2015 KIC Off Season Poll Series Week XI: Best Ride on a Kings Island Attraction

BB1

In all honesty, it's cold. Seriously, 15 degrees and steady is not my kind of weather. But this is the kind of weather that makes me remember all of the warm summer days I had to ride some of my favorite Kings Island attractions. Whether it be from the 2004 era Crocodile Run laps for hours, or from the spectacular night rides on The Beast that I have had over the past season they all come back to me as I sit here facing this cold death that we call snow. (I hate the cold by the way, hence why I don't want to move any further north.) With that being said, I thought it would be best to get our minds off of the cold and into the warmth of our favorite rides on any Kings Island attraction. This could be anything from coasters to waterslides, and everything in between pertaining to your favorite ride on a Kings Island attraction. 

This is a new resolution of mine to start to respond to my own polls as I have been lacking in doing so. For me, it was my first visit to Boomerang Bay at Kings Island. I honestly don't know whether or not if it was just the perfect patch of sunlight or if the Crocodile Run is truly that photogenic, but lapping the Crocodile Run (Lazy river for some of us who have not been able to be blessed with the great theming that was Boomerang Bay.) at the perfect time of the afternoon with the sun starting to set under the honesuckle that lined the river was amazing. The perfect balance of shade and light with an Australian themed river was just the best experience I had at the waterpark, and something I honestly miss from it. 

• Like 1

Hmm, good question! I honestly don't have one single favorite ride I took on a Kings Island attraction. Maybe it was the first time I ever rode Banshee, or perhaps it was the time I got my friend to finally ride The Beast after years of refusal. Or, maybe it was the first time I went on Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle, the first attraction I ever rode at Kings Island.

• Like 1

I remember way back when I was about 10 years old and I took a ride for the first time on Adventure Express.  At the time I was still deathly terrified of roller coasters, so I wouldn't ride any of the "big" ones.  Because this one was smaller and had no significant drops, I decided to try it out.  I absolutely loved it!  I remember wanting to ride it over and over again.  I went back later that season with a friend from school.  There was no one in line that day because it had been raining off and on, so we marathoned it for quite some time.

I think the reason I liked it most was because it was part roller coaster and part dark ride.  I loved the coaster element, but I also loved all the themed elements as well (I'm talking about when the theming was new and actually worked).  I thought it was awesome that the train took you through different tunnels and in each tunnel was something to see.  My favorite though, was the very last tunnel with all the natives banging their fists up and down.  As a ten year old boy, I just found this to be so cool!

I loved the ride so much that I even bought me an Adventure Express hat in the park.  I used to wear it often as a way to advertise my favorite ride.  Even though I've liked new rides since then, I don't ever remember liking one this much.  Adventure Express also helped me to transition to the bigger coasters, so I think that's another reason I like it so much.

• Like 3

Either: Beast in the snow. (Paramount era--I doubt that ever happens again).

I'm told it happened on the Saturday night before closing day in 2014.

I left the park that day around mid-afternoon and did not return. Too cold for coaster riding for me. :P

• Like 1

Here are my Top 5 memorable experiences I've had on rides at KI. In order, they are:

5. My first ride on Son of Beast

-It was the year 2000 and I was making my way to Top Gun, like I normally do. My step-dad really wanted me to ride the big, looping wooden coaster next door as I had never ridden a looping coaster. I' was scared, but I obliged. I thought the first drop out of the station was cool and the rest was history (the loop wasn't even that bad!). 

4. My first (and only) night ride on WindSeeker

-I don't remember the day, but I got a night ride on WindSeeker and it was downright magical with the lights and music playing. During the day, the ride is "meh", but at night, it's pretty spectacular.

3. The mini-Helicopters with my cousin

-Long before my cousin Ryan and I embarked on The Edge of the Milleinium Tour this past summer, we went to KI on a rainy Mother's Day one year and rode the mini-helicopters (Now known as Woodstock's Whirlybirds; don't remember what they were called then). For some reason, we couldn't stop laughing for most of the ride and had a blast, even though my phone took a beating from the rain shortly afterwards (the rain seeped into my fanny pack!).

2. That crazy Bat (1993) ride on Closing Day

-It was Closing Day of this year and I was exiting The Bat when I thought I saw Gator. One of his friends yelled down to him and I found out it was him. I then raced (I was walking fast, guys!) to catch up with him and ended up riding with him. We rode in the back and I usually ride on the inside (closest to the exit), but on that day I rode on the outside (closest to the entrance). I got probably one of the most insane Bat rides ever that day!

1. That foggy midnight close- Vortex/Beast

-It was the last midnight close of the season of 2014 (I think?) and I got off work @ 10 PM. I went back into the park and met up with the group. That night, we rode Vortex and Beast in some pretty deep fog. It was pretty cool racing around in the fog on Vortex and The Beast was downright surreal. I remember climbing The Beast's second lift and seeing 2 bright lights at the top. I then asked "Are we on Planet Earth anymore?" Again, it was pretty surreal.

