Rivertown funnel cake stand razed

Magenta Lizard

Compare and contrast Kings Dominion, tree wise.

It's like it's a different company.

I enjoy your cryptic posts as much as anyone else, but for someone like me who has never been to Kings Dominion, can you (or someone else) actually explain the compare/contrast that you speak of?

Kings Dominion has lush vegetation, mature trees, and seems to be set in a veritable forest...as Kings Island once was as well.

Dorney Park is a sea of cement--bright dazzling cement.

I think that International Street alone is a great comparison between Kings Island and Kings Dominion.

Kings Island's is dotted with a row of nice, medium-sized trees flanking the Shamu-blue fountains with white urns.

800px-Kings_Island_Eiffel_Tower_fountain

In contrast, Kings Dominion's is lushly landscaped with towering trees and dark fountains that almost appear like natural geysers (note this was taken before their fountains were painted even darker for the new nighttime fountain show). Compare the trees flanking the park logo in the two photos. Very different feelings to those International Streets.

800px-PKDEntrance.jpg

And that's to say nothing of their themed lands. The Safari Village one (formerly the Congo) is one of the best themed environments in Cedar Fair's chain with the massive trees, flames from Volcano and The Crypt, the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider film score (seriously!).

congo3_blastcoaster.jpg

Or Old Virginia, which is essentially their Rivertown, just still densely forested.

135_26.jpg

The trees alone can make even familiar parts of Kings Dominion feel very, very different from their Kings Island counterparts.

800px-PKD-Flight_of_Fear.jpg

• Like 17

Kings Dominion has lush vegetation, mature trees, and seems to be set in a veritable forest...as Kings Island once was as well.

Dorney Park is a sea of cement--bright dazzling cement.

Ah so it's like the KI of old! Thanks. I'll have to make my way over there then!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 9

That KI/KD I-Street comparison picture makes it look like KD's International Street is much wider than KI's. This is but another reason why I'd love to go back to Kings Dominion someday.

-MDMC, who wants to explore a Crypt and ride the orange (formally yellow) rails of a Y2K coaster, in addition to enjoying a space-age clone and exploring the right side of the park (seriously, I haven't been on any of KD's wooden coasters and only got to watch Hypersonic!).

• Like 8

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Even though the area behind the train station isn't the flattest of locations, I could see a return of the Antique Cars there for the 45th. That was a very treasured attraction back in the day (despite the fact that Paramount left one of the original tracks to rot). They could just build one track similar in size to Cadillac Cars at Cedar Point back there. It would be nicely shaded and fairly secluded, away from the heat and crowds, and it would bring back a great family attraction that's been missing from KI for years.

That's just one option. My guess is as good as anyone else's this early in speculation.

The problem with 'Tiques is that they aren't cheap to operate given their gasoline engines. Oil prices are lower right now than in past years, but that's still a significant cost. And it's very subject to change. I'd be surprised to see parks install new ones in this day and age.

I guess you could use electric motors... But a 'Tique that doesn't spurt and putter like the carbureted engines of old is hardly a 'Tique at all, in my book...

This argument against the antique cars always seems to come up.  I would think that the cost of gasoline to operate those cars would pale in comparison to the costs of constantly dragging a coaster train up the lift hill (as well as slowing it down and stopping it) on something like Diamondback or Banshee (or any major coaster).  I would also hate to know how much electricity is used during every cycle of something like Drop Tower.

Actually, what you really want to know is how much electricity is used in just a single launch of Flight of Fear, which by the way, uses more electricity than the entire rest of Coney Mall.

As to the topic, on closing day, I did hear from...shall we just say the Dippin' Dots Guy...that Tombstone Terrortory's entrance was going to be the new entrance to Whitewater.  What he did not know was what was to become of the old exit and entrance area.  What one hopes for is a new flat of some variety.  I think an antique cars would be highly fitting, but perhaps a bit much to hope for.  The area around the exit, including the now gone funnel cake stand would also make enough room for a small one.  I'm just going to hope for a good change.

• Like 5

I agree on that, but when they were offering the 50% off funnel cakes coupon in the KI app last summer, those were excellent deals. You could get one with all kinds of toppings, or even blue soft serve at the now defunct Rivertown location, for around $5.

Really, even at full price, the topped ones are much better deals. One with just powdered sugar should only be $6, if a fully topped one is $10. I wouldn't initially have considered buying one, if they hadn't offered that coupon, but I very well might pay full price for a few this summer, now that I know how good they are.

• Like 7

I agree on that, but when they were offering the 50% off funnel cakes coupon in the KI app last summer, those were excellent deals. You could get one with all kinds of toppings, or even blue soft serve at the now defunct Rivertown location, for around $5.

Really, even at full price, the topped ones are much better deals. One with just powdered sugar should only be $6, if a fully topped one is $10. I wouldn't initially have considered buying one, if they hadn't offered that coupon, but I very well might pay full price for a few this summer, now that I know how good they are.

Got the offer every time we opened the App in the park.

Never once got the coupon.

• Like 5

Can we stop talking about funnel cakes...now I want one ;)

I'll be excited to see how this stand turns out!

Found out a few winters ago, they are pretty easy to make.

How far away from South East Columbus do you live? Make me some? haha
They would be cold by the time they got there. I recommend looking for the recipe on Allrecipes.com., but it makes a Huge batch, so it's best to have a lot of eaters on standby.
  • Like 4