be time to accept defeat. 

It's possible my description of it is completely off, as I find it difficult to describe music, or this song actually doesn't exist and it's a figment of my imagination. Either way, I have to retire. You all can keep the search ongoing as you please, and I will listen to each and every song you post on here, but at this point I am nearly positive this song is impossible to find. Adieu. 

• Like 5

My song has still not been found.

Thanks everyone for continuing the search. But I believe it might be time to accept defeat. 

It's possible my description of it is completely off, as I find it difficult to describe music, or this song actually doesn't exist and it's a figment of my imagination. Either way, I have to retire. You all can keep the search ongoing as you please, and I will listen to each and every song you post on here, but at this point I am nearly positive this song is impossible to find. Adieu. 

I may have missed this further back...

Do you have a smart phone? If so, try the Shazam app next time you're in the park. If not, bribe a friend to use theirs when you hear the song next.

• Like 2

Coaster Nation on Youtube just uploaded a new video,  showing the new White Water Canyon entrance, I know what your thinking,  we've already seen it...  But wait this shows the train crossing with the train sitting on the tracks!  This looks amazing,  I love it!  It will look even more better when the vines grow over the arbor.

• Like 7

I've never understood why so many people quit thinking when they go to a park.

If parks were responsible for lost articles, things would quickly get out of hand. Claims would be made for lost cups, wallets, money, strollers, etc., that never even came into the park to start with.

And since parks get their money from customers, guess who would pay for all this...

Leave it home if you can. You can't lose what you don't have.

• Like 10

All you should bring into the park is your wallet, your phone, and a souvenir cup if you have one. Even then, you could take out anything in your wallet you don't need (or even only take in your pass) and leave your phone in the car if you don't need it.

Personally, I'll continue taking my wallet and phone in the park. If I didn't have my wallet I couldn't buy anything and if I didn't have my phone my parents would be worried if I don't respond to their texts immediately.

• Like 4