Can you tell your on ride experience on Firehawk at Kings Island?

Blackhole6670

For me, it's not thrilling enough to make the discomfort worth it. By discomfort, I mean it feels like all my weight is being held up by the pointy front of my shin bones.

Also, I find the time spent laid back in the seat, at the beginning and end of the ride, brings to mind bad memories of being at the dentist. Whether this is a trigger for you may depend on whether you've sat through a root canal before.

That said, I do feel pretty secure in the harness. I've been told that it can be uncomfortable/painful for women who are better endowed, though.

• Like 5

Firehawk is one of my favorite coasters at KI. I know most people disagree, but I actually prefer it over B&M flyers. I feel perfectly safe in the harness, yet still vulnerable enough to give it a crazy thrilling experience that I love. It's such a unique experience that I really enjoy. Might as well try it out! Either you'll realize you hate it and won't go on it again, or you'll really enjoy it and will be sure to go in it in the future! Only one way to find out! 

• Like 8

The first time we rode it, it scared the hell out of my wife and myself (we still laugh at the picture below).  My son loved it.  Now, it is one of my favorite rides at the park.  I recommend everyone try it.

Myself, about the only part that I do not care for is the wait to start once you are titled back.  The constraints are pretty good.  You sit down and have two over the shoulder restraints that buckle in the middle.  Do not worry about it coming open.  I have yet to see it and tried it myself (in a safe place - i am not crazy).  They come around and place a second restraint that goes over your shins and above your thighs.  This will also lock in place.  There are hand grips on side, if needed.  I will say you will use them the first time (I was white knuckles all the way).  Getting on and off requires some balance, as the platform across is not too large (you sit 4 across).

I am a large fellow and I have never had an issue with it.  My wife has had knee surgery and sometimes the restraints bother her.  I have only seen one person take the "Walk of Shame".

As for riding it, I suggest hitting it early on.  While they do run two cars (which it pretty cool how they do it), loading and unloading takes about as much time as the ride.  I have seen the queues fill up.  If you want to Fast Lane this, you will need to upgrade and get the Fast Lane Plus.  Even then, I have seen a line.

Also, there are no bins on this ride, but lockers near the entrance.  I would not suggest keeping anything on you unless it is pretty secured.  I have seen several phones laying on the ground and heard a lot of change fall from pockets.  If I have anything on my on this, it is secured in cargo shorts / pant pockets that dont open unless you want them to.

I wont ruin it for you, but I highly recommend you give it a go.  As a family, this is the 3rd most ridden ride at the park that we have done.

I hope this answers your questions

12466244_10208123212623833_1138225909743

• Like 10

Firehawk is a fantastic ride, and yes, it is worth it! If anything, it's a piece of history that is indicative of it's time period. It feels a bit scary once you flip over the first time, but it's a fun ride and one of my favorites at KI. If you want airtime on the loop, sit in the back. I'd recommend either the back or the middle. Enjoy your flight!  :D

EDIT: Oh yes, as Gannersdaddy said, please do ride this first thing as lines fill up quick! Also, loading process is somewhat slow. What looks like a super-short line could be 15-30 minutes. So, yeah, if you're going to strap in for the X-treme Flight, do it first thing! 

• Like 6

My mindset is that I will ride any ride at least once, likely twice, so I can form a personal opinion. I've learned that watching a ride can be very different from the ride experience. (Mean Streak and Magnum, I'm looking at you two without a smile on my face.)

That being said, I'm not Firehawk's biggest fan. I really dislike the sensation of resting on the chest restraints. I logically know that the restraints won't fail but it still terrifies me. I've learned to breathe in, adjust my upper body a bit, while pushing the chest restraint as close to my chest as possible - doing this before they lock the train makes me feel more secure. Again, it's all in my head but it gets me through my handful of rides each season. I second Magenta Lizard about resting on your shins - that is one of my friend's biggest complaints.

My oldest nephew finally rode it during Coasterstock and loved it. We rode together twice in a row and he then rode it a third time while I took a spin on Flight of Fear. He loves the flying sensation and laughs at my reaction.

This really is a ride that you are going to have to ride for yourself. Give it a chance and it could become your favorite!

• Like 8

Sit in an outside seat. The antirollbacks are LOUD!

I enjoy the ride. Not enough to warrant the long wait times but if we catch it with short lines, my kids and I will give it a go.

But if you ride, you have to ride it Superman style!

• Like 5

I really like Firehawk.  

*For me, I find it better to ride early in the day.  This ride takes a good bit of time to load/unload so the line can take forever if you wait too late. *The harness isn't uncomfortable at first, but, if I tense up during the ride, I find that my shins will get bruised.  Over time, I've learned to just relax and not brace myself.  It's much better that way.  

*I do like it when they lay the ride back.  For those first couple of minutes, the head is just a bit lower than the body, and it feels good on the spine.  :)  *

*I don't believe the ride feels scary, but one's first time on a new coaster always seems a little daunting, doesn't it?  

*The jolt when the ride stops will take you by surprise the first couple of times you ride it

*I would recommend the ride.  But then, I recommend that everyone try every ride at least once.

• Like 3

I enjoy the ride overall, and will ride it if the line is reasonable. The one thing that I'm not crazy about is the killer headaches I get from the massive amounts of blood flow that shifts away from my head, then back, then away, then back again as the train slams into the brake run. I feel really comfortable with the restraints, even when I was larger.

