Am I not seeing it because of cookies or something because all I'm seeing is a fit-to-screen version of their desktop site... or is that all it is? I'm not a huge fan of the new desktop site design anyway, so needless to say I like it less on my phone - especially the pop-up menus.

• Like 2

There really isn't much reason to make an app unless you need something you can't have on a webpage. The main things that would drive a company to build an app would be a need for some hardware feature (camera, graphics acceleration, etc.) or push notifications. Neither of which are needed for RCDB.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Ladies and gentlemen: on June 15, 2016, RCDB.com finally changed its ways and added Haunted House at Camden Park to its database.

I mean, it's (intentionally?) misspelled as "Hawnted House," but let's not get caught up on details, right? Or is that its actual name and I've been calling it the wrong thing all this time? There's a picture of the sign on RCDB. I suppose you could accuse it of saying "Hawnted" instead of "Haunted," but that's definitely not something I would ever assume by myself.

No sign of Devil's Den at Conneaut Lake Park so far. Maybe they'll get around to it, as well as getting rid of Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland.

• Like 8

Flight of Fear is also a gravity-propelled dark ride after the launch. But that doesn't exclude it from also being a roller coaster.

See, this is one of those things where I honestly don't see how there's debate. Like, the debate on whether rides like Racer (or especially Kennywood's Racer) are one coaster or two? Understandable. The debate on whether RMC topper track coasters are wood or steel? Totally get it.

But when a ride has multiple vehicles which run on a wooden track, are powered up an initial hill by a chain lift, and then are brought back to the station on the power of gravity alone, what else could it reasonably be called?

Worth noting is that coaster-count.com, who use RCDB as a de facto standard for what counts and what doesn't, have added "Hawnted" House per RCDB, but have also gone ahead and added Devil's Den.

• Like 3

I would consider it an indoor, dark wild mouse coaster. Like an early precursor to The Dark Knight Coaster or Laff Track.

As you've said, it's an endless debate that will never go anywhere. However, to make my case, I compare it to Leap the Dips. Its track design is fundamentally the same idea, just without the guide rail, and I've never seen a single person claim it to not be a coaster.

Ultimately, everyone will count their coasters however they want (or not at all) but I am solidly in the camp that these Pretzel dark rides are also coasters.

• Like 3

The funny thing about that is, I guess I've never seen a Leap the Dips coaster to compare it to.

Seems to me I tried to find some pictures of one, and I know Cedar Point had a few different ones. But I don't remember coming across any good pictures.

But, that's been awhile ago. And I do have an old mind.

He means Leap the Dips, the oldest operating wooden coaster, at Lakemont Park in Altoona, Pennsylvania. It's one of my most favorite roller coasters.

I often compare it to the experience of being a wee child riding up and down hills pulled by Daddy while in a little red wagon. Unlike, say, Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach, which, for me, is more like being pushed over the side of a bumpy hill in a Kroger shopping cart.

• Like 5

Love Leap The Dips. It's worth driving to. It's definitely a must ride for any enthusiast. Also love Skyline at Lakemont Park. Insane air time and buzz bars. Last summer we stopped by about an hour before close. Paid $3 to ride Leap the Dips, the rest of the park if it was running was free. Great place to combine with Knoebles, Hershey (and several other smaller parks) in the area.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 3