Honorable mentions include the following: The Coaster for Kids night ride on Racer (I rode Red, C4K peeps rode Blue), smooth rides of Flight of Fear, and some fun Dodgems rides this year.

EDIT b/c I accidentally put that Son of Beast was my first wooden coaster... yeah, no. My first wooden coaster was my first coaster ever, The Beastie.

• Like 3

Or:

Beast the time we saw a deer jump the track just ahead of us (never again, that section is now fenced off).

I had the exact same experience years ago, it just about jumped as we rolled by (i believe he was on my left). Definitely an interesting experience Terp!
  • Like 3

Or:

Beast the time we saw a deer jump the track just ahead of us (never again, that section is now fenced off).

I had the exact same experience years ago, it just about jumped as we rolled by (i believe he was on my left). Definitely an interesting experience Terp!

During one of our visits this year, we came around that curve (where the fencing was put up) and I saw a deer on the right side - I pointed to my nephew for him to look. He still talks about that. Not something you get to experience every day (thankfully!). 

As for my best rides this season, one of the top ones is the first time that the youngest niece and nephew rode The Beast. They were a bit nervous and I watched the niece's face while trying to keep an eye on the youngest nephew. It was hard to tell what the niece was thinking until we got through the helix and she was grinning. They both love the end "twisty" part. They were so excited when they got off! I splurged and bought the ride photo. Such a happy memory! I know I say this a lot but I have a lot of fun with them as they experience new rides. Encouraging them to try something new and sharing that with them - it brings the rides to life for me in a very different way. 

One of my favorite rides as a child was riding The Beastie. I remember my sheer glee when I was on that ride. 

• Like 2

A few rides stick out:

• White Water Canyon just before fireworks in the late 90s as a kid. My first night ride on anything in the park. The tower operators did their job well.
  • My first-ever Banshee ride on Media Day, right at the first hint of twilight.
  • The Beast on October 10, 2014. Drenching rain, cold, dense fog, park practically empty.

I'm told it happened on the Saturday night before closing day in 2014.

I left the park that day around mid-afternoon and did not return. Too cold for coaster riding for me. :P

There may have been a few specs of frozen precipitation that night, but nothing that I'd qualify as "snow". Riding The Beast into the 1am hour with the temperature in the mid 20s was something, though.

• Like 3

I'll do this like MDMC01 did with a top 5.

1. First ride on Top Gun-  This was a big moment for me.  I was timid in riding any of the rides that were at the 48" height requirement, but this one eased me into coasters.  It was different that most coasters in the park for sure.  You would think the suspended aspect would throw me off, but it was super quiet and smooth (probably the smoothest coaster in the park circa 1994-1995) and had no major drops or elements.  I remember marathoning it around a dozen times until close. This was also back when it had the aircraft carrier theming including a makeshift radar station and smoke to simulate the launch off of a carrier, along with USN uniforms for the ride crew.  

2. First voluntary ride on Vortex and Beast- this was the year after I conquered Top Gun.  I had been on Beast earlier, but it scared me a whole lot.  This later event was at P&G Day near close, so both of these were at night.  I did Vortex first, which, it was mostly the first drop and inversions that got to me.  It was exhilarating to 'survive' them the first time around.  I then had the courage to try Beast again, which was equally wonderful.   This along with my first trip to Cedar Point in 1999 and NJFTP in 2000 (mainly Medusa and GASM) made me the enthusiast I am today.  

3. First ride on Diamondback- This was equally meaningful for what the ride meant to the park as well as me personally.  Seeing Kings Island finally get a B&M coaster was a great moment.  It was a kind of stepping up moment for the park getting a stellar ride from a top notch designer.  In terms of my personal benefit, this was the first coaster I rode at Kings Island following my first surgery in 2008 (didn't go until 2009, though I got to Hershey in 2008).  It was a very emotional thing for me personally.  Its one of many reasons I show a lot of enthusiasm for Diamondback.  

4. First ride on Son of Beast-  I got to do this during a season pass holder night, which was pushed back due to the delays it had.  This was only my 2nd 200 ft+ coaster, which, rides of that height still got to me at the time.  It was also freaky knowing there was a loop on a wood coaster and it only had the lap bar (mind you, I hadn't been on a Schwarzkopf looper yet, so it was a foreign idea to me).  After all the hype the park did, just seeing that mountain of wood for the first time was awesome, and I enjoyed it that night immensely.  

5. Banshee Marathon Closing Day 2014- Ah yes, the push to 2 million.  I don't think I've ever been emotionally drained from a ride before, even during a marathon, but Banshee got me there that night.  This was also one of my earlier meet ups with KIC, which, 2014 was a big transitioning year for me from the bad breakup I had with the previous coaster site I was a member of, and that year really solidified my staying here, especially after that particular visit.  

