Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Leaving the park about 11pm tonight (got last train of the night on The Beast) going out the south exit, a car pulls in and is coming straight toward me as I was leaving. Fortunately I was able to get over to prevent an accident. 

Are two DO NOT ENTER signs on poles (and a sandwich board saying the same) and a NO RIGHT TURN sign next to the traffic signal enough?

• Like 10

Just want to give a quick expression of thanks to the Diamondback crew this evening.  That crew was wonderful tonight - moving safely, quickly, and sending out trains in extremely prompt fashion.  I don't think I saw one train stack there in about an hour stretch starting around 8:15.  I would love to see that kind of effort the rest of the season, because the shorter lines benefit everyone.  Excellent job tonight Diamondback crew! 

• Like 12

Leaving the park about 11pm tonight (got last train of the night on The Beast) going out the south exit, a car pulls in and is coming straight toward me as I was leaving. Fortunately I was able to get over to prevent an accident. 

Are two DO NOT ENTER signs on poles (and a sandwich board saying the same) and a NO RIGHT TURN sign next to the traffic signal enough?

Makes me think of this.  lol

• Like 8

Observations on April 29th that were not there at previous 2016 operating days (or maybe I didn't notice lol):

• Lot now has been striped.  Hopefully the new striping will prevent most from parking right up to the travel lane with the clearly marked diagonal lines.
  • International Street LaRosa's added a queue line to help take some of the line into the "restaurant".  In addition, they changed the drink machines to fill yourself and added 2 cash registers.  It is fairly tight in there now, but it seemed to speed the process up.
  • Brand new stone entrance that stated Kings Island is now missing the Kings Island lettering.
  • Even on the light day attendance wise, when I visited food stands, all the registers were staffed on the side serving food.
  • PR Don was making Skyline due to understaffing (or maybe a promo video lol)
  • I realize it was a light day attendance wise, but overall things seemed to run a little smoother.
  • Like 12

Someone mentioned the structure at the new entrance previously, I believe but I forgot all about it until I got to the park last night.

All signage has been taken off and there are cans of paint and scaffolding behind the structure.

Personally, I think it looks fine the way it is!

• Like 6

Observations on April 29th that were not there at previous 2016 operating days (or maybe I didn't notice lol):

• Lot now has been striped.  Hopefully the new striping will prevent most from parking right up to the travel lane with the clearly marked diagonal lines.
  • International Street LaRosa's added a queue line to help take some of the line into the "restaurant".  In addition, they changed the drink machines to fill yourself and added 2 cash registers.  It is fairly tight in there now, but it seemed to speed the process up.
  • Brand new stone entrance that stated Kings Island is now missing the Kings Island lettering.
  • Even on the light day attendance wise, when I visited food stands, all the registers were staffed on the side serving food.
  • PR Don was making Skyline due to understaffing (or maybe a promo video lol)
  • I realize it was a light day attendance wise, but overall things seemed to run a little smoother.

Oh so that was Don that served me my coneys! I thought it looked like him but then I though it may just be someone who looks similar.

• Like 4

Driving by the park right now. I can confirm there is water in the new slide complex. I repeat the new slide complex has water.

Possibly related: there is also water almost everywhere.

(Insert picture of rain filled radar)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I just lost it! Best post I've seen in a while!

• Like 8

Driving by the park right now. I can confirm there is water in the new slide complex. I repeat the new slide complex has water.

Send that water to The Beach, some of their slides actually need more water at times.  

• Like 5

Good to see that the ride reopened relatively quickly after the downtime.

Not to single you out, but just so everyone remembers from last season: this site's moderators requested that posts about temporary downtime be avoided (with the possible exception of the wait times thread). Rides are designed to stop for many reasons as a safety feature, and maintenance usually gets them restarted quickly. Such occurrences generally aren't notable; when someone reads the post, the downtime will probably be over.

Obviously, extended or frequent downtime (eg. Eiffel Tower being closed on Opening Day) is a different matter entirely.

• Like 5

Thanks. I was driving by the park around 12 when I posted that and the skies had just opened up. I figured someone would appreciate that and crack a smile.

• Like 8

Been to the park many, many times over the years and perhaps I have not been paying attention but today was the first day I have noticed the people parking at the end of each row illegally, on the yellow lined areas next to the trash cans that clearly is marked for no parking, receive a parking citation. Each car parked that way had one on their windshield, about 5 that I could see. Perhaps this has gone on before but it was a pleasant surprise and probably a unpleasant one after a day at the park for some.

