Kings Island 2016 Discussion Thread

CoasterOhio

Random question. Will last years souvenir cup work this year for refills? Thanks!

I brought a water bottle into the park that I bought at the dollar tree and they wouldn't touch it. They should have a policy where as long as it's a certain size equal to their throw away cups, you can use it. Some people like me are environmental friendly and don't want to keep throwing paper cups in the trash.

• Like 1

And yet oddly enough, they will touch used souvenir cups that have been who knows where (taken into bathrooms at KI and used touched by many folks that don't wash hands after using facility) and yet that is ok for them to then give the next person a drink after touching an unsanitary cup, or worse yet, see them when short staffed then go back to preparing meals without washing hands or changing gloves?  I mean lets face it, I know many folks that never wash their cup because it isn't dishwasher safe, and I am sure that is probably the norm - splash around some water inside and pour out and call it good lol.

Just another reason why refill cups should only be allowed at self-serve refill stations that do not serve food.

and why not just use a water bottle at a water fountain?

• Like 5

^ I think we are staying in this weekend but up north looks like the best option for those wanting to hit a park today. Tommorrow doesn't look promising either. I always feel bad for the kids who were looking forward to a fun 4th and whose parents don't have the flexibility to go a few days later.

• Like 5

I spent three days in downtown Nashville TWICE as my father was too stubborn to buy advance tickets to the Grand Ole Opry--and when we got there, there never were any left.

In retrospect, he wasn't the show type, and I think he wanted to appease my mother but not actually go.

I bought a dandy AM/FM radio that I wish I still had from Gold, Silver & Co., and as a 15/16 year old, bought wonderful cheeseburgers and fries from a 21 and up only bar--and took back to the downtown flea bag hotel Dad had reserved. We saw a movie in The Tennessean--an experience I'll never forget, though I long ago forgot what movie it was.

Those two trips--horrible at the time, are among my fondest memories.

• Like 9

It's weird how that works, Terp. I have a similar "horrible at the time, yet a good memory now" type of story. I'm not all that much of a sports fan and I was even less of one when I was a kid. However, my step-dad likes sports and we'd listen to whatever local game was on while driving around. It was like torture back then, but now I think back on those times in a positive light. And I may have listened to a sports game myself while driving (but only for a few seconds :P).

• Like 3

Somewhere in here is the Health Department.

When I worked in food service, NO cups that were not provided by the food service licensee could be touched. Period.

Oddly, that's consistent with that policy.

That explains things. I'm not fond of tossing paper cups either, but now I can understand it.

I used to work at a booth where the sales were counted by the cups missing, but then, there was the jeopardy of having cups fall on the ground. A co-worker got fired because a wind gust took a stack of cups into the river, something she could not have helped.

I'll be honest at my deviance. People from food booths would come with plates of food and empty cups to trade wares. There were two rival radio personalities that, at the time, had rib joints. One joint came over with a large plate of ribs to trade for drinks, and I obliged them with their empty cups. The ribs were good, so when people asked about good ribs, I suggested the brand I had sampled.

The other radio personality, when he came to honor his little booth, came over and started to quarrel with me over not reccing HIS ribs.

"I didn't taste any to be able to tell if they were good. Send over a plate, we'll think about it." 

After that, if my beer booth were set up by his, he always sent over a plate of ribs, ( with no drink exchange) to make sure we'd tell people where to get good ribs.

It kinda backfired, because people were asking for Good! ribs, so I still sent them somewhere else.

• Like 5

Some observations from my recent visit a few days ago:

• Racer and Beast both are not allowing '1 click' rides anymore. For myself (a larger rider), I can still fit in, but it's definitely a bit more cramped. One of the two (Racer, if memory serves) has the bars "placed" slightly different and is a bit tighter.     Both of these rides were designed with buzz bars (and no seatbelts, correct me if I'm wrong), which are similar to about 1 to 1.5 clicks of a PTC bar. In addition, I haven't seen this rule at Cedar Point. I'm not happy about this new "stapling", and I really don't see a reason why it would be implemented now.

• Banshee's crew is still lightning-fast, with a few exceptions. They count down to when they are able to dispatch, and sometimes even go so quick they have to wait. Diamondback still has seatbelts, sadly, and they are still buried deep in the seat (they really could be implemented better if they REALLY need them.) It doesn't always stack, and when it does, it's usually stacked a fairly short time, but its capacity is much lower than Banshee IMO.

• Diamondback still has its trim brake and MCBR going off. I'd really like them to let up on that, considering that the third hill could be turned into a semi-ejector airtime hill and the last two hills are completely forceless in their current state.

• Speaking of Banshee, you can barely hear the music going up the lift. I really miss that, it provided a great buildup to the scream (still one of my favorite parts of the ride :P)

• FoF's new lighting package in the queue that syncs with the pre-show is awesome, as is the dramatic music in the spaghetti bowl and brake run, which I haven't heard in a few years. It could be a bit louder, particularly in the brake run. The MCBR still nearly stops you, but I could have sworn it doesn't stop you quite as bad as it did last year.

• Vortex was closed for the last 2 days of my visit. Has it re-opened yet?

• Land clearing is underway near the last stretch of the train on the right side. I'm sure this has been discussed in the 2017 thread.
  • Like 2

Beast and Racer have never allowed one click rides with the "new" restraints.

I don't recall them ever being so strict as they were... maybe I'm confusing one and two clicks? Either way, I don't remember them doing that the last few years.

And either way, the "new" restraints are a tragedy. #BringBackBuzzBars

Yeah, it'd be easy to actually stand up in a PTC car with only 1 click.  

Perhaps. Although not all PTC bars "click" at the same spot, IMO. Racer seems to be tighter than Beast to me.

• Like 1