• Like 4

Well, here are my most memorable rides. I'll add a rule of thumb to add some variety though- ONE RIDE PER RIDE (though other memorables will likely still be mentioned). This is to keep some variety in the list, otherwise it'd probably be a list of a bunch of Beast night rides or something.  :P 

5. "First Time on 5-1" Vortex, 2010

My #5 best ride ever (limited to 1 per ride) goes to my first ride on 5-1 on Vortex in 2010. My first ride on Vortex was just OK because I foolishly rode in the back of a seat instead of the front and was smooshed. My 2nd ride was better, as I rode in front for once, but I really can't remember much about it specifically leading me to think it was likely a typical Vortex ride. However, as we waited for the park to get dark for a legendary Beast night ride, we needed to kill some time, so we rode Vortex again since it's pretty close to Beast. I ended up, on accident, choosing 5-1. I was blown away how much better the ride was from this seat- it was smoother, more intense, and the airtime on the first drop was insane considering this was mainly a looping coaster. I have ridden the coaster from 5-1 ever since, though none of those rides has been more memorable than the very first one.

4. "A Perfect Morning" Red Racer, 2012

Racer is one of the "moodiest" roller coasters I have come across so far. The amount of airtime and smoothness seems to vary from ride to ride and side to side, making it a bit of a guessing game to what kind of ride you'll get. In May of 2012, I think I hit jackpot.

The park had just opened and we were going to hit Firehawk early, so we headed to Coney Mall. My sister noticed Racer had no line whatsoever at park opening and wanted to do it first. So we headed towards it and took front seat on Red Racer while our friends took the same on Blue. The trains dispatched, and while climbing the 88-foot lift hill, my sister dared me to keep my hands up the entire ride as I had yet to do so (and Racer really isn't the most crazy intense ride ever so I agreed). What followed was a barrage of at least good and usually great airtime on every hill, with the ride being about as smooth as a classic wooden coaster can get. I was EASILY able to keep my hands up BTW. It was an amazing way to start off what ended up being a very good day at Kings Island.

3. "First Airtime" Diamondback, 2009

The year was 2009. I was back at Kings Island for the first time in 9 years, with the big red B&M hypercoaster being a big reason for that. I had just conquered my fear of roller coasters and inversions (using rides like Beast, Vortex, and Crypt) and felt ready to take on the huge new roller coaster. So we did...I had been lurking on KICentral, and kept hearing you guys mentioning some "Air Time" thing and how it was awesome (Beast, Vortex, and Crypt really didn't have any that day- though if you read to this point you'd know Vortex would dish some out for me later on). I really had no idea what it was or felt like. After we waited 45 minutes and were about to board, it rained, so the wait was an hour. Then I boarded Diamondback.

When the train returned to the station, I knew what you guys were talking about when you said "air time". It caught me off guard at first, but when I realized what it was, I began to enjoy it. I have had some more great rides on Diamondback since, especially the ones I took in 2014 (including my first night ride), but learning of airtime and riding the then big hot new roller coaster as a coaster rookie was quite memorable and thus gets my pick here.

#2- "4 Hours Was Worth It!"- Banshee, 2014

5 years later, Kings Island was adding another huge new B&M roller coaster, and this time I was there Opening Day for the first time to boot. The crowds were insane- perfect weather and a huge new coaster added up. Even caused a issue for us when a guy hit our rented SUV- though I think he went to jail or got at least a ticket for a hit-and-run or something, was never made 100% clear to me. Then we waited 4 1/2 hours to ride my first B&M Inverted Coaster- Banshee. It was TORTURE. First hour was fine but once we got in the actual ques, fatigue was really kicking in (thank goodness my sister ran over and got Chicken Shack for us mid-line). As we got to the stairs, I was thinking "This had better be one heck of a good roller coaster".

When we exited, my anger and frustrations from the huge line were no more. "HOLY COW THAT WAS ACTUALLY WORTH WAITING 4 HOURS FOR!!!" :P Banshee turned out to be an amazing roller coaster and a great addition to the park. The g-forces, the intensity, and the variety of inversions...all awesome. Then my stomach was growling- Chicken Shack had worn off and I was hungry again, so we headed to Hank's Burrito Shack where I ate a tasty burrito and watched that awesome roller coaster I just rode run from the outdoor dining area next to Adventure Express' entrance. All my later rides were also excellent, especially the night ride, but the first one still stands out the most to me...

1. "The Haunted Beast" The Beast, Halloween Haunt 2010

This one was tough, as it was a choice between this, the coaster ride that broke my fear of coasters in 2009, and a bunch of other memorable stellar rides (like on Opening Day 2014 at night with my sister) on this coaster. (Hence why it is my favorite roller coaster). But Halloween Haunt 2010's night ride- with a bunch of my friends with added special effects in cold weather- remains my favorite ride on any roller coaster anywhere. Everything I have come to expect from a great Beast night ride was here- amazingly fast speeds, pitch black darkness, fairly smooth but still a bit bumpy for excitement's sake smoothness...and then there were also some fog machines and a hidden werewolf along the track. My friends screamed in excitement so much, everyone but me had sore throat the next day (I don't scream really on roller coasters) when we visited a local race track for a race.

It was amazing, and ride I don't think I'll ever forget. Unless someone slams me in the head with a pipe and I get amnesia and forget it or something. Then I'll read about it here if I remember KICentral and be furious they made me forget all this. :P

• Like 4