Rivertown funnel cake stand razed

Magenta Lizard

While I do enjoy the three point shootout games much like the NBA 3-point contest during the All-Star break, I hate the ones that give out basketballs as prizes. I'd love to win myself an NBA jersey that would normally cost $50+ for $5 rather than a basketball that'll get warped and lose its grip after a month. (I found this out from experience) Get rid of the basketball prizes or get rid of those kinds of games IMO. Please keep that 3-point shootout though.

• Like 3

While I do enjoy the three point shootout games much like the NBA 3-point contest during the All-Star break, I hate the ones that give out basketballs as prizes. I'd love to win myself an NBA jersey that would normally cost $50+ for $5 rather than a basketball that'll get warped and lose its grip after a month. (I found this out from experience) Get rid of the basketball prizes or get rid of those kinds of games IMO. Please keep that 3-point shootout though.

The purpose of the games is to make money. Lots and lots of money. You aren't going to get a $50 prize on a $5 game. Heck, many prizes aren't worth the cost to play.

• Like 6

At first, the relocation of WWC's entrance shocks me, but upon taking a look from above, this move should shorten the queue by a significant amount. It would also explain the construction some reported seeing in the woods behind the train station.

Also, to answer thegajone's question, the new entrance is tucked between Rivertown Potato Works and Diamondback's drop.

• Like 1

The purpose of the games is to make money. Lots and lots of money. You aren't going to get a $50 prize on a $5 game. Heck, many prizes aren't worth the cost to play.

I'm referring to the NBA jerseys that you can win at the three point shootout by Vortex and Backlot Stunt Coaster. NBA Jerseys are typically rather expensive, being around that $50 range. Granted you have to make almost all of the threes to win them, but still a pretty good prize if you're an NBA fan like myself.

• Like 2

If you're interested, there are numerous websites devoted to authentic jerseys being sold for around half that. They do come from offshore, and are thus not officially endorsed by the league, but they can be had without the need to make 85% of your shots in the game.

• Like 5

Whoever noticed the removal of the White Water Canyon entrance was correct. They're moving it somewhere over by Diamondback.https://twitter.com/kingsislandpr/status/694181133160964097efd8c89e15cecbaa9da915207508f696.jpg

I'm having real trouble visualizing where that is and how walking towards DB gets you to WWC.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That was the temporary entrance to Tombstone Terrortory last year and it was just to the left of Rivertown Potatoworks. If you look just to the right of the walkway you'll see a wooden gate which I assume will be erected over the entrance. As I recall Greg said something earlier about making Haunt bigger and better. It might have something to do with that... But it also looks like something is going on right behind the train station where the WWC exit was/is located. (Looking from the tower webcam... Not this picture)
  • Like 1

That's sad. I always loved the walk to White Water Canyon.

Looking back, when I first started going to Kings Island, one of the things I found so neat about Kings Island was how many of the attractions were kind of "hidden away", and were so well integrated into the landscape.  You didn't really know what to expect, you kind of just followed the path.  

• Like 7

If it is a very short walk, as people have said, they're either going to need to put in some cow corrals, or the line will impede traffic on hot days. I also hope for lots of shade over that line.

It's funny, last summer I was telling someone about how much I enjoyed the walk through the woods on the way to WWC, that it reminded me of when I was in Girl Scouts. I even suggested that it would be cool if KI just had a nature hike trail, to allow one to get away from the bustle for a short while. They certainly have enough wooded land for it (the park owns about twice as much acreage as they currently use), just maybe not easy access to it.

Of course, I immediately realized my plan would have the same problem as the back rows of the KI Theater or the family restrooms, and be abused by... let's say, lovers.

• Like 13

It's probably not really any better for WWC access. Yes, they'll either need to install a new bridge (or tunnel I suppose) or pay a crossing guard.

So the obvious question is what is it good for? It does open things up over where the entrance used to be. Near an area where they are adding a featured new game. I'm hoping the reasons are as exciting as some of the things I can think of, but I'd be hesitant to actually speculate this early.

• Like 1

That's sad. I always loved the walk to White Water Canyon.

Looking back, when I first started going to Kings Island, one of the things I found so neat about Kings Island was how many of the attractions were kind of "hidden away", and were so well integrated into the landscape.  You didn't really know what to expect, you kind of just followed the path.  

I will miss the walk as well. Always enjoyed the short stroll through the woods to get back to it. And like KIfan72 stated it really made it feel even more secluded than it already was. Plus when there was a line it provided plenty fo shade along the whole path with the trees. Hoepfully this new path will still give a bit of that same feel.

This does also make me curious about what all they will be doing back in Rivertown by the old entrance/exit path area. With construction for the game going on and teh queue path taken out it opens up a lot of space for use, and as has been stated with work already being seen in that area. Maybe we are getting something big coming in 2017 for the 45th Anniversary.

I'm also curious to see changes to Haunt. If they are taking out that queue path might Tombstone Terror-tory be going away now too? Woudl love to see them just incorporate teh props and costumes into a Ghost Town scare zone through Rivertown. Always liked that the theme matched teh zone but felt the Haunt itself was pretty lackluster.

For those like me having trouble visualizing the new entrance, here's a screenshot from Google Earth with some added lines:

aIwI3XP.jpg

The red line represents the old entrance and queue, while the yellow represents the new entrance and a rough estimate of the queue. Notably, this would put the railroad crossing just after the station rather than just before, which could make a grade crossing much easier. Specifically, it could be done as a routine part of the train's dispatch procedures, rather than as a separate process that has to monitor where the train is at all times, and handling the (hopefully rare) case of a misbehaving guest ignoring instructions at the crossing would be simpler (just delay dispatch, rather than potentially forcing an emergency stop of a moving train).

• Like 9

Actually, while the (old) queue is to the north of the exit path for most of its length, it crosses over (via another annoying bridge) to the south side just before you reach the platform. So depending on how the new queue is routed, it's possible that both bridges could be eliminated at once (though I have no idea how they'd do that without disrupting the geysers that Thrill_Biscuit loves so much :P).

• Like 1

That's true. And actually, if they were to a create switchback queue house in the unused area just beyond the geysers, and behind the fence, they could virtually eliminate the long walk-back queue.... One thing no one is thinking about with the picture of the path is that even if it were paved, its not wide enough to handle two way traffic, so at least the old entrance / exit ramp would have to be used... My guess is we are being told to look away from the obvious construction going on right now..... Hey look! There's a pile of mud over there!

• Like 1