Maybe this is how they are paying for our giga log flume.

• Like 7

Been to the park many, many times over the years and perhaps I have not been paying attention but today was the first day I have noticed the people parking at the end of each row illegally, on the yellow lined areas next to the trash cans that clearly is marked for no parking, receive a parking citation. Each car parked that way had one on their windshield, about 5 that I could see. Perhaps this has gone on before but it was a pleasant surprise and probably a unpleasant one after a day at the park for some.

Made by TOGO and Golden Horse!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well the lines were pretty much gone in recent years, so it is easy to see why folks parked in those areas.  I had witnessed where security would put the garbage cans in the middle of the illegal spot, and then watch people pull up, get out of car and move can, and then park in the striped spot.

Now with the new lines and stripes there should be no excuse, except many folks feel entitled and the rules do not apply to them.

I don't think the citations they received amount to anything - unless it changed, I think in years past it would state something like don't do again or risk being towed.  I wish they would just tow immediately.  No excuse parking in clearly defined no parking spots.

Ironically, they striped the lines improving site lines to leave the rows the same year they changed the vehicle traffic pattern such that vehicle traffic is now a minimum in those lanes, at least compared to previous years where that was the main path!  So parking in those spots isn't as much of an accident waiting to happen as in years past. 

Also ironically, the parking spots on the new pathway go right up to the new travel lane, thus creating the difficult site line of pulling your car out to see around the parked cars and risk getting the nose clipped.

They should have shifted the parking stalls towards KI so that a striped no parking stall on the new main enter/exit pathway closest to Kings Island Drive could have been placed to improve site lines trying to leave a parking row.  They could have shifted the parking stripes a half stall, thus creating a spot not large enough to park in on both ends of the no parking striped areas.

• Like 3

There are Kings Island police officers. I don't know if they can issue parking tickets but they aren't rent a cops they are actual police officers from the surrounding area of Kings Island such as Mason and Maineville

I was a Security Officer for the park last season. So I'll try to clear this up since I've never seen anyone fully describe it. That said I 100% refuse to divulge anything about how KIPD and KISD (or the park for that matter) operate for very obvious reasons! This post is just meant as a clarification because this stuff is all public information.

Kings Island has a Security Department and a Police Department. The latter is composed of officers that are members of other police departments as you mentioned. The City of Mason also rotates their officers into the park to provide assistance to the KIPD. The key thing to note is that all police officers in the park or parking lot do have the authority to enforce laws and regulations in the State of Ohio.

Anyways, obviously follow all rules including the park policy and parking laws in order to keep you and others safe and able to fully enjoy the day at the park. Hope this helps!  ;)

• Like 10

Yesterday I had my first 'lights on' ride on FoF and let me say that it's been a highlight of this season for sure.. It's a very unique experience and truly amazing. Anyways, as I was riding I looked around close to the ground to see what was stored in the ride building. This is what I saw:

1. Curved tubes (assuming coaster railing.)

2. A pair of seats from the Crypt

3. A thing of green and black seats. These seats I did not recognize and they were in the center of the building. They didn't Resemble a type of seat on any of the coasters at KI so far, so maybe they are from the old go karts?

• Like 8

There are Kings Island police officers. I don't know if they can issue parking tickets but they aren't rent a cops they are actual police officers from the surrounding area of Kings Island such as Mason and Maineville

I was a Security Officer for the park last season. So I'll try to clear this up since I've never seen anyone fully describe it. That said I 100% refuse to divulge anything about how KIPD and KISD (or the park for that matter) operate for very obvious reasons! This post is just meant as a clarification because this stuff is all public information.

Kings Island has a Security Department and a Police Department. The latter is composed of officers that are members of other police departments as you mentioned. The City of Mason also rotates their officers into the park to provide assistance to the KIPD. The key thing to note is that all police officers in the park or parking lot do have the authority to enforce laws and regulations in the State of Ohio.

Anyways, obviously follow all rules including the park policy and parking laws in order to keep you and others safe and able to fully enjoy the day at the park. Hope this helps! ;)

I used to know alot of security guards and KI police officers from when I worked on international street. I used to go to the security office for restroom breaks and occasionally take a smoke break with then. That's the only reason I knew they were actual police officers. But did not know they could issue tickets thanks for clearing that up! I've always wondered about that I parked in 30 minute parking almost daily when I worked there and always worried about getting a ticket but only got warnings

• Like 3