Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I'd say it's a cultural norm, or becoming the norm.

When the most popular shows on TV aren't on broadcast TV and therefore "get away" with things not allowed on broadcast TV, people get used to it (some would say desensitized). There's nothing wrong with cultural norms shifting. Actually, it's a good thing. While every era has it's pros and cons I'd hate to be stuck with the culturals norms of, say, 1953.

• Like 4

Foul language is my biggest concern. I dont even care if someone wants to wear more revealing clothing, long as I don't see a butt cheek or a nipple... I'd rather not see cleavage either but.. I can tolerate it.

More specifically if someone is very vulgar, or even just a little vulgar, but are super loud and shamless when they use those (harsh to us) words.. that's where my judgement of people will come out :o

At the end of the day though, as guests, we gotta just ignore it and move on.

• Like 3

I haven't had passes in years until this year, and I used to work there.  I love going there and bringing my kids, so much fun and nostalgia. 

I hope this doesn't sound too elitist or rude.  Is it just me, or is there a disproportionate amount of really trashy people in the park?  I'm talking smoking, vulgarity, severe lack of clothing that just screams "no shame". 

To each his own and all that, but when I am in a public place with my kids, I don't want them to see / her / inhale that nonsense.  It's been a few years since I've gone a lot, so maybe it is just a cultural norm at this point.

I was just talking about this with my wife when we were at the park Saturday night.  It just seems like in recent years, the quality of the people attending has gone way down.  But who can really blame them from coming out when you can have a whole summer of food and fun for what it would cost you to do something else just a couple of times. 

Back in the 80s and early 90s when you also had Americana and Fantasy Farm up and running, we used to joke around about the crowds.  At Americana we'd say the people attending there are the Kings Island reject and at Fantasy Farm, we'd say they were the Americana rejects.  Now we weren't doing this to be mean, but it was obvious as you went to the various parks the the quality of the people changed in relation to the price of admission to the park.

I can hardly blame Disney for the rising cost of their theme park tickets anymore.  If this is a way to keep crowds down and keep the quality of people visiting up, then so be it.  The cheaper it gets to visit someplace, the lower class of people you'll get visiting.

• Like 6

Foul language is my biggest concern. I dont even care if someone wants to wear more revealing clothing, long as I don't see a butt cheek or a nipple... I'd rather not see cleavage either but.. I can tolerate it.

More specifically if someone is very vulgar, or even just a little vulgar, but are super loud and shamless when they use those (harsh to us) words.. that's where my judgement of people will come out :o

Must have visited on Sunday Bring a Thug day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Men's women's nipples? Man or woman cleavage? Front or back.... Just asking

• Like 3

My son just turned 8; we've had season passes as a family since the summer the turned 3.  In those 6 seasons we've never had issues with him being exposed to cursing, overly poor dress or smoking.  For the most part, people smoke in the designated areas; sure there are those who light up where they want, but they're few and far b/w from our experience, nothing too different from what you'd experience at many other places, like entering a restaurant, going to a baseball game, etc...  I've occasional seen some one's back end hanging out of their pants, but its just as common for that back end to belong to my son, so when it happens to someone else, no big deal.

On a whole, KI is not much different than what you see at most of your local malls.  I'm more likely to spot something, or hear something prior to my kids.  If I'm realistic, I know my son, heading into 2nd grade isn't all that far away from his friends thinking its "cool" to use that same language.  Sure I'd like to starve it off as long as possible, but its not realistic to think he's not going to be exposed.

Edit:

So as to not double post, but add to the 2016 conversation.

My wife took our son on his first ride on Flight of Fear the other day.  Due to baseball, swim team, martial arts, etc... we've only made it to the park a handful of times this season, and last year when he finally hit the 54" mark and I tried to take him, the line was backed up too far.  Anyways, my wife wanted to take him on the first seat of the ride for his first experience.  The ride attendant told her that she wasn't allowed to choose her seat and would have to go where she was assigned.  She stood her ground, said she was willing to wait, but she was definitely going in that first season for his first ride on that coaster.  I think this was a point of discussion at some prior point, can't recall if it was even at KI or not, but it seems like a poor stance for KI to take.  Sure, make those who want a specific seat wait longer if there are those ahead of them in line that also want that seat, but why deny someone a specific request, or I guess in my wife's case attempt to deny them a specific request?

• Like 9

Maybe it's just that I'm taller and more intimidating now (don't laugh! :)) but I find the general public at KI much more mild than I found the crowds when I was a kid 25-30 years ago. In fact, I find people, in general, much better behaved in public than ever. Especially teenagers.

Really? I guess that doesn't apply to the internet when they are hiding behind their keyboards. I read the comments on youtube and it makes me mourn for humanity.(much of comments I suspect people of younger nature) The hate and callousness on there is unreal.

To be fair, I do think idiots of all ages come out of the woodwork on sites like youtube.

