Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

If you wanted to hurt a bunch of people just stand in line outside the gates right before the park opens on just about any weekend and do it.  The bag-checks and metal detectors on the way in never has made any sense to me from a "protecting the people" perspective.  Maybe it protects the park from a lawsuit, but it doesn't protect me.

• Like 3

There are metal detectors at Kennywood. They are immediately after the point where your ticket is scanned. And then the bag check comes after. (EDIT: bkroz beat me to the punch.)

Don't forget, Six Flags generally have metal detectors before you get to the finger print scanners....those also allow for backups trying to get into the park.

I can't remember offhand how it works at Fiesta Texas, but SFStL has the ticket booths and front gate well after the metal detectors. Lines are to be expected at metal detectors--if people were flowing quickly through them, I'd question their effectiveness. The disorderly blob of people that forms between the ticket booths and the front gate from the maddeningly slow entry process, however, is unnecessary. As I now understand it, the technology isn't a bad idea... But if it's going to be as much of a problem as it is there, then its use needs to be reevaluated. It works well in Florida and, knowing what I know now, is acceptable enough at the Busch/SeaWorld parks, but it's a hassle at SIX.

• Like 2

Um. No. Still there. See important point #3.

If you wanted to hurt a bunch of people just stand in line outside the gates right before the park opens on just about any weekend and do it.  The bag-checks and metal detectors on the way in never has made any sense to me from a "protecting the people" perspective.  Maybe it protects the park from a lawsuit, but it doesn't protect me.

Yes and if you want to hurt a bunch of people at an airport just stand outside the airport. 

Sure.

But regardless of that cyclical logical, this is a smart step. Maybe it does just provide the "illusion" of safety. That might be enough to dissuade anyone who might've tried something from attempting it. The news article I linked to above mentioned that as of that writing (1993) individuals under 21 wouldn't be allowed into Kennywood after 7PM, noting the significant gang violence that the park was dealing with and how uniformed officers would be stationed throughout the park. And Kennywood is far from the very worst. The experience you encounter at your local suburban park on a friendly summer weekday is not necessarily representative of what's out there. 

To stop guests at the gate and ensure they don't have weapons might not seem worthwhile at Kings Island, and indeed, it seems that Cedar Fair agreed. They didn't think Kings Island's patrons made it worthy of the extra hassle and staffing that a security check-point brings about. But you better believe it's still in place at Kings Dominion and I suspect it always will be. DC is not Cincinnati; Doswell is not Mason. At least one member here will attest to that. 

• Like 7

Then why do it at one park and not the other?

I mean I can see an airport, Pentagon, white house, etc, etc. Yea, I do believe safety is VERY important, always have. We're not even talking walk through detectors, they use wands, which go off whenever i runs over anything with metal in it. So it is kinda obvious when they wave the wand over it.

But it's a belt. A belt on a guy going into an amusement park. And you can see it's just a belt. I've never seen a belt hurt anyone unless you take it off and use it as a weapon. Which I would never do anyway. Them detectors would be useless for that.

I was never even mad that I had to do it.  I mean I could see where someone would be, not everyone is as laid back as I am. 

And yes Terp, I know most buckles are made of metal. :D

Why at one park and not another? Visit a nice suburban park like Kings Island, then take a trip to Kennywood or Six Flags America. Long and short is that some parks really should screen their guests more intensely. Maybe that's not politically correct, but c'est la vie.

The belt isn't removed because it could be a weapon. It's removed to ensure that it's not being used as a scapegoat for anything else with metal pieces.

*scanner goes off* 

"Oh, that's just my belt." *flashes belt*

"Oh, alright. C'mon in, then!" 

Notice that you take the belt off, then can put it back on once you've passed through security. They're not confiscating it; they're making sure that once the belt is off, you don't set off the scanner. 

Good thing they aren't taking it, I'd be walking through the park half naked.

I went through the gate twice. Once I had to remove my belt, the other I did not. Needs to be consistant, I think.