• Like 2

Even if I hated it, I'd still recommend you ride it... Even the most widely loathed rides have someone that likes them, and you might be that someone...

As for my ride, I really enjoyed it... I wouldn't wait in a huge line for it, but if the line is short enough, I'll always give it a go...

• Like 2

I rode Firehawk for the first time this year. The first ride I was pretty indifferent about it, didn't really find it that enjoyable and a bit uncomfortable. It wasn't as thrilling as I expected. The second and third ride were much more fun, not sure if it was because I knew what to expect or what but I now consider it to be a must ride when I take new people and ride when the line isn't long. Riding it with people that have never ridden before is so much fun! I love listening to them during and after the ride. It really is a unique experience that everyone should try at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I recommend riding it at least once to experience it for yourself.  However, for me flying coasters are an uncomfortable experience in general.  It really doesn't have much to do with the restraints, but more to do with feeling the blood rushing to your head and g-forces on your upper body.  The vertical loop on Firehawk feels like it has heavy g-forces, but I think that is because you are feeling it against your chest.

• Like 3

My mindset is that I will ride any ride at least once, likely twice, so I can form a personal opinion. I've learned that watching a ride can be very different from the ride experience. (Mean Streak and Magnum, I'm looking at you two without a smile on my face.)

That being said, I'm not Firehawk's biggest fan. I really dislike the sensation of resting on the chest restraints. I logically know that the restraints won't fail but it still terrifies me. I've learned to breathe in, adjust my upper body a bit, while pushing the chest restraint as close to my chest as possible - doing this before they lock the train makes me feel more secure. Again, it's all in my head but it gets me through my handful of rides each season. I second Magenta Lizard about resting on your shins - that is one of my friend's biggest complaints.

My oldest nephew finally rode it during Coasterstock and loved it. We rode together twice in a row and he then rode it a third time while I took a spin on Flight of Fear. He loves the flying sensation and laughs at my reaction.

This really is a ride that you are going to have to ride for yourself. Give it a chance and it could become your favorite!

I agree. One should try it. You might like it very much.

I'm very small, and 52 years old, so my experience would be vastly different than a 6' tall 20 year old's experience. I disliked it strongly, due to my own fears. I held myself against the back of the chair with my arms the entire time, hoping the plate in my wrist wouldn't slip. I didnt think of leaning down on the restraints. I felt that if I did, I could slip,out.

That man I married had the shin conundrum, he didn't like it either.

My 20 year old neice loves it, and rides it every visit, though we are the same size.

Edited by Tanna
  • Like 3

Also, I find the time spent laid back in the seat, at the beginning and end of the ride, brings to mind bad memories of being at the dentist. Whether this is a trigger for you may depend on whether you've sat through a root canal before.

I hate going to the dentist with a passion but I love Firehawk more then most people (going through a loop in a lay down/flying position is a very awesome feeling imo)

• Like 3

If I were you I would definitely try it out! How will you know if you like it if you don't try it out. I personally don't care for the coaster because I feel like I have to support my own weight in the seat, which gives me a lot of discomfort. But Hey.....to each his own. :)

• Like 4

I rode it last year (May 2015) and as we were going up the lift hill on a cloudy (but otherwise clear day) it began to rain not a heavy rain but, light rain and big drops.. it was a bit like torture lol felt no drops after the lift hill until we rolled over and were waiting to enter the station. I recommend not riding in the rain lol. Otherwise its a good ride, personally though I never wait more than 30 MAYBE 45 minutes for it... Id rather be on The Beast lol

• Like 3

I believe I first rode Firehawk in May 26th or 27th of 2012. I was really freaked out the first time I went on it but the novelty factor wears off after a bit. However I still think the ride is pretty good! I think you will enjoy it!

The best part of the ride in my opinion is either the in line twists before the last helix or the loop. The loop is really really intense! If you decide to ride it I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 2

The twist before the first drop that puts you from lying on your back into the actual flying position always gets me every time. That has and always will be my favorite part of the ride. Even though I know it's coming, you're just waiting for it to happen, and all of a sudden you flip over and are diving down, staring at the ground.

I love it!

• Like 7

Firehawk is one of my all-time favorites. Many here have given you an idea of how the ride is, and telling you about the loading process and things like that would make me sound like a broken record.

To give you an idea of how comfortable the ride is to me, I'm roughly 5 foot 7, pushing 125 pounds, and I'm a pretty skinny guy. My brother on the other hand, is about 275 pounds, and just over 6 foot. We both experienced the same level of comfort. The restraints made me feel just as safe as any other ride, while giving me the free feeling of flying. It's an amazing rush!

Firehawk is definitely ride worth trying.

• Like 5

Every time I ride this ride I end up getting blinded by the sun when going up the lift hill, so I would recommend trying the ride on a cloudy day. :)

That's the lesser of the two evils on the lift hill. Having your ears inches away from the very loud anti-rollbacks is worse. :P

• Like 4

For me, it's not thrilling enough to make the discomfort worth it. By discomfort, I mean it feels like all my weight is being held up by the pointy front of my shin bones.

That said, I do feel pretty secure in the harness. I've been told that it can be uncomfortable/painful for women who are better endowed, though.

I couldn't of said it any better, except for the womanly parts. Lol

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 1