Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I've heard people say that they thought the ride op was just telling them their place in the "count" of riders, and didn't associate it with seat numbers.  I've gone through the line and heard "okay you're twenty-two and twenty three," which I know means seat number; others might confuse this with "okay, you're the twenty-second and twenty-third riders for this cycle, and just go find a seat, not knowing that they're 'numbered.'

Anyway, it's always a good idea to avoid confronting someone directly; just go to an employee and let them know of the situation.

• Like 4

Typically, Operators should be saying "seat" before the number or "row" before the number and it's usually less confusing as it's hard to confuse seat with number of people on the cycle.

Then again. This is the GP we are talking about here...

• Like 6

A great day, thank you all! :)

Diamondback in the back at night is amaaaazing! :)

Just realizing how much I missed riding that thing!

I'm a fan of back row on DB, but REALLY like front row at night. Will have check back row next time I get a chance.

• Like 5

I am new to the area and tomorrow may be my second KI visit. Probably will go for a few rides in the morning and then take my boys to Soak City. Can you enter it from KI or do you need to exit and walk/drive around?

Also how does the lazy river work? Once and done or can you keep going? I have not been to many water parks but SFSTL had a tube rental that allowed you to stay on the river indefinitely.

• Like 5

^There are 3 options to get to Soak City.  One is through the entrance from the parking lot, another is walking on the path from Planet Snoopy, and finally, you can take the train with its station in Rivertown close to the Reds Hall of Fame Grille. 

• Like 6

And Welcome To KIC, King Ding Dong.

Thanks, glad I found this place. You to Silver2005.

Bought 3 platinum passes and 2 meal plans for my 2 boys and me. The plan is to hit KI or CP at least once a week this summer. Mom might make it once or twice.

Another question, from the maps and website it looks like the Soak City at CP is rather minimal, is that a correct assumption?

• Like 5

Also how does the lazy river work? Once and done or can you keep going? I have not been to many water parks but SFSTL had a tube rental that allowed you to stay on the river indefinitely.

The lazy river at KI is one and done if there is a line to enter, as staying on for a second lap would essentially be line-jumping those waiting in line. If there is no line, they might allow you to stay on, but no guarantees. Do note that the line for the lazy river moves very quickly; a line out of the pool, backtracking down the fence and around the corner a short distance is only about 3 to 5 minutes.

I strongly recommend hitting Soak City the moment it opens (10:30 if you enter through the parking lot, 11:00 if you enter from inside Kings Island), as that will be the least crowded time of day, By mid-afternoon, you can end up with 15- to 30-minute waits on all of the slides, leaving you with enough time to completely air dry between rides. So hit Soak City at 11:00, knock everything out by 1:00, and then head back to the dry park as the masses are moving toward the waterpark, leaving shorter lines for the coasters and other rides.

Another question, from the maps and website it looks like the Soak City at CP is rather minimal, is that a correct assumption?

I wouldn't say "minimal". It has a few things that KI's Soak City doesn't, such as an action river with waves and a set of enclosed pitch-black slides. With a Platinum Pass, it's worth an afternoon. As a bonus, CP's Soak City, unlike KI's, is NOT included with basic CP admission tickets or regular CP season passes. The only way to get in is with a waterpark admission ticket, a "Ride and Slide" ticket (which are usually multi-day tickets), or a Platinum Pass.

So I would think that crowds shouldn't be too heavy in the middle of the afternoon, though take that with a grain of salt, since the only time I've been in CP's Soak City was in 2011 on a cloudy day with a temperature hovering around 70°F. :P

• Like 4

The lazy river at KI is one and done if there is a line to enter, as staying on for a second lap would essentially be line-jumping those waiting in line. If there is no line, they might allow you to stay on, but no guarantees.

Wait, what? Is that new this year or something? Since the arrival of Soak City, not once have I seen guests not be allowed to go around another time, with or without a line. And I have seen a line, but again, not once did a lifegaurd stop anyone from going around again.

• Like 3

The lazy river at KI is one and done if there is a line to enter, as staying on for a second lap would essentially be line-jumping those waiting in line. If there is no line, they might allow you to stay on, but no guarantees.

