Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

I have been debating on what to say regarding opening day.  Not wanting to come across as overly negative just to be negative, but also not wanting to sugar coat the experience.

As a family we always approach opening day as a time to walk around the park for a few hours see whats new and ride a few rides.  We set our expectations low, especially with nice weather, because we know its the first day with real crowds.  This year was awful.  I feel that I should just leave it at that, but...  Food lines were insane, service at food locations was horrible and big surprise food quality was bordering disgusting.  The lack of staffing at places like RHOFG was laughable, the Reds bullpen thought it was a joke.

Instead the trend I really started to notice the last year or so continues.  Food Service employees who are under trained, undermotivated, and under staffed.  Are we sure a Kinzel doesn't run this department?  We had to opt for dinner at the Chicken Shack because it had one of the few food service lines under an hour, still a bad decision because the chicken there is just weird.  I almost wonder if the fryers were turned up to speed production of the chicken because the breading was almost burnt yet the insides were on the verge of not being done.  Then again who do you complain too, because supervisors were non existence?  This isn't a one time issue but a continuous decline at KI of food service for all in house locations.  Not a good sign.

The new park entrance is a mess.  Seriously how is there no left turn arrow when coming from the North?  This is going to be a very dangerous intersection come the busy days of Summer.  Also the new toll plaza is very nice yet the fresh pavement dumps you in to the broken faded old parking lot and navigation outside of the toll plaza is bad.  How can you instal such a nice entrance and ignore the mess the parking lot is?  The parking lot needs repaving and painted severely.  

Yes there were some good moments from the day, but now is not the time to discuss them.  Opening Day is always a great day because it marks the end of the off season, but I am unsettled by the trend that continues year after year at KI.  The guest experience is going downhill.  Yes they have lots of great rides that cater to the family but the overall service and experience within the park is less stellar every year.

• Like 7

Part of it is the road construction on Kings Island Drive. That part will eventually go away.

Part of it is guest unfamiliarity. That, too, will go away. More slowly.

Part of it is guests, mostly early in the day, either accidentally or on purpose, sneaking into the exits. ( Saves $18 if you don't have a parking pass. And it's faster. Or a honest mistake) This is a SERIOUS problem. To add to this, to exit the south exit that time of day, you must cross incoming park traffic that thinks you are trying to cut line. It gets really ugly really fast.

I think these will work. Lol

8e1eceae3f09352a6530058e6f62d2c6.jpg

• Like 1

I've already suggested those to the park.

Problem is you then would have disabled cars sitting in the entry lanes.

If the park had tried to poorly integrate the new entrance with the old south exit, it couldn't have done a better job at creating unnecessary confusion and opportunities for purposeful or inadvertent parking toll skipping.

• Like 6

The new park entrance is a mess.  Seriously how is there no left turn arrow when coming from the North?  This is going to be a very dangerous intersection come the busy days of Summer.

For everyone like RailRider who is complaining about the lack of a left turn lane: it's coming. Excerpt from the first paragraph at http://www.imaginewesternrow.com/projects/kings-island-drive-improvements :

Improvements also include the addition of a left turn lane into Kings Island for southbound traffic, new medians, new curbs and gutters, new traffic signals, overhead signage, [...]

So yes, a left turn lane is coming. They just haven't finished it. I'm going to hazard a guess that it will come with the new medians, which the traffic pattern was changed on Friday to accommodate work on. That work is expected to be completed in June. The overhead signage mentioned in that quote will also likely help to reduce confusion.

• Like 2

There is a left turn lane now. The problem is lack of a left turn arrow, meaning often only a couple cars get through per light cycle.

There is often a steady stream of traffic coming from the south, at which time no one can turn left until that traffic stops for the yellow light (and then only assuming they do).

Adding to the problem, the lane to turn into isn't the most clearly defined thing, it isn't visually distinct from the exit lane from any distance. The transition to it can't be taken with much speed because of its shape, leading to possible problems if a left turner thinks they have time before oncoming traffic but have to slow suddenly to actually enter. I had been sitting examining the new entrance for a few minutes Friday, not too far back in the turn lane, while we waited for the tolls to actually open. I honestly couldn't tell exactly where I was supposed to be turning into until I was in the midst of making my turn.

All of which could quickly make the left turn lane overload to the point it is useless as well...

• Like 8

^

Correct, the left turn lane exists it is the lack of the green arrow, which is what I originally stated.  Also from the looks of the signal that is hung it will not incorporate a left arrow.  The shape of the turn in, is basically 90 degrees because they have those stupid plastic poles extended out so far.  Those will be short lived because I imagine they will be run over faster than they can be replaced, but as of now they make the turn in from the North very slow which is a great idea as you are trying to dodge fast moving traffic coming from the South.  