Like I said, I was never mad that I had to remove it. Do I think it's a little overboard? Maybe. Do I think it's possible for something to get by the detectors? Not everything is metal. 

I stand by my statement, it's just a belt.

• Like 2

Um. No. Still there. See important point #3.

Yes and if you want to hurt a bunch of people at an airport just stand outside the airport. 

Sure.

But regardless of that cyclical logical, this is a smart step. Maybe it does just provide the "illusion" of safety. That might be enough to dissuade anyone who might've tried something from attempting it. The news article I linked to above mentioned that as of that writing (1993) individuals under 21 wouldn't be allowed into Kennywood after 7PM, noting the significant gang violence that the park was dealing with and how uniformed officers would be stationed throughout the park. And Kennywood is far from the very worst. The experience you encounter at your local suburban park on a friendly summer weekday is not necessarily representative of what's out there. 

To stop guests at the gate and ensure they don't have weapons might not seem worthwhile at Kings Island, and indeed, it seems that Cedar Fair agreed. They didn't think Kings Island's patrons made it worthy of the extra hassle and staffing that a security check-point brings about. But you better believe it's still in place at Kings Dominion and I suspect it always will be. DC is not Cincinnati; Doswell is not Mason. At least one member here will attest to that. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  And that's okay.  I'm sure Terp will love your post, and many others.  The illusion of safety is just that.  :-)

Bkroz. We're both wrong. Dont remember them still. Didnt think they'd be listed on the site.

I say they're there. You say they're not. 

Schrödinger aside, we can't both be wrong. :P

Either your memory is failing or mine is. (And between you and me, I know which is the culprit. ;))

The link to the park's FAQ mentions that all guests, employees, and even management must pass through metal detectors. Last year after a violent skirmish, even more security measures were put in place, verified by this article which again mentions the metal detectors that've been there since 1993. Kennywood uses metal detectors. It needs them. Pittsburg is not Cincinnati. West Mifflin (median household income 2013: $24,090) is not Mason (median household income 2013: $86,814). 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  And that's okay.  I'm sure Terp will love your post, and many others.  The illusion of safety is just that.  :-)

It ain't about getting likes. Couldn't care less. I don't think there's a disagreement here, either. Just a different perspective. If someone wants to hurt people, they will. That's not a shock or news to anyone. Someone could drive their car up through the gates and plow down International Street if they wanted, or charter a helicopter and drop bowling balls from the sky. But common sense safety measures shouldn't be forfeited because "Well, if they want to hurt us, they'll find a way."

"Better safe than sorry."

Do you object to having to pass through metal detectors and have your bags checked at the airport? Maybe you do. The "illusion" of safety? Maybe. But how many would-be attackers have been deterred by the process? If even one, then isn't it worth it? How many guns, knives, explosives have been found during that airport screening? If even one, then isn't it worth it? The attitude we as a society have chosen is that it's worth given up some select personal rights and privacies in exchange for the safety and well-being of all. At concerts, sporting events, airports, theme parks, and more, that means if our metal detector goes off, you're going through again until it doesn't anymore. I'm okay with that. 

• Like 2

It ain't about getting likes. Couldn't care less. I don't think there's a disagreement here, either. Just a different perspective. If someone wants to hurt people, they will. That's not a shock or news to anyone. Someone could drive their car up through the gates and plow down International Street if they wanted, or charter a helicopter and drop bowling balls from the sky. But common sense safety measures shouldn't be forfeited because "Well, if they want to hurt us, they'll find a way."

"Better safe than sorry."

Do you object to having to pass through metal detectors and have your bags checked at the airport? Maybe you do. The "illusion" of safety? Maybe. But how many have been deterred by the process? If even one, then isn't it worth it? How many guns, knives, explosives have been found during that airport screening? If even one, then isn't it worth it? The attitude we as a society have chosen is that it's worth given up some personal rights and privacies in exchange for the safety and well-being of all. At concerts, sporting events, airports, theme parks, and more, that means if our metal detector goes off, you're going through again until it doesn't anymore. I'm okay with that. 