Wait, what? Is that new this year or something? Since the arrival of Soak City, not once have I seen guests not be allowed to go around another time, with or without a line. And I have seen a line, but again, not once did a lifegaurd stop anyone from going around again.

I haven't been to the park this year at all. I'm speaking from past personal experience in prior years. Early in the day, with no line, I have sometimes been allowed to go around again, sometimes told to exit.

• Like 2

I just read your comment again, and realized that I slightly misunderstood it. You said, "not once have I seen guests not be allowed to go around another time, with or without a line." The double negative ("not once... not be allowed") confused me. So in essence, you're saying that you've NEVER seen them telling people they have to exit? That's not at all what I remember. Since the Soak City conversion, all of my experience is that if there is even a hint of a line (even if that "line" is just a large number of people walking in and grabbing tubes at around the same time), you MUST exit and yield your tube to those who are entering. I even recall discussion here on KIC back in 2012 where people were complaining about not being allowed to go around again.

Maybe one of us just needs some sleep? :P

• Like 4

Speaking of the Kings app I tried it out last visit and it sucked my battery dry. In IOS it insists on using location services even when not using the app so I found I had to force close it or toggle location services every time I use it. I tried setting permissions to only when using the app but the app does not like that. This is really a PITA. I suppose their anaylitics wants to track your traffic around the park, and I am fine with that in theory, but with GPS constantly on you only have about 3 hours of power and I really don't want to lug around one of my battery backups.

Any advise on settings or how to deal with this?

• Like 4

Made a first visit yesterday, cause it was UFCW day so discounted tickets, parking and lunch in the picnic grove. Just myself, as anytime I go with friends or family they aren't much for the big rides and I hate to make people wait as I ride. Only in hindsight do I realize I should have parked by the Soak City entrance, as I got to the park at quarter till 9. I could have left my bag in the car, rode rides, had lunch then go to Soak City, walk out to the car and get the bag, change, walk back to the car and drop off the bag and avoid locker rental fees. Something to remember if I have the time to go again later this year.

• Like 1

The enthusiasm I saw at Vortex this morning was a big improvement over my previous visit. Along with asking "How was your ride?" (even if no one responded) and saying different spiels including one that I had not heard before (I didn't catch all of it as my train was rolling out of the station, but it was a rhyme that ended with "since '87"), they worked efficiently so the trains very rarely stacked, and they were smiling and looked to be having a good time interacting with guests. In fact, a few of the crew members who helped me celebrate my 300th ride were there today! It was great seeing them again!

I wanted to go to Guest Services to leave a compliment, but I forgot to do it on the way out. Hopefully someone from KI sees this and gives those crew members the props they deserve!! :)

• Like 8

The enthusiasm I saw at Vortex this morning was a big improvement over my previous visit. Along with asking "How was your ride?" (even if no one responded) and saying different spiels including one that I had not heard before (I didn't catch all of it as my train was rolling out of the station, but it was a rhyme that ended with "since '87"), they worked efficiently so the trains very rarely stacked, and they were smiling and looked to be having a good time interacting with guests. In fact, a few of the crew members who helped me celebrate my 300th ride were there today! It was great seeing them again!

I wanted to go to Guest Services to leave a compliment, but I forgot to do it on the way out. Hopefully someone from KI sees it and gives those crew members the props they deserve!! :)

Give the park a call.  They love hearing positive compliments and the ride crews like hearing them as well.  It'll get back to the ride team the next day.

Back in the day, not sure if they still do it, the rides groups had competitions to see who could get the most positive guest comments in a season.

• Like 5

Contact Kings Island through their website. I can get an email or number, but don't have it handy. I am sure some on here can help.

This site is read by some at KI, but contacting the park will get the people on that crew recognized.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's actually important if someone does a great job to do that. Kings Island actually does acknowledge those who get positive guest comments. I know for fact when a ride op hears they had a positive GR comment, it truly makes their day.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

The Kings Island app has been delivering me bits of trivia when I arrive at the park, lately.

Today, it asked if I knew The Racer was the first coaster to go backwards and forwards. Thanks KI app, I did know that, and I hope you're mentioning it because there's a chance of bringing back recaR.

Wouldn't that be wrong?

Screamin' Demon was installed in '77. I'm thinking it was '83 when they changed to the backwards train on Racer.

• Like 4