Europa Park Horror Nights 2015 PTR

luff

Not having something to do on a Sunday I decided to try Halloween (Horror nights) at Europa Park in Rust Germany.  In 2010 I visited for the first time and did a PTR here for those of you who were around at that time. EP has experienced a huge growth in attendance, adding new lands and on site hotels, but I figured a cold November Sunday would keep the crowds down.

I hopped on the A5 headed south and saw the best road sign in the world.  A white circle with three diagonal slashes across (end of speed limit!)  So I put the hammer down.  Unfortunately I was driving a old beat up company van so I was blown away by many others :(

They have done a nice job of updating the roads with reversible lanes on entry/exit.  A few overpasses and double lane round a bouts and I was there.  They do not charge you when you arrive at the parking lot, you pay later.  This is a very efficient way to get into the park (hint hint US theme park management).  I was impressed that they directed two rows of parking at one time.  (German efficiency?)

The lot was nearly full since I arrived one hour after opening, but the walk up to the gates was nice.  Covered path right next to a coaster with moving sidewalks!

IMG_20151101_031424434.jpg

I went to the gate and bought my ticket.  At this time you also pay for parking.  Last time they gave me a coin that I had to save, but now it is a barcode on a small piece of paper.  Into the wallet so I can get out tonight!

GEDC1701.jpg

Little decorations for Halloween

GEDC1702.jpg

They seem to like putting pumpkins everywhere

GEDC1704.jpg

I headed straight for Wodan the newest wooden coaster there.  It is pretty far back from the entrance.  Taking note of show times on the way.

IMG_20151101_033209478.jpg

Hey there is a show going on.  I hear Weird Al's Amish paradise 'Weird for sure'.

GEDC1707.jpg

Walking through Italy, I was reminded that E.P. has no problem copying things from other places and parks.  That basically means "Little shop of Horrors"

GEDC1708.jpg

They really like pumpkins.  This is normally a golf ball like the one at Epcot.

GEDC1711.jpg

Skipping the 3d Ride I have Wodan on the mind.

GEDC1714.jpg

Walking through Greece land I saw that they shut it down at night for a Haunt.  More on the Haunts later.

GEDC1720.jpg

It’s not just pumpkins, they like gourds of any type.  In fact the whole park, except for Iceland and Greece were just covered with pumpkins/gourds.  The must have been hundreds of thousands.

GEDC1723.jpg

GEDC1727.jpg

Water coaster in Greece.... No thanks too cold.

Another side note I talked about last time, Dogs are allowed in the park.  There were many many more there this fall than in the summer time.  Thankfully they even have dog water bowls to keep them hydrated

GEDC1730.jpg

Finally I made it to Iceland and get my first look at Wodan

GEDC1732.jpg

GEDC1733.jpg

Nice Station

GEDC1734.jpg

Into line I go.  The display showed 90 minute wait, but they had a single rider line.  Score!  So i thought.  The single rider line actually took longer than 90 since so many people tried it.  One more unique thing is an automatic gate to let you into the station in the single rider line.  Since the park is a Frisbee throw from France and is visited by people all over Europe, the ride ops are phenomenal with directing people with only hand gestures.

GEDC1739.jpg

GEDC1741.jpg

The station includes a fly through and automatic storage lockers for your Stuff.

GEDC1744.jpg

GEDC1745.jpg

I road towards the front (where a single spot was.) The ride was fast paced with lots of twists and turns.  It was very re-ride able. My only complaint was every time i expected a pop of airtime, it was lacking.  This could be due to the 50 degree weather (F).

Next off to Blue Fire, which was my favorite from the last trip.  No Water battle for me!

GEDC1749.jpg

Blue Fire is a launched coaster sponsored by Gasprom (Russian natural gas company).  These guys are smart they name the coasters without a copyrighted name but still get them sponsored by companies.  Wait was 60 minutes so I decided to try the single rider line again.  Score this time only 10 minutes.  The handles on the front of the seats are hooked up to a pulse meter so that you can see your pulse during the ride.  I was up to 120 right before the launch.

