Rivertown funnel cake stand razed

Magenta Lizard

That could cause a bottleneck during Haunt (assuming Madame Fatale still has her cavern of terror!), but during the other times of the year, I could see using the old Crypt's exit as WWC's exit as being fine.

I imagine that WWC is still going to be closed during Haunt, as it has been in the past :P

• Like 7

^Smart thinking.

I'm curious if the ride's exit will be moving too.

I wondered that same thing earlier. Here's the response I got:

https://twitter.com/rcwizard13/status/694227415980216320?s=09

Very interesting... WWC exit is being rerouted..... Now the question is "why reroute the exit?"...It does free up a bit of land behind the railroad station.... But for what? A future coaster? A collection of classic rides, a new show amphitheater .... A new year round haunt structure? Tick tock, tick tock.... How many days left until opening day so this can be seen up close? ( still considering a pass... Hmmm... Just maybe.. Idk)
  • Like 2

For those like me having trouble visualizing the new entrance, here's a screenshot from Google Earth with some added lines:

aIwI3XP.jpg

The red line represents the old entrance and queue, while the yellow represents the new entrance and a rough estimate of the queue. Notably, this would put the railroad crossing just after the station rather than just before, which could make a grade crossing much easier. Specifically, it could be done as a routine part of the train's dispatch procedures, rather than as a separate process that has to monitor where the train is at all times, and handling the (hopefully rare) case of a misbehaving guest ignoring instructions at the crossing would be simpler (just delay dispatch, rather than potentially forcing an emergency stop of a moving train).

Ah, thanks! I kind of like what they're doing with the queue then. You still get to walk through the woods, plus you get up close views of DB. And it's a shorter walk from queue entrance to ride station. Now if they can just add a couple benches in the observation area, I'll be thrilled!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The Geysers (If my assumptions of what he is referring to is correct) are just barely in the picture towards the bottom of the picture, about 1/3 from the bottom left corner.  Its the light brown patch just above the greyish (water turbulence) surrounded by green trees (sort of like a puzzle wrapped in an enigma, tied with a question mark).  From that point, you can feed quarters into a handful of machines (8 to 12 tubes IIRC) then punch a button in hopes of deluging a passing boat w/ water.  Its an area where the ride kind of slows down and you slowly drift into the final portion, so its a good place to launch from.  The tubes are all painted different colors, so you know which button controls with tube.  Its also on the exit path walkway from the ride.

• Like 4

I hope there are some Coca-Cola Freestyle machines in there... I need to get the most out of my unlimited refills. 

As I recall, refills were not available at the Freestyle machines.  At least they weren't at the Jukebox Diner in Coney Mall.

• Like 1

I hope there are some Coca-Cola Freestyle machines in there... I need to get the most out of my unlimited refills.

As I recall, refills were not available at the Freestyle machines. At least they weren't at the Jukebox Diner in Coney Mall.
They let us do a Freestyle refill in Jukebox last season.....

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That could cause a bottleneck during Haunt (assuming Madame Fatale still has her cavern of terror!), but during the other times of the year, I could see using the old Crypt's exit as WWC's exit as being fine.

I imagine that WWC is still going to be closed during Haunt, as it has been in the past :P

D'oh! You are correct sir!

• Like 4

As I recall, refills were not available at the Freestyle machines. At least they weren't at the Jukebox Diner in Coney Mall.

Free refills are most definitely offered at the freestyle machines. I filled up my cup multiple times there.

Coke products are Coke products. It'd be silly to say you could get it anywhere else but the Freestyle machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

To clarify: For the first two years of having Freestyle machines in the park, Freestyle drinks were more expensive than regular drinks and either not available or an upcharge with refill plans (souvenir cup, wristband, etc.). After the first two years, they were changed to being treated exactly the same as regular drinks, with the same prices and same inclusion in refill plans.

• Like 8

I was looking at the webcam today and it looks like the WWC raised walkway, bridge and possibly the blacktop path have been removed throughout the woods. I would be excited for a rr crossing entry. Plus, the area behind the train station to the reservoir is ripe for an expansion.

• Like 2

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Even though the area behind the train station isn't the flattest of locations, I could see a return of the Antique Cars there for the 45th. That was a very treasured attraction back in the day (despite the fact that Paramount left one of the original tracks to rot). They could just build one track similar in size to Cadillac Cars at Cedar Point back there. It would be nicely shaded and fairly secluded, away from the heat and crowds, and it would bring back a great family attraction that's been missing from KI for years.

That's just one option. My guess is as good as anyone else's this early in speculation.

• Like 17

I was just thinking again about the question "since tearing down one funnel cake stand only to build another seems like a lot of work, and moving WWC's entrance doesn't eliminate the need to cross the tracks somehow, what good does it do?"

I mentioned before that it opens up the area around their fancy new soccer game, and if they build something else new back there it will draw more attention to what I assume will be a good money-maker.

But I was just realizing the entrance move has a second, hopefully intentional, side-effect. It is going to draw more attention to the big beige box that KI has been trying to distract guests from noticing outside of Haunt.

I hope that is a sign that soon the box will once again be used for something interesting all season. The park is in desperate need of a non-kiddy dark ride as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 18

Even though the area behind the train station isn't the flattest of locations, I could see a return of the Antique Cars there for the 45th. That was a very treasured attraction back in the day (despite the fact that Paramount left one of the original tracks to rot). They could just build one track similar in size to Cadillac Cars at Cedar Point back there. It would be nicely shaded and fairly secluded, away from the heat and crowds, and it would bring back a great family attraction that's been missing from KI for years.

