Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Someone says KI is adding the tunnel back on Woodstock Express = me happy

Someone says KI didn't say that, just said they were doing track work = me no longer happy (though happy to see the ride getting the TLC it deserves)

Is it wrong that a mid 30s father of 3 would be equally excited by the addition of a tunnel and re-branding of Woodstock Express to The Beastie as he would with the addition of a 300 foot coaster?  No, no it is not.

And since Don is reading, 1 comment: had there been a youth T-shirt available in the store that said something to the effect of I survived the Great Pumpkin Coaster or I survived Woodstock Express with a KI logo on them, my 3 year old daughter would have had both last season.  Just sayin'

• Like 11

Ok, so we know they're changing WWC's queue, and that they're building a new funnel cake stand.  It doesn't seem like either one of those necessitated the tearing down of the old elephant ear stand, or did I miss something??

This isn't to bemoan the destruction of the building, just speculating.

• Like 2

I always felt the area where the old funnel cake stand stood, was not a great area.  Almost nobody went under the awning to sit and eat or rest and relax.  It was just a wasted space back there.  Wasted space in a high-traffic area.  I also wonder how many people blew right past the entrance to WWC not even realizing it was there?  More than a few.  

• Like 10

I always felt the area where the old funnel cake stand stood, was not a great area.  Almost nobody went under the awning to sit and eat or rest and relax.  It was just a wasted space back there.  Wasted space in a high-traffic area.  I also wonder how many people blew right past the entrance to WWC not even realizing it was there?  More than a few.  

Guilty as charged.  We ate one there once, but the rest of the time was either heading the to Beast or the often unopened Coke station at the train. (Dodging the basketball game at the same time)

• Like 3

I remember eating food back there and being grateful for the fans...in the 80's...and it was not funnel cakes or elephant ears.  It was a meal with the family.

I also remember riding WWC with the famdamily, and after getting off, my Dad's tennis shoes were bubbling---Mom had washed them.  It was quite noticeable and we were laughing, and some others joined in.  He never caught on until Mom told him later.

See, this is why people have a love affair with places like KI.  Everytime I think about WWC, I can think about those good times so many years ago.  And I bet if the same thing happened to a family in 2016, they would laugh about it 30 years later.  (give or take a few years.)

• Like 11

1 month left and still no phone call... :(

They usually call about mid-February, sometimes early February. I believe, of my experience, I got my call to set up an interview with them, around the 14th. (I hope this helps!)

It happened quite often as I worked there. Many people wouldn't realize that they were just about next to it when they asked me about the location of the ride. I'm glad I see that they're putting in a new entrance for the canyon!

By the way, Just a simple, yet good question. Are they getting rid of the smoking area between Rivertown restroom smoking area, and the Diamondback smoking area? It certainly looks like it.

• Like 2

I'm not one to start rumors (often)

But I got a message 2 weeks ago stating that someone could not find the Fast Lane information on the website...

Today I did a search on the site, and I found that there is absolutely no information about Fast Lane available anywhere, and trying the Fast Lane web address brings up nothing.

I figured that they were updating it, but when I went to other sites operated by Cedar Fair, I found that their Fast Lane stuff is still available. There are also no tickets available for Fast Lane at Kings Island.

The Fast Lane symbols on the Thrill-Rides, and Family-Ride sections are still there, but that could mean anything.

Figure I'd let you all know on the situation right now that I've been trying to look into.

• Like 6

I think I posted this in another thread, but some 2016 Fast Lane (Plus) passes have already been sold in a ticket combo deal around Black Friday.

Prices & ride selections typically aren't made available until near the beginning of the season. Since it's getting a new entrance, I wonder if White Water Canyon will be added?

• Like 7

I might be in the minority, but I'd be shocked---and I mean really, massively shocked---not to mention a bit upset if they eliminated Fast Lane altogether.  I absolutely love it on the rare occasions I indulge.  When I don't it doesn't bother me.  I'm more concerned how they'll price it this year, and the Fast Lane vs. Fast Lane Plus lineup.

• Like 6

I'd be extremely upset too. Living so far away, we only get to visit one or two parks like every other year. We've tried it without Fast Lane Plus before and we didn't get to do hardly anything. Fast Lane Plus lines still take 30-60 minutes (at least at CP they did, nearly 2 hours for Maverick!) but that's better than standing in line all day and riding two rides then having to go home.

• Like 3

Prices & ride selections typically aren't made available until near the beginning of the season.

This was my thought as well. But when I looked on other sites, they still have their information available. Especially Cedar Point, who is actually getting a new ride for the year. I just, don't know. I tried to check everything out to be sure before even making the post on the concern.

• Like 2

^ On the Twitter website, you can get a link by clicking the date/time in the upper right corner of the tweet.

