Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Is Diamondback marathonable 10-11? Or does it immediately have a 15 min wait?

Depends on the day pal. I know earlier in the season, the line was about a 1/2 hour due to the ERT crowds. Not sure how it is now though. 

Good to know. I feel like every other theme park thread I read I see "FP/FL is necessary." Here's to hoping next Thursday's weather is decent and 5 laps on Diamondback is doable. 

• Like 1

While riding BLSC recently, I noticed the outdoor control panel finally had the correct logo and coaster name. It only took HOW many years?

It's only a sticker placed on top of the panel. But I did notice it last Saturday

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Another thing about my Tuesday visit:  Project 2017 or not, I am absolutely thrilled with the new WWC entrance and the wysteria tunnels.  See also classic KI font on the clock, the tower topiary and the calendar.  I am really hoping that with the 45th and 50th anniversaries coming up, Cedar Fair will continue to incorporate nostalgia elements back into the park.  I'd love to hear more themed music and the return of "international" to IS.

Oh, and my niece finally wanted to ride the Great Pumpkin Coaster, so guess who rode with her?  haha

• Like 8

Exactly where is the new WWC entrance in relation to where it used to be? Remember, I haven't been to the park in quite some time.

Just past Rivertown Potato Works.  They have placed it right next to the bottom of Diamondback's first drop, it goes across the train tracks and meets up with the original WWC.

• Like 4

It doesn't look bent, it just looks like the steel expands at the top.

Uh, what? It clearly looks bent to me. The front edge (closest to the camera) initially goes straight up, then abruptly tilts about 15° to 20° to the viewer's left. That's what I call "bent".

Making me really want to plan a trip to Kings Island... going to be really hot!

And I have much higher confidence in this forecast than usual, because there is going to be a huge dome of high pressure over us at the time and models are very accurate when it comes to those type of things. 

Brought to you by The Weather Channel, Its Amazing Out There!

https://weather.com/

UH%20OH_zpsp7jiq7fx.png

• Like 2

It doesn't look bent, it just looks like the steel expands at the top.

Uh, what? It clearly looks bent to me. The front edge (closest to the camera) initially goes straight up, then abruptly tilts about 15° to 20° to the viewer's left. That's what I call "bent".

It's all about perspective

jan47.jpg

From Dane Thomas

• Like 3

Lew Brown and Kenny Van Meter (the name of the other engine) were early conductors of the trains at KI.

Edit: added scans from the 1987 employee yearbook (A View from the Tower)

caf9ceb6134b2444362375a12b76c58e.jpg

And a closer shot of, I believe, Kenny Van Meter (left) and Marvin Stahl, if the captions on the other pic are to be believed.

b769efdff59f22341e9c8c858cd3d5d4.jpg

• Like 10

Been busy lately, so haven't had the time to bring it up... But after my visit a couple weeks ago, I would love to see rehab of the Grand Carousel and the International Street lights switched over to LED so maybe they won't be a hodgepodge of burnt out and working lights.

The current state of the Grand Carousel is sad.

• Like 6