GEDC1747.jpg

The resort hotel entrance to the park is way in the back in Spain land.

GEDC1755.jpg

Next I went to see the black knight show.  This is typical knights jousting show (see medieval times ) and has been reworked since my last visit.  There were multiple times that knights went up into the stands and walked around.  Also a female knight was added.  They had the same preshow as last time which would never work in the US, but works really well without using words.  I almost forgot the Spanish trick riding.

GEDC1791.jpg

GEDC1794.jpg

Note that every land there is super themed even down to the restrooms

GEDC1765.jpg

Next i saw the Supr'ice Ice show.  It also had a great pre show bringing people up onto the ice.  It was themed to Halloween and went really well. Very enjoyable but short.  By the way, "Hallo" is Hello in German, so there were many many jokes about Hallo ... ween.

I walked through the Arthur and the Incredibles kids area and all I can say is Wow is this cool. If I had small kids they would love it.

GEDC1766.jpg

GEDC1768.jpg

Next was a stage show that had the theatre packed.  It included a variety of acts including a laser show similar to the one that was out in California (developed by the mouse)  and a great magician that performed in German/English and French.  Song and dance routines were included.  The whole thing was gathered up as a virus giving windows error with the different programs

Now i always giggled at this sign...

GEDC1784.jpg

Off to the parade.  It feels like a Disney one.  The music is “Monsters in the park” repeated over and over again, but the floats worked with it.  Music wise, all day the park was limited to a few songs but they loved the Harry potter songs.  Sorry for the poor pictures here it was getting very foggy

GEDC1819.jpg

GEDC1825.jpg

GEDC1826.jpg

Now I feel like it is time to go off to another coaster.  Silver Star is calling me.  This is the parking lot coaster.  What was really unnerving about today’s ride was that in the second row, I could not see the top of lift hill.  Good B&M out and back ride as usual

GEDC1832.jpg

Hey Stig when did you get there (picture taken earlier in the day)

GEDC1717.jpg

Next a portion near the front of the park opened up for the night party Mysteria.  They gave me a wristband on the way in... what is this for, oh well Pretzel and a Beer time.  This show was actually my favorite even though i was really cold.  Stage show with live band, singers that sing the song live, fireworks, and Circ de sole style acrobatics.  Surprise, my wristband lit up to colors in coordination with the music.

I had never heard "Walk this way" played by a girl on a electric Violin.

For the last number, they announced 40 years ago when E.P. was started, one of the best songs ever was penned.

In knew right away Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.  They even used video of the performers singing with the same style as the original music video.  I took a video of that, but the pictures turned out terrible.

IMG_20151101_120037302.jpg

Next I boogied over to an indoor theatre and got to watch spook me the musical.  Being a musical, it was all sung in German.  Thankfully they had English subtitles on one screen, and French on another.  The story was all about a ghost dying because his son ghost is in love with a human.

I bought some souvenirs on the way out.  Interestingly with horror nights,  unless you are in a scare zone, they do not try to frighten you.  The scare actors pose for pictures with everyone

GEDC1829.jpg

They try to wring every cent out of you, by selling stuff right in front of the parking lot

GEDC1834.jpg

Later tonight or tomorrow, I will add some more pictures since the park is just so well themed and gorgeous.

• Like 5

One more point i forgot to mention, even though 6pm was when they closed down Greece for the fright zone, they had mini fright zones running all day.  One ride would be shut down for a couple of hours and it would be a small one that even kids could do.  I did not go to the big pay one, not my bag baby.

Hot dogs have different toppings that I am used to

GEDC1718.jpg

They actually want the guests to dress up.  This shop sold the colored contacts, and others sold onesies to wear.

GEDC1710.jpg

They have special eateries for Halloween

GEDC1725.jpg

Cool little art is everywhere

GEDC1735.jpg

GEDC1736.jpg

Wodan pics

GEDC1742.jpg

Zip tie?

GEDC1743.jpg

GEDC1748.jpg

I have Never seen a 1 minute wait time.