That's just one option. My guess is as good as anyone else's this early in speculation.

The problem with 'Tiques is that they aren't cheap to operate given their gasoline engines. Oil prices are lower right now than in past years, but that's still a significant cost. And it's very subject to change. I'd be surprised to see parks install new ones in this day and age.

I guess you could use electric motors... But a 'Tique that doesn't spurt and putter like the carbureted engines of old is hardly a 'Tique at all, in my book...

• Like 13

The problem with 'Tiques is that they aren't cheap to operate given their gasoline engines. Oil prices are lower right now than in past years, but that's still a significant cost. And it's very subject to change. I'd be surprised to see parks install new ones in this day and age.

I guess you could use electric motors... But a 'Tique that doesn't spurt and putter like the carbureted engines of old is hardly a 'Tique at all, in my book...

Valley fair installed new ones what, 3 seasons ago give or take?  I don't know what, if anything is different about their maintenance and cost than what KI was using back when I was a kid, but I think its definitely a possibility.

On a side note, my wife was pregnant at the time last season, and since their was a warning against riding while pregnant (I assume the real danger is near minimal baring an idiot driver running into the car in front them) she decided to skip it (of course our 7 year old son was going to be the driver, so the "idiot" quotient was quite high and better safe than sorry).  Anyways, our 3 year old daughter wasn't big enough to ride in a row by herself (they are set up 2 rows of benches, driver in the front row w/ 1 passenger, 2 passengers in the back row) so I had to sit in the back bench with my daughter while our 7 year old was in the front row by himself w/ full control (plus the guide rail).  Seeing as he'd never driven anything even remotely similar to that, I was a little "interested" to see how he handled things.  To my surprise he was way more cautious than I thought he'd be and did a great job.  It was a great family memory for me; I think it would make a great addition to the park somewhere.

• Like 11

This argument against the antique cars always seems to come up.  I would think that the cost of gasoline to operate those cars would pale in comparison to the costs of constantly dragging a coaster train up the lift hill (as well as slowing it down and stopping it) on something like Diamondback or Banshee (or any major coaster).  I would also hate to know how much electricity is used during every cycle of something like Drop Tower.

• Like 10

The park is in desperate need of a non-kiddy dark ride as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't agree more.

I would love to see a haunted mansion just beyond the railroad tracks, nestled into the location behind the new games. After all, every River Town in Ohio has rumors of a house that's haunted, why not KIs Rivertown?

• Like 12

The park is in desperate need of a non-kiddy dark ride as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't agree more.

I would love to see a haunted mansion just beyond the railroad tracks, nestled into the location behind the new games. After all, every River Town in Ohio has rumors of a house that's haunted, why not KIs Rivertown?

A haunted mansion of the "non kiddie" (AKA Boo-Blasters) variety would involve and require a good amount of theming.... Cedar Fair.... "nuff said.  I, like you, would Love to see it, but about as likely as the return of Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal.

• Like 5

A haunted mansion of the "non kiddie" (AKA Boo-Blasters) variety would involve and require a good amount of theming.... Cedar Fair.... "nuff said. I, like you, would Love to see it, but about as likely as the return of Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal.

Banshee? Fury 325? Wonder Mountain's Guardian??

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 3

I'm behind on this topic. Are they eventually going to build a new funnel cake stand somewhere else? Also what about the Potato Fry stand? Has that been razed?

Rivertown Potato Works is indeed still standing. The new WWC queue entrance is to its left and a new Funnel Cake Stand is being built across the midway from it.

• Like 3

I'm behind on this topic. Are they eventually going to build a new funnel cake stand somewhere else? Also what about the Potato Fry stand? Has that been razed?

From Kings Island's Twitter page

Construction on a new #funnelcake location in Rivertown is underway.

https://twitter.com/kingsislandpr/status/694012432994430976

b2586c3a640d9908d7418fbda037f09e.jpg

• Like 8

A haunted mansion of the "non kiddie" (AKA Boo-Blasters) variety would involve and require a good amount of theming.... Cedar Fair.... "nuff said. I, like you, would Love to see it, but about as likely as the return of Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal.

Banshee? Fury 325? Wonder Mountain's Guardian??

This depends on what your basis of "themeing" is, and what you're comparing it to. I don't think it's reasonable to expect Disney or Universal quality-theming at Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks, and therefore would be not fair to compare Disney or Universal to Cedar Fair's theming.  With that being said, Cedar Fair still does try to take a stab at theming (Banshee's gravestones, giant ID sign, mist, etc.).  Personally, I love what they did with Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Voyage to the Iron Reef.  It reminds me what I'd expect from a mildly themed park such as Busch Gardens or Silver Dollar City.  More themed than a Cedar Fair park, but not so much that they have to go to the extents of Disney.

• Like 4

And they could work with Sally Corp. and make a well themed one that doesn't have to be as extreme or intensive as Disney/Universal but still great and work for a regional/seasonal park. Just look at what they have done with the Justice League rides at the Six Flags parks. Cedar Fair could definitely do something like that. And back int eh woods could make for a great setting for it too, built in theming with the trees surrounding it and mild seclusion.

• Like 5