Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

^Where have you met him? I know him from his time assisting the brass section for a few years in the UC undergrad band.

He is a private lesson teacher for a lot of the trumpet players at Mason High School. I took lessons from him for a while. Great guy
  • Like 4

So we got to the park about 2:30 today and the goal was for the boys to finish up all coasters they haven't been on yet. Invertigo, Racer, AE, Firehawk (they both declared it their new favorite coaster), FOF.

Then it was time for Vortex. I warned them about it but they both wanted to give it a try. My 11yr old came off looking bad. "Never again, Dad". My oldest didn't have a problem becuase he leaned his head forward. We sat down and the medics showed up for a woman who was dizzy from it and they took her to FA. I asked them where I could buy some Vitamn-I and they just handed me a packet. Thanks KI!

After a bit we decided to head down to the train for a chill out, (I posted some picks of the new retaining wall in Decoding) but he still was not feeling great so we headed home and stopped for a McFlurry. He was fine after that. :)

So Vortex has claimed another victim. :)

• Like 5

So we got to the park about 2:30 today and the goal was for the boys to finish up all coasters they haven't been on yet. Invertigo, Racer, AE, Firehawk (they both declared it their new favorite coaster), FOF.

Then it was time for Vortex. I warned them about it but they both wanted to give it a try. My 11yr old came off looking bad. "Never again, Dad". My oldest didn't have a problem becuase he leaned his head forward. We sat down and the medics showed up for a woman who was dizzy from it and they took her to FA. I asked them where I could buy some Vitamn-I and they just handed me a packet. Thanks KI!

After a bit we decided to head down to the train for a chill out, (I posted some picks of the new retaining wall in Decoding) but he still was not feeling great so we headed home and stopped for a McFlurry. He was fine after that. :)

Vortex is the only coaster that I used to grey out on. This is not uncommon, but I guess the G's from all the inversions do it. I used to ride that 6-7 times back to back. Takes a toll for sure. This was a long time ago, so I don't know if it's rougher now days or not.

• Like 1

Something's lurking........in the woods....Maybe it's the 300' Intamin........Maybe it's a wild Sasquatch.......Better grab a Snicker's while you can......It's going to be interesting!

• Like 7

Sorry to hear that- i had to reset my nose in the dames' john (joan?) due to that ride.

I'm sorry your son's day was ruined.

• Like 2

It was still down this morning, and there were maintenance guys around it discussing it. Seeing it in person, it's clear that the bend at the top is part of the design, not damage.

I thought it was a stylized sculpture of a "zephr".

Vortex is the only coaster that I used to grey out on. This is not uncommon, but I guess the G's from all the inversions do it. I used to ride that 6-7 times back to back. Takes a toll for sure. This was a long time ago, so I don't know if it's rougher now days or not.

I honestly find The Vortex to be one of the roughest rides in the park.  I would ride The Beast 10 times in a row over The Vortex.

• Like 2

^^ I didn't grab a pic yesterday but that spire thing was not on it yesterday when we walked by.

^ his day was not really ruined as they are usually coastered out after 4 hours or so anyway. We may have gotten a Banshee or Diamondback ride in but they would have probably been ready to go home after that anyway. We have platinum passes and get to go to KI/CP at least once a week. Though today was only the second time we have been at the dry side of KI this year. We can stay longer if it is split with some time at SC we just didn't get up in time yesterday.

They haven't done Mean Streak yet and if they do I will make sure it is the last ride of the day.

• Like 4

I honestly find The Vortex to be one of the roughest rides in the park. I would ride The Beast 10 times in a row over The Vortex.

I'm sorry to hear about this! I understand not everyone enjoys rides like Vortex (given that it's 29 years old and the oldest steel coaster at Kings Island) but it still breaks my heart to hear stories of bad experiences on my special favorite ride...

...but to each his own.

As for riding it, yes, I find myself graying out on the second loop sometimes (not as much as I have on some other coasters though) and I am still as inclined to ride it numerous times on end as I was when I started riding it six (?!?) years ago!

Sometimes I wish everyone else would be able to handle Vortex just as well. I know that will never happen, but it's just a thought crossing my inquisitive mind. I seem to have a way with those Arrow coasters, as a few from here have said before...:P

Pertaining (more) to the topic, I hope it won't be too long before Zephyr is up n' running again. I had decided against riding it on my previous trip because of time, which means I have not ridden it since June!!

And of course the announcement has to be on another conflicting day for me. SOMEDAY there will be an announcement I will actually be able to attend! :P

• Like 7

7 days and counting ... Next generation of coasters as Kings Island kicks off the platinum era , just as The Racer kicked off the 2nd golden era of roller coasters. Cannot wait to attend with my children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It's going to be 92° at Kings Island today. Time for ye good pirate Thrill Beard to take to the waters, and defend the dear riders from the harsh discomfort of having no water on them, for a good splash refreshes for many hours, and a soak against the oppressive heat makes hearts glad, um,  narrrr!

Hoist the Jolly Splasher!

ThrillNarge.png

:P See y'all at the park! Stay cool.

• Like 21

That made me laugh a lot. :)

Thank God I have an excuse not to ride WWC and other water rides due to doctors orders to not get my stitches wet. :P;)

I had a fantastic day yesterday at the park. Was quite a whirlwind day, I drove up there with my friend Yu Fong, we left for McDonalds, got back at around 6:50 to be dropped off as he had to leave. Met up with Aandjgoods and Ohiocolts. Did some hilarious things like what was it called "LWOTDODOA" (Last Walk Of The Day On Dinosaurs Alive) amongst other things. Free Panda Express rice which I later used as an apology gift for my mom. Went to ride Diamondback, met up with Princess Sparkle, got on there and had one great ride. Left the park at 9:55 PM, Sorry Mom for being 25 minutes late! :ph34r:

13686643_739015546240945_641524934870142

39f580080822277d66416e7b05fe4e3a.jpg

I hope to see you all again on Announcement Day! :)

Arrive at 3:40 PM

Diamondback: 1-2)

The Beast: (6-2)

Vortex: (7-1)

Blue Racer: (1-1)

Adventure Express: (1-1)

Delirium: Seat 50

Banshee: (7-1)

The Bat: (2-1)

Leave park at 6:10 for McDonalds.

Dropped off at 6:50 PM

Meet up with Alec and Lucas

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill: Car 14 (Score: Me, 690, Lucas, 911 and Alec, 1600)

LWOTDODA

Delirium: Seat 40

Panda Express

Sorta kinda just meet up with Kaitlyn.

Diamondback: (7-2)

Leave Park at 9:55 PM

Thanks everyone for a great day! :) I hope announcement day will be just as good.

• Like 10

They also kept most the doors at different stores closed

Which was nice, but a little confusing why this was the first time that happened (That I recall)

There has been more than one day that have been equally as hot as today was.

The only other time I noticed that sort of practice was at Holiday World

• Like 1

Warning to all ... Even though there is virtually no one in the park today, do not park in the empty bus/rev parking area.... The lot police are handing out parking tickets...I wasn't one to receive the surprise but I witnessed the tickets being passed out.... Just one of the many additional surprise perks of the season to come I suppose.... I wonder why there isn't a single sign mentioning "bus/rv parking only, others will be ticketed"

• Like 4