This is as good of place as any to mention that, per KIC policy, any embedded media (photos/videos) from park social media sources must be accompanied by a link to the original post.

• Like 4

One of the train tour guides last season did say that the lake was the source of water for WWC, one of my rides on the train. I'd never paid any attention to it previously.

Also, the Banshee Brew festival is included on the events and promotions page, along with the Food Truck Festival.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/events-and-promotions

• Like 4

I really hope so, I personally hate the bridge to walk across!

For me it seems to bottleneck a bit. Either that, or the Slow Walkers of America are just drawn to that bridge

(Speaking of which- Terp, you probably already knew this, but Bob Elliot of "Bob and Ray" has died. Sad for OTR fans.)

• Like 2

One of the train tour guides last season did say that the lake was the source of water for WWC, one of my rides on the train. I'd never paid any attention to it previously.

Also, the Banshee Brew festival is included on the events and promotions page, along with the Food Truck Festival.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/events-and-promotions

The food truck festival was a very large hit for the park last year, Not surprised to see it again this year.

• Like 3

Fast Lane Plus lines still take 30-60 minutes (at least at CP they did, nearly 2 hours for Maverick!) but that's better than standing in line all day and riding two rides then having to go home.

This is precisely the reason that I've never shelled out the money to get Fast Lane at Cedar Point.  I've been to Cedar Point on moderate days and seen 45 minute Fast Lane waits for Millennium Force and Maverick.  I don't plan on shelling out any money on Fast Lane there until they raise the price enough where it cuts down the Fast Lane wait times on the most popular coasters to more reasonable levels.  They're heading in the right direction with this - last year there were many days that Fast Lane Plus was over $100, but even then there are still lengthy Fast Lane lines.  Why shell out all that cash and still have to physically wait in long lines?

• Like 4

I do it because I'll take an hour wait over a 3 hour wait anytime. :P

But I agree they do need to up the price. If I'm going to a park that I don't live near and get to experience all the time, I would gladly pay up to 200 bucks a person for Fast Lane Plus passes if it meant shorter lines. It's just worth it to me, because a park visit or two is typically the only vacation I get, and I want to enjoy every minute possible. So we save up and that's our big gift to ourselves for the year. A higher price point would really filter it down to the people who want it the most.

I remember getting Quick Queue at Busch Gardens in Tampa back during spring break 2011. WOW. It was a very different experience, there was no waiting at all except on the rides that weren't eligible for Quick Queue. You just went in a different line and got on the ride. I also don't remember it being incredibly expensive. I just looked up the price and it's 20.99 throughout most of Feb/March per Quick Queue pass. How are they doing this so much better than Cedar Fair at SUCH a low price point?

(Note: I haven't been to BGT since 2011 so this system could have turned into a complete disaster these days and I wouldn't know.)

• Like 3

February is a very slow month for the Orlando-Tampa area.  Presidents Day weekend provides some uptick, but not enough to really move the meter.  My guess is the $20.99 price is enough to entice locals to head out to the park, at least until the Spring Break hoards begin arriving in a few weeks.  Also, keep in mind, those parks are 365 day operations, so if the price is lower in the slower months, the park figures that the revenue will be made up in other areas, or offset once the high season begins again.

• Like 2

Fast Lane Plus lines still take 30-60 minutes (at least at CP they did, nearly 2 hours for Maverick!) but that's better than standing in line all day and riding two rides then having to go home.

This is precisely the reason that I've never shelled out the money to get Fast Lane at Cedar Point.  I've been to Cedar Point on moderate days and seen 45 minute Fast Lane waits for Millennium Force and Maverick.  I don't plan on shelling out any money on Fast Lane there until they raise the price enough where it cuts down the Fast Lane wait times on the most popular coasters to more reasonable levels.  They're heading in the right direction with this - last year there were many days that Fast Lane Plus was over $100, but even then there are still lengthy Fast Lane lines.  Why shell out all that cash and still have to physically wait in long lines?

There is no way to change the wait of Fast Lane rides on moderate days no matter what. Cedar Point puts Fast Lane people into the ride line later into the line instead of waiting through the whole queue. Raising the price will not solve anything.

At Cedar Point they only allow Fast Lane people get mostly ahead of the line, and not straight to the front of the line like that of Kings Island.

Example...

Cedar Point on the left, Kings Island on the right.

EZpHAbG.png

I am going to the park tomorrow, I will take photos of the construction going on while I'm there. (If I can see it/get a decent picture of it)

• Like 5

I believe that way of Fast Lane generates more fairness for those who are not fortunate enough to buy fast pass for everyone.

I like the way they do it at Cedar Point more so than at Kings Island, since it does give off that bit of fairness that has always been needed when it comes to this type of system. It allows people to still wait in line, you just get into more of the front of the line.