I objected to body scanners at the airport by making them waste their time and pat me down.  Look, I'm cool with the guy next to me on Diamondback open-carrying.  I might say, "Bro, that's on safety, right?", but back to my original point...taking anyone's belt off at an Amusement Park is not making anyone safer.  Dumbing us all down maybe.

• Like 1

Bkroz. We're both wrong. Dont remember them still. Didnt think they'd be listed on the site.

I say they're there. You say they're not. 

Schrödinger aside, we can't both be wrong. :P

Either your memory is failing or mine is. (And between you and me, I know which is the culprit. ;))

The link to the park's FAQ mentions that all guests, employees, and even management must pass through metal detectors. Last year after a violent skirmish, even more security measures were put in place, verified by this article which again mentions the metal detectors that've been there since 1993. Kennywood uses metal detectors. It needs them. Pittsburg is not Cincinnati. West Mifflin (median household income 2013: $24,090) is not Mason (median household income 2013: $86,814). 

You misunderstood me.

"both" speaking about me and my friend that I went to Kennywood with. 

I said earlier "I dont remember any wands or metal detector arches.. just a bag check according to the person I went with"

Very passionate response though!  :lol:

I didn't speak very clearly when I was addressing your name.

• Like 1

The actual reasons that belts are typically removed before going through a scanner haven't been listed here. The same reasons that watches, coins, phones, etc., are.

Metal detectors do best at finding unexpected metal when other metal doesn't interfere. And the removed items can be (but often aren't) inspected more closely.

The level of security at, say, NJFTP, is usually far higher than, say, Holiday World.

Had to take the belt off one of two times? Unexpected security actions. Not routine each time. Random.

Yet, attackers like soft targets. Only metal detect on special events. Fine, they pick June 17.

The best security is both visible and not. The attacker needs only one lapse.

I feel far safer in most "sketchy" parks than I do at cultural iconic areas that are cherished celebrations of America.

I fear the day that a park suffers a major attack.

And whether or not a guest has to remove a belt will not be even a tiny factor going forward.

Parks? Admissions?

In some places, malls, stadiums...

Too much said already...I'm out of this one, for now.

• Like 11

Ok boys and girls. Let's put it this way. If there is a metal detector and they ask you to remove your belt; you have the option to comply or to leave. Simple as that. Either be compliant and enjoy your day, or turn around and walk away; as the rest of us "safely"enjoy riding some coasters......mic drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Swung by the park during my long break between classes to check out things.

The slides look sharp.  The actual slide pieces are going up, including the drop door portions of the taller slides and some of the smaller tube slides.  Having minimal water park experience, I have to say, that new slide looks pretty tall.  I still remember thinking the old Fast Track slides were tall, but these new ones take the cake.  Loving the colors, too.

I also love the new entrance.  However, I noticed that the only new paving is for the new entrance.  The rest of the parking lot is still the same. :(

Bummer.

Also, I have a question- Will there still be 2 parking lot exits (north and south) or will there be only 1 exit?

• Like 1

Hmmm, Interesting.

Nearmap is a site that has the latest in satelite images.

Their latest image of Kings Island was March 18th 2016 and I found an interesting piece of candy

d772f04827254087601a22a124348df4.png

What are they doing to the sign?

Also..

f081bee4e3776bbd2672a7bffa8bbb00.jpg

Overview of the new tolls :D

ANND!

4f48d49e616951491e331226f4f991d6.jpg

The overview of the new Rivertown updates.

0b7fe75797ad83f214f47d83de5db00b.png

As well, when I looked around the park for anything else I could possibly find, I found this. I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I think there is something new here. Specifically on the bottom left corner right next to the Eiffel Tower image.

---

There is a lot going on that we previously didn't know about...
  • Like 14