• Like 3

Speaking of Flight of Fear, anybody ever do the "people fell off" trick. My nephew had never ridden it, so we are in the que lines waiting to get on when an empty train pulls in (as you know they unload in a different area) and I got an idea and said "look Aaron, the people must have all fallen out of that train". haha  He was practically on the verge of tears saying he didn't want to ride. I felt bad.  Sort of :lol:

• Like 4

Everytime I have ridden FoF this year and last year, they have assigned seats. I've always tried to get the front row as it is my favorite. I hate it when they deny front row requests because "there is already a line." I'd rather wait longer and ride where I want and I'm sure others would say the same. Drives me nuts!!

• Like 5

Yes, yes I have.

A few years ago, actually I guess about 6 when my son was far too little to ride such a ride, my wife's family got together at KI.  I told one of my nieces (I guess it would be step niece since its my brother in law's step daughter) that Flight of Fear didn't have any loops.  She would ride Diamondback but was fearful of anything with a loop.  It had been so long since I'd been on the ride, that I honestly forgot about the multiple inversions.  I felt bad when we got off the ride and you could tell she was scared.

• Like 3

The trips I've been to the park and rode FOF they were not assigning seats. They may do it because there are too many folks scheduled for the ride at that time, it's a part of a rotation. They can only have so many folks on the floor checking restraints. Just a thought....may or may not be the reason.

• Like 2

Sometimes they just get a tiny despot working as a separator. A couple seasons ago, the separator at Adventure Express was trying to get me to join the third of a group of three other women, on a nearly empty train when there was no line. I actually had to go back and forth with him for a little bit before he finally acquiesced to letting me ride in back. I was going to just skip it if he held his ground any longer.

In my experience, the line micromanagers who won't accommodate requests tend to be the worst about letting half empty trains leave because something like a borderline child needing to be measured interrupts them. The best separators can balance between flow, choice, and limitation of the number of people piling into the station.

• Like 7

I hate when the line separators try to guilt trip into making you go with a group, and they ask something to the extent of 'You're willing to skip a cycle and wait longer to ride by yourself?'  I get suckered into that all the time when I go as a single rider at Kings Island, particularly in instances when a group behind me hears the conversation and I acquiesce due to feeling a bit of pressure to go with it and I don't want to escalate things.    

• Like 2

Men's women's nipples? Man or woman cleavage? Front or back.... Just asking

Chugh43 is right lol all. BUT the people that usually are the "culprits" are men for the nipples being shown, women for what barely DOESNT show nipple.. and I've yet to see a guy wear shorts ,or a skirt for that matter, in public that showed their butt cheek

But again.. the clothing thing is nothing I'd ever take too seriously as a guest, tis just what I think ought to be "the right way"

Edit- it IS just a body afterall

• Like 4

I haven't had passes in years until this year, and I used to work there.  I love going there and bringing my kids, so much fun and nostalgia. 

I hope this doesn't sound too elitist or rude.  Is it just me, or is there a disproportionate amount of really trashy people in the park?  I'm talking smoking, vulgarity, severe lack of clothing that just screams "no shame". 

To each his own and all that, but when I am in a public place with my kids, I don't want them to see / her / inhale that nonsense.  It's been a few years since I've gone a lot, so maybe it is just a cultural norm at this point.

I was just talking about this with my wife when we were at the park Saturday night.  It just seems like in recent years, the quality of the people attending has gone way down.  But who can really blame them from coming out when you can have a whole summer of food and fun for what it would cost you to do something else just a couple of times. 

Back in the 80s and early 90s when you also had Americana and Fantasy Farm up and running, we used to joke around about the crowds.  At Americana we'd say the people attending there are the Kings Island reject and at Fantasy Farm, we'd say they were the Americana rejects.  Now we weren't doing this to be mean, but it was obvious as you went to the various parks the the quality of the people changed in relation to the price of admission to the park.

I can hardly blame Disney for the rising cost of their theme park tickets anymore.  If this is a way to keep crowds down and keep the quality of people visiting up, then so be it.  The cheaper it gets to visit someplace, the lower class of people you'll get visiting.

Im sorry but the quality of people has nothing to do with how much money they have. After seeing this get numerous likes it makes me contemplate even using this site anymore. But anyway there are people with lots of money who act just as ignorant if not more because they think they can get away with it because they DO have money. Im hoping your just saying that when prices get cheaper you have bigger crowds and more chances of these poorly parented "lower class" people. As for the smoking... Im a smoker I dont smoke in my house or in my car because i have kids and understand your concern for your kids but there are designated smoking sections at the park... which is outdoors.... So i hope you are referring to people smoking in crowded areas or in the line for rides or something in that sense. I honestly find it silly to have smoking sections outdoors but i understand and abide. And how long ago did you work there? At one time smokers werent limited to sections. I feel the same way about the language I do curse but never in front of kids mine or others.

• Like 4