• Like 3

If anyone else hasn't done so,  go check out this site http://queencitydisco.com/ .  It was posted on KICentral's Facebook page.  Type in "Kings Island Air Show" (should be under the Lost Airport of Lebanon) and "Son of Beast Trackwalkers".  They have some amazing pictures I've never seen before.  Must have been wild watching the skydivers coming down into International Street!  :D

• Like 5

There is a left turn lane now. The problem is lack of a left turn arrow, meaning often only a couple cars get through per light cycle.

There is often a steady stream of traffic coming from the south, at which time no one can turn left until that traffic stops for the yellow light (and then only assuming they do).

Adding to the problem, the lane to turn into isn't the most clearly defined thing, it isn't visually distinct from the exit lane from any distance. The transition to it can't be taken with much speed because of its shape, leading to possible problems if a left turner thinks they have time before oncoming traffic but have to slow suddenly to actually enter. I had been sitting examining the new entrance for a few minutes Friday, not too far back in the turn lane, while we waited for the tolls to actually open. I honestly couldn't tell exactly where I was supposed to be turning into until I was in the midst of making my turn.

All of which could quickly make the left turn lane overload to the point it is useless as well...

Ah, my mistake. I've been a bit exhausted the past few days, so I accidentally read "arrow" as "lane". *slinks back to corner* :P

• Like 4

I've briefly read (on here) that there were headaches for folks coming from the north, trying to turn left into KI's new parking entrance last weekend. My son and I are going camping this weekend, so my wife is having her sister watch our newborn Saturday morning and she plans to hit the park for a few hours with our almost 4 year old daughter. I'm not sure if she'll be able to hit ERT or not (w/ young kids its often slow going, plus she's not sure if she could convince here sister to come over that early). If she does do ERT, how much of Planet Snoopy is open? Our daughter just hit 40" near the end of last season, don't know if she's grown up to 42" yet or not (though I think that only opens up SR&R IIRC from when our son made that journey). If she does make it in early, is it worth the effort? Mom didn't get to ride any rides last year (note the newborn mentioned above) so she's looking forward to some rides on Woodstock Express, Viking Fury, Scrambler and everything else she can ride on with our daughter.

If she doesn't hit ERT, but say aims to get to the park around 10 - 10:30 just as traffic is at its peak, she should find an alternate route to approach the park from the south? Is there an easy way to do that coming to the park via I-71 S if that is the best plan? It may have just been 1 or 2 complaints, perhaps not a big issue at all, typically we are mid-week people in the evening when traffic into the park is minimal, but I'm coming from the south at that point, so I'd like to find the best approach for her. She's a teach and off in the summer, so we arrive separately in the summertime.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/season-pass-benefits/early-ride-time

There are 3 "kids area" rides tat open early for ert. Keep in mind that ert is only 30 minutes this year, so you really only have time to walk to and ride 2 rides before the park opens to the general public.

• Like 3

I agree that the left turn into the parking lot from the north is problematic.  Those poles made it confusing as to where exactly to turn into.  Hopefully, they will install a left arrow at that light.

Also, I did not like how they had multiple turn offs after proceeding past the toll booth, but had these all blocked off, so all the cars had to merge into a single line.  Upon leaving the park around 12pm on Saturday via the south exit, there was not a clear exit path to exit the parking lot as the lines of incoming cars were being funneled past the south exit.

I to agree that they needed to at least paint the parking lot lines.  Hopefully they will do that soon, as the spots I parked in on the preview night and on opening day were barely visible as spots, because the lines were so faded.

• Like 8

Okay so I didn't get to go to preview opening weekend so some one help me visualize what is going on in the parking lot because it doesn't make sense to me. After I pay the toll, I go down (south) the row parallel to 71 and once I pass the Kings Island sign/drop off area am I allowed to enter the rows to park or do I have to proceed all of the way to the south exit area, turn left, go towards the park, and hen left or right and then proceed into the aisles to park?

It can't be any worse than if you wanted to leave via the south exit and you had the people cutting diagonal across the parking lot via the old south entrance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That is exactly what I described on opening day when I left at 11.

Entering cars were required to pass the south exit (which other cars were attempting to use an entry) before they were allowed to enter parking spaces.

What will happen when you enter? Who knows? Surely the park won't pull that stunt again. Pushing entering cars across an exit is certainly inane.

• Like 7

I must have missed your post Terp! Not like we went from 75 to 84 pages in a few days haha!

