Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Backlot's  red train is back on track

The white train is as well!

I stated that the White and Red train were on the storage track at least a page ago.

Another step closed to 2016!

Backlot Stunt Coaster is currently on the storage track. Cars Red and White.

Awesome....I decided to respond to TheBeast1116 and let them know they were missing something. 

• Like 2

Looking at the webcam, it sure looks like that's a basketball game going in across from the arcade.... can't be sure because the image is so small.

I was gonna agree with you, but I wanted to wait till a photo was posted.

You (we) were right! *high five*

Exposure is off but, you can still tell what it is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCLrW5KOOOT/

b6469e068e7a3931ca28577a6ca8328c.jpg

• Like 6

Wait a second. There's no foundation to that... whatever that is. From the perspective of that picture, there should be some sort of foundation in front of it where the ball net, game attendant, and podium where you pay go. The basketball games in Coney Mall and the basketball game in Rivertown both sit on a concrete foundation, but that picture pretty clearly shows mud and grass.

"But maybe they're getting ready to pour that foundation," you offer. And yeah, sure. Maybe that's the case. Except they already hung the hoops up before pouring the foundation or assembling any of the rest of the game? Not to mention that there are three footer-like somethings behind the wood thingies at the bottom of the picture, and they don't appear to be related to Diamondback. I can't see behind the Rivertown basketball game on Google Maps/Earth, but there's no footer-like objects that I can discern behind the Coney Mall games. From the webcam, the ground behind the hoops and by The Crypt's entrance appears to be torn up, which doesn't make much sense to me if this is a basketball game.

And if that actually is a basketball game, then surely someone has considered the possibility that a miscreant may be tempted to toss a ball at a passing Diamondback train? (Although netting could perhaps fix that issue.) Not to mention: have we actually seen any confirmation that the original basketball game in Rivertown is gone? I know the game building beside the old-time photos building was demolished, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that said the old basketball game was gone. The new funnel cake place sits on the land formerly used by both the game building and the adjacent smoking area. So if the original Rivertown game is still there, it seems weird to place a new one that close to it. The pictures on Kings Island's Twitter of the new funnel cake building keep the basketball game out of the frame. Coincidence? I don't know.

I want to think we're being diversion-ed, but hanging basketball hoops seems like a remarkably big step to take for the sake of a PR stunt for any park. And it's not like I'm an expert in assembling amusement park games. Something about this seems strange to me, I guess. But I could be entirely wrong, too--the park did tweet #NewFor2016 on one of the initial pictures of this area. But on the other hand, a "that's interesting" caption and some slight teasing over a basketball game would be a very Tony Clark-like move from Don, who doesn't usually do that sort of thing. Except he did do that sort of thing just before the Tropical Plunge announcement. Gah, I don't know! :) I guess we'll know for sure/we'll know more when the 2016 map is released.

(And here I told myself I wasn't going to get all overexcited about potential hints. Oh well!)

EDIT: AND the caption for that picture on Instagram is "Share if you wish you were riding the tallest and fastest #rollercoaster at #KingsIsland right now, Diamondback." That one's too obvious--Don's obviously messing with some people. I don't know how far you're willing to go, but I'm on to you, Helbig.

• Like 7

The backboards are easily interchanged with bolts more or less.  You could change those weekly...it's that easy.  I'm no expert by any means, but I have put in a goal at home many years ago.  The pole has a big square metal piece welded onto it, with holes for the bolts that mount the backboard.  KI might use a slightly different setup, but the basic concept has to be the same.  

• Like 2

Yeah, it certainly looks like a basketball game to me!  :-)  I bet they put netting up somewhere, but mostly to protect the folks down below.  The thought of someone throwing a basketball at the coaster...yikes.  Could have happened before I guess if you think about it.  It'd be pretty hard to hit your mark with a basketball I think but that's a one-way ticket to some serious time in the "slammer" regardless of what you're throwing.

• Like 4

Now.... Next to the new basketball game is a rectangular dug out.... For the soccer game? .... Maybe...

This begs the question...

If the soccer game goes in next to the basketball game.... What's going into the old funnel cake building location???

That's the area to keep your eyes on this season!!!

• Like 1

Fair enough! :) Maybe it is a basketball game after all.

I'm still curious about those footer-looking things, though. I wouldn't expect that they actually are footers, so I wonder what they're for. More to be excited for opening day for, I guess!

Here's a processed version of the image for you're speculating pleasure. :)

748b38d5c1d938464ee7db25994318eb.jpg

Source of original photo: "kingsislandpr" on Instagram

---

Well, the old smoking section was right under the first drop, so...

The first drop is much higher from the ground. It has time to dilute in the air to be virtually unnoticed.

ed52b098441d464d55f2dd602ba835fd.jpg

Also not directly underneathe. Definitely being emcompassed by the ride.

• Like 1

Diamondback's finale will have a new feature at the end. Free second-hand smoke before the final splashdown..

If that's what the concrete clearing is.

I truly hope you're being facetious and not legitimately concerned about that...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Diamondback's finale will have a new feature at the end. Free second-hand smoke before the final splashdown..

If that's what the concrete clearing is.

I truly hope you're being facetious and not legitimately concerned about that...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I don't like to tolerate unhealthy lifestyles.

Especially when they affect other people.

It's not about the immediate affects, but the lifetime of exposure to it.

I don't think it's absurd to be a little concerned about it.

Why shouldn't I be? Genuinely, if I've nothing to worry about, I'd like not to.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about all the people farting in line around me...but that's just me.

I don't wanna smell farts either haha

Buut, I think farts might be a little less harmful.

• Like 2

I think they do appreciate your business also! Im sure everyone on this site is a loyal KI patron.

I don't feel the need to tolerate people who smoke. I simply don't want to be subjected to the smoke when they're doing that activity.

I have sympathy for people that didn't grow up with it ingrained so heavily and shown that smoking isn't the best thing to do, while they were growing up.

Im not sure if it came off that way, but I apologize if it felt like I was attacking you or other cigarette smokers.

I just want smoking sections to be reasonably secluded from people that don't choose to breathe it.

Edit- one small thing you do, doesn't extend to define how I judge someone as a person.

• Like 7

Don't be too hard on yourself.

It's not like I have the best self control with everything. (Edit- and that's with non addictive things)

I hope smoking sections don't end up being pushed to a back corner. There should be a happy medium between easy access and seclusion.

I think the one I pictured above is a good location that's right off the path, but doesnt really get noticed when walking by. (Unless it's incredibly crowded)

I just think under the helix isn't that happy medium.

• Like 2

Concerning basketballs.... I've had trays of food knocked out my hand during a full court press on the midway before. I've also been wacked in the back of the head while someone was passing their ball across the midway. I've been pushed, shoved, tripped and nearly knocked down while finding myself in the middle of the "court". ... And more.

Also, there is nothing anywhere stating the smoking area is moving... What if it's not moving?.... Just food for thought ;)

• Like 7

One time while waiting in line for SOB, someone had a basketball and was bouncing constantly and furiously throughout the line. The decided to bounce the ball over the side of the queue on the concrete between the track and the gate and OOPs the lost control. The ball bounced into the track area and rolled slowly downhill following the track and POOF it fell over the edge into oblivion.....and the queue line crowed roared in approval!

• Like 9