Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

• 2 weeks later...

Idk about blood drums, but monster rock should be playing on the last Sunday. They have sunday shows regularly.

Btw. I would reccomend to see Monster Rock. Lots of talent on that stage. You might wanna bring your ear plugs, but I really enjoyed it, despite it being a music revue.

I've yet to see Blood Drums this year though, or hotblooded, but I'm sure HB is the same

• Like 2

Well, just got back from Haunt at Kings Island. Had an awesome day...here is a quick summary, a full trip report might come later...these are roughly in order I noticed them as I went through my day:

-Tried Vortex's 7-1 seat for the first time. It was actually very good with awesome air on the first drop. I will now have to choose (probably based on lines) between this and 5-1 on future visits.

-The Beast was running GREAT. Awesome speed (though I now notice the trims which is probably me being used to the ride) and not overly rough at all. Rode once during daylight and a 2nd time after dark, both were awesome but the 2nd ride was superior for obvious reasons. I can only imagine how crazy fast it would have been if trimless...maybe too fast as my sister complained it actually scared her. The ride also had some great new seasonal theming touches, and references to Son of Beast, Flight of Fear, and Mystic Timbers.

-The Bat and Adventure Express are amazing rides at night. The Beast and Banshee might get all the attention, but these rides also improve drastically at night.

-Speaking of Banshee, due to it having a huge line, we didn't ride it. We tried to get Diamondback before the crowds built up, but it broke down and then had a huge line when it re-opened. So I didn't ride a single B&M...or Vekoma, for that matter, as I didn't do Invertigo or Firehawk either. Rode all the other adult coasters though (kids coasters were all closed). Unless you count Red Racer because we rode Blue.

-Flight of Fear was our attempted first ride, but it was broken so we did Vortex instead. Later me and a friend returned and rode it while my sister did Field of Screams, and I got a ride with the MCBR...OFF (we slowed down just a bit when we hit it but came nowhere near stopping). One of the most intense rides I have ever taken on a roller coaster so far. That final corkscrew really packed a punch with no MCBR stop.

-The Eiffel Tower looked awesome with those evil eyes, so I dubbed this version "Evil Tower". :P We also rode it for the first time in a while and went on the lower 265-foot platform for the first time.

-There were some food trucks parked at the base of the "Evil" Tower, selling Pizza and Grilled Cheeses and stuff for dirt cheap compared to the park's food ($8 for 2 slices of Pizza versus $11 for LaRosa's). I got a Grilled Cheese. It was good. We also got Ice Cream that tasted almost EXACTLY like pumpkin pie, which is good because I like pumpkin pie. :P

-Racer was pretty fun, but had some rough spots. The memorable moment for that ride came when I got ejector air on a very rough spot at the same time, which was like "WHAM!" (launched out of seat). My lapbar was also apparently damaged as it was taped up, but as I am still here to post this and you are not reading some "Man launched from Racer and killed" post, it was obviously fine.

-Mystic Timbers is looking very good so far, and based on my Beast rides today, if it is anywhere near as fast feeling as Beast with more airtime, and in the woods, Beast may well have a challenger for my favorite ride in the park title. It isn't skyline dominating huge though- then again most of the lift remains to be built so we shall see when I come to ride the built coaster hopefully next year.

-I also rode WindSeeker and BLSC, which were their fun usual selves, and Boo Blasters (not as big a fan of that one). Didn't do any haunts as I come to KI for the rides.

-I also saw my first show (or at least the first few songs of it): Blood Drums. It was awesome with the pyro and cool effects.

-Kings Island may have overdid it on the fog. As we were leaving, I looked back and the "Evil" Tower and Drop Tower were all I could spot, as well as Diamondback's lights which appeared to be floating in midair. They also put the fog machine on Beast in a bad spot, right next to the lift hill...which meant there was a lot of fog when we hit the brake run.

And that is a 12-point summary of my day. It was awesome. But now I am sleepy, and will rest. But I also await my next visit to Kings Island...though I expect Mystic Timbers will be open by then.

• Like 8

Interesting weekend.  Diamondback when down Friday just as we got to the station, my son got his 300th Diamondback ride in Friday, witnessed my first Diamondyak firsthand (protein spill, thankfully it was A) after the ride was done while we were coming into the station and B) it was behind us), saw The Beast ques full and out to the arcade (80s flashback there), saw multiple idiots with cell phones out on rides, and Diamondback get taken down for a couple of cycles due to a child getting their knee stuck in the exit gate from the outside.  No damage was done, but I did find it odd that when got back to the station after our ride, there were kids outside hanging on the exit gate.

Crowds were pretty big, so the park should close the year well.  You can tell it is near the end of the season, as lots of food items seem to be getting scarce / hard to find.

• Like 6

Interesting weekend. Diamondback when down Friday just as we got to the station, my son got his 300th Diamondback ride in Friday, witnessed my first Diamondyak firsthand (protein spill, thankfully it was A) after the ride was done while we were coming into the station and B) it was behind us), saw The Beast ques full and out to the arcade (80s flashback there), saw multiple idiots with cell phones out on rides, and Diamondback get taken down for a couple of cycles due to a child getting their knee stuck in the exit gate from the outside. No damage was done, but I did find it odd that when got back to the station after our ride, there were kids outside hanging on the exit gate.

Crowds were pretty big, so the park should close the year well. You can tell it is near the end of the season, as lots of food items seem to be getting scarce / hard to find.

I'm so glad you said you witnessed your first diamondyak! When I worked on the ride, I had to walk out to the brakes next to the storage track (because we went down) to check on everyone. As I stepped toward the back of the train, someone leaned over and yak'd everywhere. I told a coworker, we have a Diamondyak out on the brakes.

Thanks for bringing that memory back haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this has been answered here or not yet but I can't seem to get an answer out of the park....

When renewing your Gold KI Pass, one of the perks is one free bring-a-friend ticket for a fall Sunday.

Where do we get this ticket and how do we take advantage of this deal? When I bought my pass, the only voucher I got was for the free FastLane Plus.....

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 2