And That sounds like a headache. Might wait another weekend. Based on discussions I am already starting to regret the food plan for my son...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Here you go:

Exiting the park at 11 AM is a nightmare. Two lanes of incoming cars, a police officer stopping DOZENS of cars from coming in the exit free (I watched at least six come in that way at 8:50.)

Cars honking, horns beeping, traffic cones...

CLEAR signs pointing to use this exit.

And the line of cars to get in was backed up at least half a mile on Western Row.

Sad.

• Like 2

That is exactly what I described on opening day when I left at 11.

Entering cars were required to pass the south exit (which other cars were attempting to use an entry) before they were allowed to enter parking spaces.

What will happen when you enter? Who knows? Surely the park won't pull that stunt again. Pushing entering cars across an exit is certainly inane.

Unfortunately I think that "stunt" will be pulled time and time again - once Soak City opens!

The current path to get to Soak City from the now one and only entrance for guests is to proceed down that lane that parallels I-71 all the way to the south exit and then veer left right before entering the curbed area of the exit to proceed to Soak City.  Such path directly conflicts with those trying to exit.

They are "forced" to keep entry path where it is now as I believe as they do not want to send hundreds of cars down the lane between parking and the park as too many pedestrians become moving targets trying to get into the park.  The park would rather inconvenience the few dozen or so trying to leave the park at 11am than the thousands trying to walk safely to the park from their car at 11am.

I just don't think much thought went into the reconfiguration and now they have this mess.

• Like 4

^

Agreed it does not seem much thought has gone in to the mess that is the parking lot.  Severely needing repaved and painted, lets change the entrance and make the new traffic flow completely different and have zero employees directing traffic after they pay for parking.  Great move in my book.  Then again some new pavement and a few arrows here and there would go a long way in helping.

• Like 1

Has Anyone here upgraded to preferred parking? I just wonder if it's a headache gettin in there now.

As for the pavement, it's no worse than most of the beautiful parking lots we have here at home, so that's never been an issue for me.

It never took me more than just a few minutes to get in or out of the lot before. So here's hoping they get it fixed rather quickly.

I have the utmost confidence in them.

• Like 2

So here's hoping they get it fixed rather quickly.

I have the utmost confidence in them.

Remember too, that how it looks on paper during the planning stage is not always how it will look to guests coming in and out of the park, especially those that are here for the first time. There are obviously some inflow/outflow issues that either were not foreseen, or were foreseen but were part of the overall improvement plan. Either way, we know hope that Management is aware of the parking/traffic issues and are working on mitigating them. Remember that its brand new for the season and still an overall work in progress.

I definitely think the lot needed the new entry, but also agree that more needs to be done. I also have the confidence that CF will finish making the necessary improvements in time.

• Like 5

As someone who has been involved in the construction industry for a good long time, the "engineer" that came up with this debacle should be sacked.  Im almost wondering if the team who designed this, came from RCCA, because I am trying to convince myself that there cant be that many BAD designers/engineers out there.  Let us start with the ridiculously narrow entrance lane that has already been spoken about here... actually lets not, because I cant find the proper words that can be used on a PG forum that can describe it.  With that, let us skip to the gates, that are placed WAY too closely to the entrance/KI Drive.  Those need to be moved at least 50% closer to the toll booths, to allow vehicles to line up and actually get out of the way of/off of KI Drive.  Now, from there, the already mentioned fact of getting allllllllll the way over to Soak City from the ONE entrance, and the problems thats going to cause crossing the south exit.  I will pass on mentioning the other many issues that have already been mentioned, but one last thing I will say is that they would have been far better off "splitting the difference" and moving the South entrance 50% as far North as they did, and leaving the perfectly functional North entrance just as it was.  Maybe, by doing that, they could have resurfaced the lot, or at least properly patched it and repainted the lines so the new entrance didnt look like it does now, which is lipstick on a pig.  I promise that there is NO way a competent designer would not have seen each and every problem that we have mentioned here, and in seeing them, there is no way the design would have stood.  Im not sure whether to call this a soup-sandwich, or a football bat..... both are equally effective.

• Like 6

Noticed a commercial for Kings Island on the TV... Banshee, Banshee, Banshee... Wait what's that?!

Who recognizes this coaster?

ea7918efab53ded6d2012306dd2a45d6.jpg

There's also a shot down from the top of some other park's Drop Tower, but it was less jarring than the coaster for me.

Or, you know, maybe I should have posted this on the decoding thread. It could be a leak of what is to come in 2017 ;)

• Like 11